? for Nanjee about toprol

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by proteinlady, Dec 4, 2005.

1. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

Thank you for you response about toprol. How much more does your heart rate drop when you go from 12.5 to 25 mg? I tried the 12.5 mg dose and it dropped my HR down to 63. I'm trying to decide if I should try the 25 mg. I'm real nervous that the higher dose may drop HR down to far.

Thank you very much for the help. I truly appreciate it.
  2. Kacjac

Kacjac New Member

I hope I can set your mind at ease a little....
    My PCP wouldn't change my dosage, until I wore a 24hr holter monitor, so I did, then he still didn't change it, so I asked to be referred to Cardiologist. I was continuing
    to be bothered by many palpatations, is the reason for taking it. So when I went to see him, he checked me out, and I told him, my PCP was concerned about my heart rate too, he said to me, many people take up to 300mg. of Toprol XL, with no problems, he then changed my dosage from 25mg. to 50mg. now I'm doing just fine. I hope this helps you.
  3. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

4. proteinlady

proteinlady New Member

Thanks for responding. I started on beta blocker for migraine prevention-inderal to be specific at 60 mg. Decreased migraines from 10 to 2 per month and greatly reduced the intensity. HR sat around 56 on it, was really tired on it, and terrible brain fog. I let the doc talk me into upping the dose to 80 mg and I ended up in ER with HR of 46 an respiration rate of 6-I thought I was going to suffocate. Then I was switched to bisoprolol. HR was too low on starting dose of 5 mg but 2.5 mg was perfect. No brain fog, HR of 60, no migraines, aerobic capacity-just a wonderful beta blocker. When I was weaned off of serzone, I developed PVCs and the bisoprolol took care of those too.

Now blood pressure has shifted from 110/70-127/78 range to 122/75 to 135-140/80 range. Doc thinks migraines will be better if BP is in the lower range. He switched me to toprol XL thinking that the extended release formulation would help. 12.5 mg toprol decreased heart rate to low 60s but force of contractions were stronger and PVCs were worse-BP was higher too. I talked to doc today. I'm going to try 25 mg. If PVCs are not better will go back to bisoprolol and add a low dose of ACE inhibitor.

Once again thank you. It's nice to know I'm not the only one super sensitive to beta blockers.

Paula