For Pam d---Update on Treatment

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by karen2002, Nov 15, 2002.

1. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hey Pam--
    Five Days on the Nystatin Now!
    Not bad Pam!
    Hey here is something I forgot to mention to you--you might ask the Doc about before starting your treatment.
    I started one month before my Nystatin treatment taking Berberine. I think this really made a difference Pam!
    I have not had the kick in the butt, like so many predicted with the Nystatin treatment. Think I had some die off due to the Berberine that was more gentle.
    I have not been thrown into a flare, I do have diarehah..hell I never could spell that word! lol, and VERY occasional stomach cramps...not bad!
    Heres the info on berberine :)
    Karen

Berberine-containing plants are used medicinally in virtually all traditional medical systems, and have a history of usage in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine dating back at least 3,000 years. Berberine has demonstrated significant antimicrobial activity against bacteria, fungi, protozoans, viruses, helminths and chlamydia. In addition, berberine's actions include: antagonism of the effects of cholera and E. coli heat-stable enterotoxin, inhibition of intestinal ion secretion, inhibition of smooth muscle contraction, inhibition of ventricular tachyarrhythmias, reduction of inflammation, elevation of platelet count in patients with primary and secondary thrombocytopenia, and stimulation of bile secretion and bilirubin discharge. Berberine's most common clinical uses include: bacterial diarrhea, intestinal parasites, and ocular trachoma infections. Evidence also suggests intravenous berberine administration can play a role in preventing the onset of reentrant ventricular tachyarrhythmias and sudden coronary death after myocardial ischemic damage. (Alt Med Rev 1997;2(2):94-103)

2. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hey Pam--
    Five Days on the Nystatin Now!
    Not bad Pam!
    Hey here is something I forgot to mention to you--you might ask the Doc about before starting your treatment.
    I started one month before my Nystatin treatment taking Berberine. I think this really made a difference Pam!
    I have not had the kick in the butt, like so many predicted with the Nystatin treatment. Think I had some die off due to the Berberine that was more gentle.
    I have not been thrown into a flare, I do have diarehah..hell I never could spell that word! lol, and VERY occasional stomach cramps...not bad!
    Heres the info on berberine :)
    Karen

Berberine-containing plants are used medicinally in virtually all traditional medical systems, and have a history of usage in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine dating back at least 3,000 years. Berberine has demonstrated significant antimicrobial activity against bacteria, fungi, protozoans, viruses, helminths and chlamydia. In addition, berberine's actions include: antagonism of the effects of cholera and E. coli heat-stable enterotoxin, inhibition of intestinal ion secretion, inhibition of smooth muscle contraction, inhibition of ventricular tachyarrhythmias, reduction of inflammation, elevation of platelet count in patients with primary and secondary thrombocytopenia, and stimulation of bile secretion and bilirubin discharge. Berberine's most common clinical uses include: bacterial diarrhea, intestinal parasites, and ocular trachoma infections. Evidence also suggests intravenous berberine administration can play a role in preventing the onset of reentrant ventricular tachyarrhythmias and sudden coronary death after myocardial ischemic damage. (Alt Med Rev 1997;2(2):94-103)

3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm so glad it's going so well for you!! I see my new MD on Tuesday to talk about the candida issue, he's an allergist who specializes in this, and I will also ask him about the berberine. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you continue to do well, albiet with some diarrhea, cramps---gives me hope! And also that you start to see positive improvement overall! How's the diet part going?? In anticipation of doing the whole candida program, I've already started to stick pretty close to the candida diet, but I think if the doctor does find yeast is a real problem, I might invest in a couple of sessions with a good dietician so I make sure I'm doing this right. I'm not as well educated as a lot of people here on the naturopathic approach in general & yeast in particular, but I'm trying to read everything I can.

Thanks for the update, Karen & I hope so much that you find yourself noticing a decrease in FM symptoms & just a general improvement in your health. I go to a local support group & several women there said the candida elimination program made the single most positive difference in their illness, one said virtually reversing the symptoms. And that's been echoed here on this board---so maybe there's hope!

Take care & keep us posted! Glad it's going so well--
    Pam