For Mikie

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Adl123, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Thank you for the answer to my question about the oil paints. I followed our suggestions and am slowly but surely getting better!
    About my bone marrow infection, Nothing can really be done about it because I am allergic to all 5 basic groups of antibiotics, and until they start making antibiotics from an entirely new strain, I cannot take them. I tried having the mail pockets of infection surgically removed, but had an episode on thT table because of a reaction to the anesthetic. the surgeon told me to live with it, rather than take that chance agan. Now I take echinacea with goldenseal on a regular bsis, hoping that the spread of the effects of the infection wll be slowed. Thanks, again.
    Love, Adele
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There is an alternative to antibiotics; they are called phages. Most of the research on phages is being done in Georgia, Russia. I don't know what research is being done in the rest of the world, but if it were me, I would check it out.

I had a staph infection in my armpits which was resistant to ABX. Finally, the doc scraped the pus from several lesions and sent it off somewhere where they made a staph toxoid serum for me. I was injected with it until my immune system started to take over.

I don't know if any of this will be helpful for you, but it might be worth a shot.

Love, Mikie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I found this just messing around with a web search:

Brief Background of Bacteriophages
    "Before penicillin became the medical world's darling, crusading doctors crisscrossed the globe armed with bacteriophages, bacteria killing viruses that, when administered to diseased patients via injection or potion, could be powerful healers" U.S. News and World Report; Return of a killer -Phages may once again fight tough bacterial infections; November 2, 1998

Bacteriophage Definition. Simply stated, phages are viruses that infect bacteria. Like all viruses, phages are metabolically inert in their extracellular form and reproduce by insinuating themselves into the metabolism of the host bacteria. The viral DNA is then injected into the host cell, where it directs the production of progeny phages. These phages burst from the host cell, killing it and then infecting more bacteria. There are innumerable types of phages, each capable of eradicating its host bacterial species. They are abundant in the biosphere and it is important to note that phages only attack bacteria and have not been found to have adverse effects on humans or other animals.

Bacteriophages were discovered over 80 years ago, independently by both French and English scientists. It was quickly realized that phages had the potential to kill the bacteria that caused many infectious diseases in humans, as well as in plants and animals. An institute for the study and production of phages was founded in the mid 1930s in the Soviet Republic of Georgia and remains active today. In the West, research into and application of phage therapy has been limited, with nominal commercialization. Its use all but ceased in the 1940s with the emergence of penicillin and other chemical antibiotics. However, over the last ten years there has been renewed interest in phage therapy, due largely to the growing resistance of many strains of bacteria to existing antibiotics.

Several companies in the United States are working on the development and commercialization of therapeutic phages. These companies believe that bacteriophages can solve contamination problems in food processing, where it is seeking regulatory approval for its initial products, in hospital and environmental sanitation, and in human therapeutics where the company has several candidate products ready for clinical trials.

Love, Mikie

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Love, Mikie