For people concerned about Malabsorption

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AndrewB, Jul 10, 2008.

1. AndrewB

AndrewB New Member

If you want your body to absorb its nutrients better, please read this.

First off, and the most important, you need to take a basic amino acid supplement that has the 20 or so essential and non-essential AAs. Regular peptide-bonded aminos are absorbed better in my opinion. But some people prefer free-form AAs. Be SURE to take them on an empty stomach.

A GOOD multi-vitamin/mineral supplement that has at least 5,000IU of vitamin A in the retinyl palmitate form (essential for protein utilization).

Sulfur such as garlic extract or MSM. Or even better, a serving of raw cabbage EVERYDAY. 1/4 of a cup of steel cut oats for breakfast no matter what else you eat will help you absorb the nutrients from the cabbage MUCH better.

EFA such as ground flax seed.

Good magnesium supplement such as Mg-Zyme or Natural Calm. Or just take mag citrate, aspartate or gluconate.

Iodine such as Prolamine or Detoxified.

Selenium from Brazil nuts or selenomethionine.

3mg of boron.

1/4 teaspoon of NATURAL salt (such as Celtic sea salt or Redmond's RealSalt) daily dissolved in water. Also cook with this salt, too.

You MAY need to take chlorella if your body is loaded with toxins.

Good luck
    [This Message was Edited on 07/27/2008]
  2. sascha

sascha Member

i'm just starting major concentrated approach to getting my innards straightened out. i knew i had IBS and leaky gut, but it hadn't bothered me much for years, until over 7 weeks of misery. so.. now i'm going to do all i can to straighten out my poor innards. i got MMS but haven't started it yet. i think you're right about oatmeal- must get that going again.

thanks for the inf. Sascha
  3. AndrewB

AndrewB New Member

NOW's "Amino Complete" is a good, cheap AA supplement to use. Their "Vit-Min 75+" multi-vit/min is also top notch and cheap.

Yes, the oats REALLY help you absorb the yttrium from the cabbage. Yttrium (a mineral) is one of three termination points needed to make a protein properly that is VERY hard to find in nutrition. It can also be found is black cherries, but it's more concentrated in cabbage. Also, with cabbage, you get sulfur, another termination point. The last termination point is hydrogen, which we have billions of from drinking water.

I let my oats soak overnight to get soft and eat them in the morning like that. But you can cook them, it doesn't matter.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Good luck Sascha
    [This Message was Edited on 07/11/2008]
  4. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

First, thank you for sharing this...I am one of these people with proven malabsorption issues...

However, having rectal bleeding and not sure of the cause, whether it is the malabsorption causing the crohn's/colitis or the other way around...I would like to think that if I fix the malabsorption, I am cured...I can dream can't I?

Flax seed~I had done Stormy's shake with the flax seed and suffered terribly, in fact that was the beginning of a major 'flare' of rectal bleeding...

Steel cut oats~I had delayed food allergy testing done and oats is a no-no for me...Likely due to eat organic oats everyday for fiber...I may try again being I am still bleeding anyway...

I eat raw cabbage all the time and Celtic sea salt as well. I will have to pick up the Amino acids, I see you use the NOW brand, which I use but I wonder about the Bragg's that some people use...

I have just completed all the tests I wanted to have done and now am looking at putting together a beneficial protocol that will complete what I have been attempting to accomplish for 18 months...

Thanks so much for this info, I printed it and will take it with me to the healthfood store...

I like that you are on the same wavelength as I and give great input on nutrition...Very much appreciated!

5. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

but I didn't see the top two things that I would use for malabsorption.

1. Betaine - due to illness and aging, we don't produce enough stomach acid to begin the digestion process, so we don't produce digestive enzymes (brought into the intestine, not stomach, by pancreas), etc, etc. Take one less than what causes you to have stomach burning. This will also help absorb minerals from food and supplements.

2. Digestive enzymes - high quality protease, lipase and amylase to digest protein, fat and carbs. These work past the stomach in the intestines.

Just a thought,
  6. AndrewB

AndrewB New Member

But it's a long process. MANY years of malabsoption will not be cured overnight. You'll probably notice something "positive" within a couple of months.

Have you tired flax oil? Fish oil is ok, but some can be contaminated with toxins. Or maybe wait and see if you can tolerate flax further down the road after starting this program.

Organic oats should work just fine.

I looked up the Bragg's aminos and they look fine. Be sure to take them on an empty stomach. You'll probably have to take about two tablespoons of it a day.

Also, the multiple vitamin/mineral is VERY important. Vit-Min 75+ by NOW is a good one. You need to take a good multi with this program that has at least 5,000IU of Vit A in the Retinyl Palmitate form.

Don't forget about the Iodine and Brazil nuts (selenium).

Good luck Mamadove

7. AndrewB

AndrewB New Member

Starting the aminos will help us produce our OWN enzymes. Sufficient protein metabolism does amazing things.

Good luck
  8. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

I don't think you are grasping how the digestive system works.

Google or wiki the pancreas.

You can take aminos till you are blue in the face, if the mechanical system is not working, you will not absorb nutrients.

Just my opinion. Your list if very good but missing the top two things to help with malabsorption.

9. AndrewB

AndrewB New Member

It won't hurt and will probably help. The doctor who "invented" this program says to take digestive enzymes when infections are present. But that's just more $$$ added to the program.

The small amount of aminos I'm telling you to take are NOT intended to meet our physiologicol needs - that must be aquired from food. It's the balance of these aminos that enable our bodies to produce adequate amounts of digestive enzymes to completely break down dietary protein so that the aminos available in the food becomes usable to the body. So we basically use more of what we eat.

But use what works best for ya.

Good luck

10. erica741

erica741 New Member

I've been searching for a good multi-vitamin for awhile. It's so hard to figure out which one(s) are the best.

I'm not one to buy my vitamins and supplements online, so everything I take I either buy at my doctor's office or at Whole Foods.

I'm currently taking the Whole Foods brand women's multi-vitamin. I figure it's better than the drugstore brands, but still reasonably priced. I don't mind paying a lot of vitamins and supplements if I know they are superior, but I've never gotten a consensus as to which are the best products.

I'm also looking for a good magnesium supplement. My doctor want me on a magnesium pill without calcium, and either magnesium glycinate or magnesium malate. Everything I've seen in the stores are magnesium oxide or citrate.

Thanks for your help!

11. AndrewB

AndrewB New Member

The best magnesium supp out there is probably Natural Calm. Mg-Zyme would come in a close second. Mag citrate, gluconate and aspartate are the most bioavailable forms. Also, take 3mg of boron - it stops you from urinating out all your magnesium.

On the multi issue, you can't find a place that sells NOW brand? Their Vit-Min 75+ is very good and cheap. Or you could go with Bio-Multi Plus by Biotics Reasearch, but you might have a hard time finding it in stores...

Both issues you have raised are crucial!

Good luck
    [This Message was Edited on 07/27/2008]
  12. erica741

erica741 New Member

Thanks Andrew! Doesn't Natural Calm have calcium? I think I have that product and am pretty it does...I double check and sorry in advance if I was wrong!
  13. AndrewB

AndrewB New Member

You can buy it with calcium added, but the original (and most flavored) formulas don't have calcium.

Good luck
  14. AndrewB

AndrewB New Member

It DOES help with pain, but I'm not so sure it works the way Dr. St. Amand says is does. I hope I will not need it when I get completely healed. I'm still detoxing metals.... I've been on this program for about 1 1/2 years.

I've been on the guai program for about 4 1/2 years. I don't really worry about salicylates...