For Rich - Caffeine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by stacy22, May 24, 2008.

1. stacy22

stacy22 New Member

For Rich:
    I have a theoretical question about Genova's Comprehensive Detoxification Profile: If the Nodoz caffeine challenge resulted in extreme anxiety, what could be the cause? Could it be that the caffeine in the Nodoz quickly stimulated dopamine levels and some of that was converted to norepinephrine and "fight or flight" kicked in? Normally low to moderate caffeine is not a problem.

And, for instance, if the SAMe were low, would that be a factor? Do you see a way to get around this so that the test can be completed?

Thanks so much

[This Message was Edited on 05/24/2008]
    [This Message was Edited on 06/03/2008]
  2. richvank

richvank New Member

It is known that caffeine causes anxiety in some people, but I don't think the biochemical mechanism for that is known yet. It probably involves the GABA system.

It's true that caffeine stimulates dopamine and norepinephrine, but I don't think that has been connected to the anxiogenic effect of caffeine that occurs in some people.

The main action of caffeine is believed to be blocking adenosine receptors. I think this is how it ends up influencing dopamine and norepinephrine levels.

In the panel you mentioned, caffeine is used to measure the rate of Phase I detox by the cytochrome P450 enzymes. Caffeine is metabolized primarily by CYP1A2 and CYP2E1. As you may know, there are many more CYP450 enzymes, and some of the others are more relevant to metabolism of pharmaceuticals. The caffeine measurement technique doesn't reflect the activity of these other enzymes, though it is a convenient way to get some idea of how the Phase I detox is working, and there is overlap in the actions of these enzymes, so that there is some redundancy.

You might consider leaving out the caffeine and just running the test with the aspirin and acetaminophen, which will give you most of the information from the panel. If you want to know about your Phase I enzymes, you could consider taking the Genovations Detoxigenomic Profile. This looks for polymorphisms in eight of the CYP450 enzymes, including CYP2E1, but not CYP1A2.

I hope this is helpful.

Best regards,

3. stacy22

stacy22 New Member

Thanks Rich,

I wondered how the comprehensive detox test and the DetoxGenomic test overlap. My doctor also ordered me the DetoxGenomic test , MAP, and I'm also going to get Dr. Yasko's SNP test so I can have a clearer picture of what I need the most.

I also am very curious that you mentioned the GABA system playing a role, because I've noticed the GABA supplement helps my thoughts calm down, helps with my ADD, and it also helps me go into a deep sleep at night. I'm also going to try to get my neurotransmitters checked out.

Thank again for helping me understand the test better.

Take Care

4. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Sally.

You're welcome.

That sound like a good set of tests that you are getting. It should make it possible to paint a clearer picture of what's going on in your case.