Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cromwell, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

So guys, here is another question. This time re disability. As I just got the shock of my life when I discovered that my whole financial SS will be $200 a month when I hit 66, with maybe a little more coming in from UK. I got panicked. Will Dan's disability stay the same once he hits 66? He is on permanent disability for head trauma, currently gets about $500 pcm with another $100 for each Danny and me (about $700 in all and pays his own Medicare)

When a person on disability gets to retirement age, does the disability just continue or do they switch to retirement SS instead-I hope not, as he would get even less than me.

I am older than Dan and will retire first, although in fact I hardly work due to caring for both Dan and Danny and having this DD myself.

So Rocky, mrdad, and others what does happen, I cannot make heads or tails of the official blurbs.

Love Annie
  2. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I believe that Dan would remain on disability rather than
    be switch over to SS retirement program. If they were going
    to switch him over they would do that at 62 I would think
    depending on his date of birth. I turned 62 in Jan and all
    has remained the same under SS disability! It's a different
    program and the funds are from a different source than
    the SS retirement program. I'll double check later to be
    sure and others may in the interim place more definitive
    Posts. Do know that each state contribution to disability

3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I understand your concern. We keep hearing that the SS program is on the brink of collapse, the system needs to be reformed, etc. Of course the real problem is that the SS money was used to pay for the Vietnam War.

Once that was over the money was used for any and all government purposes rather than being kept in a fund for SS benefits. So it's not the system that needs reforming, it the managers of same.

I know nothing about the benefits system, except you can't trust it. Jodie has never gotten her full benefits. She says money was deducted for atty fees, but she had no atty. My mother applied when she was 65 and was turned down for no particular reason. Just an "administrative error".

I applied a few months before I turned 65 for payments to start 6 months later, but they started early so I didn't get the maximum benefit.

So the moral of all this is, you can't rely on the system doing the right thing. You have to be prepared to question and investigate and keep plugging away. But that's hard for us to do w/ our limited energy and brain fog.

I have heard people say they get supplemental payments because of financial need. I don't know if the program is also administered by the SS Administration or if by a state/county program (like the Welfare Dept.)

I'm sorry I can't give you specific info. Here in Los Angeles it has been useless to call government offices for decades. The lines were swamped w/ calls. Now you still can't get thru, but you can be "entertained" w/ recorded music.

Wish I could be more helpful, but I'm just a know-little on this subject. Good luck!

4. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I just placed your question on the Legal Forum of "Craigslist"

If you, you will see answers to your

questions come up. I don't think you need to belong to the

website in order to view answers to the Post questions.

I'll watch with you, "K"?

P.S. You mention memory problems. An "Old Guy" a few weeks back on a Public TV Station Program said that "My memory is
    so poor, the Easter Bunny trusts me to hide MY OWN eggs!
    Pretty cute, huh?

5. mrdad

mrdad New Member

There is now a response to my question on that
    indicates it remains the same. He has also left a SS website
    opening up to your very question! Just click it on to view.

That answer was the one I expected to hear as I recall seeing
    a similar answer prior.

P.S. Under SS Retirement, one has the choice of retiring at
    62 or later years at full benefits. I believe the difference
    in benefits is about 20%. To me, don't see why people wait
    to collect full benefits! The "Old Squeeze" at 62, with about
    30,000 in to it only collected for 4 or 5 months then dying
    leaving the remainder for the Gov! My older Bro. retired
    at 62 and died within 4 years! As Woody Allen said, "Take
    the Money and RUN"!![This Message was Edited on 03/21/2008]
  6. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Just going onto Craigslist now to check it out.

I will get my UK pension backdated till 60 (I am 62 in November and the USA pension now born 1946 you have to be 66 and two months to get FULL pension-that is the full $200 I presume. I will chase up on my ex diddling me out of being on the tax form years back. I also have to see whether it would be worth adding my UK pension to this one, though I think I will do better just claiming it straight from UK-it won't be much, but one never knows. This is when I was in great jobs (Head of depts. etc.) and on good money for those days - like $20,000 - very good for then. That is another thing, how do they do the conversion, as $10,000 a year was excellent pay when I set out. Do they convert to same job income now, which would be about $60,000?

Well off to Craigslist.

Love Annie
  7. mrdad

mrdad New Member

I emailed you a reply about 20 mins. ago. If you can't get
    there to the Craigslist legal forum, "google"
    then Hit "Frequently Asked Questions" at the bottom of the
    new page you will see in blue "find an answer to Your Question" Lots of stuff leads from there.

8. victoria

victoria New Member

Sorry, this is bit of a vent!...
    How can anyone plan if they keep raising the age whenever they want... I seem to remember my DH being told it would still be 65 as 'retirement age' a couple years ago (he was born in '46) altho for me it had risen to 66.5 (i'm a few years younger). NOW it is 66 for those born in 1946? Sheesh.

For us it won't matter in one sense, because he's on full SSD which is same payment as it will be under 'retirement', but I don't see how anyone can plan anything when they keep peremptorily (sp) changing things?

Not to mention there was no such provision in his private disability insurance or likely anyone else's, it automatically quits at 65 regardless if he'd have gotten SSD... talk about scary for some/many people...!

Grrrr... I would take the time to write my federal reps, but obviously it's way too late for that.

9. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Well Victoria as my dh is on SSD, though not full, but as high as they would go for him based on previous earnings, I guess you answered spot on.

Lin, mrdad and others thanks for all your useful links. I still cannot get onto that part of craigslist but Dan is going to google on the links you both provided.

Mr brother just informed me that I have to transfer my UK pension via SS here, in which case I could take retirement now as it is so low why not? They should have considered that when they have hounded me to keep on working for my medicare to be paid.

I will try and get into local office next week to clear up some omissions and see about transferring the UK portion, which is when I was earning a lot.

Either way, I think once we sell our old house, which we currently are having to rent to cover the mortgage until the housing crisis clears up, we will look here for a house that has a rental unit with it. Houses are very cheap here and I think it would make sense to get a property we can live in and also generate a little income in. Then as Danny grows older he can learn how to do this so he will then have an income as well as whatever sheltered employment he will get when he is 21 and has to leave special ed. I would like to rent to someone who was disabled and needed someone to help them a little from time to time rather than to a student, which is where most rentals go here.

Well thanks a lot guys. Boy Lin "It aint 'alf cold 'ere t'day, that wind cud blow yer bloomin'socks orf."

Love Annie
  10. mrdad

mrdad New Member

The only helpful thing about getting into Craigslist is to
    access the website at SSA that I pretty much left you on the email I sent. So no need to fret over not being able to find
    it, but it would be so helpful to have that future reference!
    Lots of good topics on their Forums that get play from all
    over the Country.

As means of suggestion, it may be a good idea to make an appt.
    with a SSA office and bring all your questions to them for
    clarification. That way within an hour, you will pretty much
    have the info needed to evaluate your status and derive a
    "plan". Your situation is more complicated do to the varying
    issues you and the Danny's fine yourselves. But I know you
    will figure it out and devise a plan of action that will
    work for you. Have a great Easter Holiday Annie!