For Salsa and other ankle twisters - ankle strengthening ex.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Oct 12, 2002.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

This is in response to salsa's post. So many of us twist our ankles on a regular basis. My physio. gave me these exercises and they helped a lot in a very short time.

They are very simple to do and take very little time once you get the hang of it.

1. Stand on the bottom stair (if you fall you don't want it to be too far!). If you need to hold onto the railing very lightly, do so. Move your feet so that the backs of your feet are off the stair - the middle of the balls of your feet and your toes should be on the stair.
    Slowly rise on the balls of your feet. Slowly lower your feet. Repeat 15 times twice a day.

2. Using your ankle and foot only, trace the letters of the alphabet from A to Z. Do as many times in the day as you think about it.

3. Stand up. Balance on the right foot (Hold onto something lightly if you have to.) Slowly rise on the ball of the foot. Slowly lower the foot but do not touch the floor with your heel until you have done 10 reps. Do twice a day.

4. Standing with both knees bent and one foot back, gently lean into the wall with your palms flat against it until stretch is felt in lower calf. Hold for 30 sec. Repeat 2-3 times, 3 times a day.

5. Keeping back leg straight, with heel on floor and turned slightly outward, lean into wall with your palms flat on the wall until a stretch is felt in calf. Hold for 30 sec. Repeat 2-3 times, 3 times a day.

6. Attempt to balance on one leg. (If you need to hold onto something lightly do so.) Begin with eyes open and then attempt to perform exercise with eyes closed. Hold for 10 sec. Repeat 10 times.

These last 3 exercises require a long rubber exercise band or rubber tubing which you tie in a loop to the leg of a table or something else that is sturdy. You must slide your foot into the loop so you are giving your ankle resistance.

7. Place your foot in the loop so that the end of the loop is around the ball of your foot (I am describing this from a diagram so I hope this is clear) - just where the bump is on the inside of your foot below the big toe.
    With leg relaxed, gently turn ankle/foot in and out. Move through full range of motion. Avoid pain. As you become stronger you can move farther away from the table or tie the rubber tighter. Repeat 15 times with each foot. Do 2 sets once a day.

8. This is the same as #7 but reversed.
    Place your foot in the loop so that the end of the loop is just below your baby toe.
    With leg relaxed, gently turn ankle/foot in and out. Move through full range of motion. Avoid pain. You can make the rubber tubing tighter as you get stronger. Repeat 15 times with each leg. Do 2 sets once a day.

9. Sitting down, put foot in loop so that it is firmly around your foot just below the toes. Pull foot toward face. Return slowly to starting position. Relax. Repeat 15 times with each foot twice a day.

Hope this is helpful for some of you! Pepper

[This Message was Edited on 10/12/2002]
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

This is in response to salsa's post. So many of us twist our ankles on a regular basis. My physio. gave me these exercises and they helped a lot in a very short time.

They are very simple to do and take very little time once you get the hang of it.

1. Stand on the bottom stair (if you fall you don't want it to be too far!). If you need to hold onto the railing very lightly, do so. Move your feet so that the backs of your feet are off the stair - the middle of the balls of your feet and your toes should be on the stair.
    Slowly rise on the balls of your feet. Slowly lower your feet. Repeat 15 times twice a day.

2. Using your ankle and foot only, trace the letters of the alphabet from A to Z. Do as many times in the day as you think about it.

3. Stand up. Balance on the right foot (Hold onto something lightly if you have to.) Slowly rise on the ball of the foot. Slowly lower the foot but do not touch the floor with your heel until you have done 10 reps. Do twice a day.

4. Standing with both knees bent and one foot back, gently lean into the wall with your palms flat against it until stretch is felt in lower calf. Hold for 30 sec. Repeat 2-3 times, 3 times a day.

5. Keeping back leg straight, with heel on floor and turned slightly outward, lean into wall with your palms flat on the wall until a stretch is felt in calf. Hold for 30 sec. Repeat 2-3 times, 3 times a day.

6. Attempt to balance on one leg. (If you need to hold onto something lightly do so.) Begin with eyes open and then attempt to perform exercise with eyes closed. Hold for 10 sec. Repeat 10 times.

These last 3 exercises require a long rubber exercise band or rubber tubing which you tie in a loop to the leg of a table or something else that is sturdy. You must slide your foot into the loop so you are giving your ankle resistance.

7. Place your foot in the loop so that the end of the loop is around the ball of your foot (I am describing this from a diagram so I hope this is clear) - just where the bump is on the inside of your foot below the big toe.
    With leg relaxed, gently turn ankle/foot in and out. Move through full range of motion. Avoid pain. As you become stronger you can move farther away from the table or tie the rubber tighter. Repeat 15 times with each foot. Do 2 sets once a day.

8. This is the same as #7 but reversed.
    Place your foot in the loop so that the end of the loop is just below your baby toe.
    With leg relaxed, gently turn ankle/foot in and out. Move through full range of motion. Avoid pain. You can make the rubber tubing tighter as you get stronger. Repeat 15 times with each leg. Do 2 sets once a day.

9. Sitting down, put foot in loop so that it is firmly around your foot just below the toes. Pull foot toward face. Return slowly to starting position. Relax. Repeat 15 times with each foot twice a day.

Hope this is helpful for some of you! Pepper

[This Message was Edited on 10/12/2002]
  3. pepper

pepper New Member

for salsa.
  4. pepper

pepper New Member

bump for Salsa.
  5. Salsa

Salsa New Member

Thank you VERY much Pepper - I am going to the health club this morning and will try some of these out today !! I have been away from this kind of excersise all summer because I spend most of my time with our 7 horses & that is a bunch of excersise by itself but as the weather gets colder then I head to the gym - thanks again - char