For: OBRNLC

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by waxdiva, Feb 10, 2007.

1. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

Has Allegheny Medical's FM program helped you? Is their FM program similar to UPMC's (2x week, lots of group participation and therapy)?

Is your pain doctor located on McKnight Road? I have my first appt with a pain management doctor on the 23rd and wondered if you're treating with the same doctor.

Also, I just signed with Berger & Green to handle my SS case (was just denied). Did you have any experience with them?

I'm sending you good thoughts about your hearing on Tuesday!

Wax
  2. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

bumping...
  3. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

4. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi waxdiva,
    sorry it took so long to respond, every second i spend on this comp. (and i can't do many) has been researching the ssa rules, etc. for my hearing, i am spazzing! AM (they have a website) helped mostly by being supportive and their documentation and testing. After 2 years on my first go around (in 03-04) they told me i really wasn't making any progress, but it was great to have someone actually BELIEVE ME (you know what i mean after being through this) that it was worth the 100 mile round trip 2-3 x/week.
    They offer a comb. of medical eval (they check thyroid, alot of diff bloodwork,x-rays, sleep studies, emg, etc, but have the testing done at your local facilities whereever your insur. (if you have it) will pay, unlike the FFC which i couldn't afford (but would have tried it i could) They do the x-rays there. The muscle testing, etc. is done on site, but has always been included in what my insur pays (i pay $15 copay/visit with this insurance but paid $50/month with old). And they will work with you on payment, including eating a portion if nec.
    Then after initial consult (free) with Dr. Neal (director and "fibro expert") will direct you through the rehab process (they have nutritionists, chiropractors, large PT area, and a wonderful caring staff) They did have a support group in 04 but no longer, although sometimes Dr. Neal will have a workshop and discuss new findings, etc., usually highly advertised in Pgh. papers)
    I have tried alot of new stuff, supplements, etc, including one that was promising for most, didn't work for me, called "taurox) down there.
    This go around, in 06-07 has mainly been to gather documentation, like i said it is a 100mile round trip and if i can make it once a week i am lucky! I come from the new castle area, and saw a pain doc here til he declared me as "chronically stable" and sent me back to my own doc for pain management but of course a pcp couldn't prescribe that kind of meds on a reg. basis or the DEA would've been all over him, so now i see a guy in the sharon area.
    Another option that i tried in your area (uniontown? by the cent. 3 mall) was a process called "PRRT" that consisted of 4 treatments where the therapist ( A PT guy, so is billed as 4 pt sessions for insur.) shows and teaches you this process for "primal reflex relief technique" and when he did it the results were amazing but i could never get it myself, although others have had amazing results. This therapist (same name as a certain muppet creator) shows and does the most simple of exercises, such a stretch with a pencil under your finger, or a pushing in the back of your upper gumline, sounds crazy but it DOES release the tight bands that are causing so much muscle fatigue!
    Unfortunately for me by the time i made that trip back north, was all tightened up again and could never get the same results! I can't remember the guy who created its name, brain fog ya know, but if you google the technique, it will come up and if it reminds you of a dog food, its the right one.
    sorry to be so rambling, a nervous wreck here, will keep in touch thou, get on the allegheny medical pc site (google or run the word together and add a 'dot com", a trip there for consult is free, it is right past the robinson mall on 60 (exit 2 montour run road).
    Take Care--L
  5. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

6. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

It sounds like AM's program is like UPMC's FM program; after I got a phone call to tell me that I was accepted into their program, I told them I was not interested.

Maybe 10 years ago I would have done it, but at this point, absolutely not. I was in a car accident in 1984 and in looking back, I realized that all of these medical maladies started taking place after the accident. I have been through medical misery; I've had six facial reconstructions, various surgeries on other body parts, traveled everywhere for help (Cleveland and Mayo Clinics), had injections, PT and have been through enough group therapy that I could conduct them. So, I have nothing against integrative programs, but I do much better one-on-one with one doctor.

I live in Ross Twp (North Hills); how far are you from there?

Also, what's your SS attorney's name? Are you satisfied with what they are doing for you?

Let me know...
    Wax
  7. obrnlc

obrnlc New Member

hi wax--i live about 45 miles north of the airport, very close to the ohio line. I hope i am satisfied with my attorney, we never really got a chance to "bond" since everything happened so quickly after i hired him, and he sort of scared me, but i think it went well yesterday, i sure hope so. When it came down to written support from AM, i certainly fell through the cracks this time (alot more helpful with LTD years ago) but i think i did OK without them, it just made me feel very betrayed! I sure am cancelling all of my prior recommendations of them, though! Hope you have found a winner--Happy VD--L
  8. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

Just wanted to wish you good luck with your SS case. I filed a claim in September and got my denial letter 2 weeks ago. I called Berger & Green immediately; so far, so good.

Keep me posted...

Wax