For Mikie or Anyone--Viral Infections

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CATLADY912, Jun 18, 2003.

1. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

Mikie, you talked about a herpes viral infection in one of your post to me. Do you think this might have something to do with fibro???

I had chicken pox at age 13.
    When I was 32 years old I developed my first herpes cold sore on my chin which had blister's on it, caused me to have enlarged lymph nodes in my neck, gave me a headache,caused allot of fatique. I felt bad then like a had fibro then.
    I felt bad for about 10 days and I had to wait for those blisters to open and seep. thru the next couple of years I would develope one if I was in the Sun to long or it was close to my period.

The doctor I worked for at that time told me it was a virus that lived in my spine and laided dominat till something
    triggered it to come out.

Now I don't get them but do get some type of ulcers on my gums now and then.

Do you think this might have something to do with Fibro?????
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

You could also be sick with another of the Herpes-family viruses. Researchers are looking into how viral, fungal, and bacterial infections affect our illnesses. Herpes viruses never leave the body; as your doc said, they lie dormant and reactivate when the immune system is stressed.

EBV, CMV, and HHV-6 seem to be the more virulent of the Herpes viruses. HHV-6 seems to be a virus of opportunity and is prevalent in people with AIDS. Some believe HHV-6 is what makes people with AIDS so sick and not the HIV virus.

I don't want to go to the trouble of finding out which Herpes virus is making me sick; I just want to heal. I am really hoping the Famvir will help. I believe many of us are suffering from chronic viral infections.

Love, Mikie
  3. athome

athome New Member

CATLADY---

THIS CERTAINLY SOUNDS VERY FAMILAR FOR A LOT OF THE CFS/FM COMBINED SUFFERERS AROUND HERE.

PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS SAY I HAD CHICKENPOX TWICE, SECOND TIME I REMEMBER WAS WHEN I WAS NINE YEARS OLD---HAD BEEN UNDER TERRIBLE STRESS FOR A COUPLE YEARS---HAD VERY BAD ITCHING AND SWELLING BEHIND KNEES, DOWN LEGS, IN ELBOWS AND ON ARMS---BLISTERS THAT OOZED, DRIED. SOME DAYS COULDN'T BEND LEGS. COLD SORES ON MOUTH THEN TOO.

WAS SEVENTEEN WHEN I HAD EXTREMELY BAD FLU AND FOUR MONTHS LATER, FIRST HAD MONONUCLEOSIS. HAD THAT AGAIN AT AGE 20 AND AGAIN AT AGE 48, WHICH IS WHEN I TOTALLY COLLAPSED, SPENTSEVERAL YEARS MOSTLY IN BED, AND WAS DX DD.

NOW A COLD SORE, OR SEVERAL, AND SORES IN MOUTH OR ON GUMS, OFTEN PRECEDE A PAIN AND FATIGUE FLAREUP.

EVEN THE COLD VIRUS CAN MAKE ME VERY SICK,TURNS TO FLU-LIKE SYMPTOMS UNLESS I PAY ATTENTION AND TAKE QUICK ACTION AND SEVERELY LIMIT ACTIVITY UNTIL BETTER.

ONE THING THAT I'VE FOUND THAT REALLY HELPS SHORTEN THE COLD'S DURATION IS THE ZINC GEL---ZICAM.

DON'T THINK I'VE OFFERED MUCH "HELP,"JUST SOMEWHAT SUPPORTING YOUR SUSPICION.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/18/2003]
  4. CATLADY912

CATLADY912 New Member

Thank you both for your answers. I think for some reason that this viral thing has allot to do with it. I remember exactly how I felt when I broke out with a cold sore on my chin. I felt then just about the way I feel now. I have been taking zivorax for maintenance to keep the mouth sores down and have felt a little better since I started taking them every day. But I feel sure that there is something else that goes along with it.

Blessings,
    Janice
  5. nancyw

nancyw New Member

Hi Catlady (I'm another cat lady!): Just thought I'd throw my two cents in. I've had canker sores since I was 2 years old and also had a weird (staff?) infection on the side of my mouth (outside) that doc's had a heck of a time getting rid of; I still have a scar. Docs/dentists have always told me the canker sores were a "virus" I had and would probably never go away. When I get stressed, they get worse; example - when my dad died, I had about 8 within two days. Canker sores have changed subsided somewhat, but I will get "bumps" on the top of my mouth that just break open to a hole which I'm sure is this same virus. I'm sure this "virus" is related to the fibro and it's probably another thing we just have to live with. Lovely! Anyway, the best thing I've found for any mouth sores is Orabase with benzocaine. It was given as a prescription (long ago), but is now available over the counter. Numbs the sores and helps heal quicker. Good luck.
  6. jan23

jan23 New Member

Mikie and others out there.I contracted herpes simplex 1 at the age of 21,a bummer but you learn to overcome these chalenges in life.Stress always sets it off and when ever you catch a cold it's three times as bad as most peoples symptoms. I have major flu like symptoms when I have a flare up, along with extreme swelling. muscle pain,spasms, stiffness,nausea,fever and severe head aches. This can last for as long as three to four weeks, the virus works in two week cycles. There is definately a connection!!!!!

Cranky