For Paulmack and other Lovers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by rockgor, Aug 21, 2007.

1. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

of fine music, Guiness, Star Wars, President Reagan, and Oscar-winning composers.

Go to the above site to hear the opening bars of John Williams' finest score (1977) played on a bagpipe. To add authenticity the bagpiper wears a Darth Vader mask.

Thirty-five years earlier the movie King's Row, starring Ronald Reagan and Ann Sheridan, opened with the same theme by the Austrian composer Erich Wolfgang Korngold.

Coincidence, tribute or plagerism. Only Darth Vader knows.
    Well, maybe John Williiams.

2. victoria

victoria New Member

maybe lovers of Ireland besides lovers of Guiness?

And, what about lovers of leprechauns, huh?

... plus the fact the landscape the player is in looks rather arid, is he on Mars or the Sahara?

LOLOL....... weird connections all the way around!

So my guess is -- he is an unhappy leprechaun who wears a Darth-Vader mask to protect his fair irish skin from the hot burning sun that has been transported to a planet in another galaxy where the trickle down theory of water applies?

3. paulmack

paulmack New Member

The Star Wars Bagpiper,that was pretty cool,eh,lol.
    I enjoy most things re Bagpiping.
    We had the World Bagpiping Cahmpionships in Glasgow Green 2 weekends ago & we got the highlights on TV this weekend.Despite the pouring rain that weekend it was wonderful to watch,& the sound of the pipes always gives me goosebumps.
    The Field Marshall Montgomery Band from Northern Ireland are now the World Champions.
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

the skirling of the pipes - shivers up and down my spine, brings tears to my eyes.

We have French family over, my daughter's aunt, her partner and two kids and last night they went up to Stirling Castle and there was a pipe band and Scottish dancers - they didn't expect anything to be on so were delighted.

Unfortunately I don't have a sound card or speakers for my 'new' computer yet - so I'm missing out on the star wars bagpipes - the mind boggles - will write it down and watch it when I get a card.

5. rockgor

Kings Row has a great cast, Linda, as well as a great score. I think this is the movie where Reagan says, "Where's the rest of me?"

Victoria, I love your analysis. You should be a film critic.

Is there a site where we can see the winning band, Paul? Did the winners play uilleann pipes?

It's a treat Rosie. Hurry up and get wired.

Korngold was a wunderkind. Won two Oscars in the 30s. He is buried a few miles from me in the cemetery behind Paramount Studio.

[This Message was Edited on 08/22/2007]
  6. paulmack

paulmack New Member

I'm not au fait about bagpipe terminology so not sure which type of pipes they used.
    Had a quick look on you-tube & came across 2 clips from a few weeks back.
    The first is the medley which won them the competition & from what I can gather the second clip is an impromptu performance by Field Marshall Montgomery on their way back to the bus celebrating their win,amazing.
  7. rockgor

the URLs, Paul. Very cool. Would love to visit Scotland. Just need to be a little younger, healthier, and more affluent.

Is URL the right term? Ultra righteous listing?

Hoots, Mon!