For Shirl

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Scotty-girl, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Scotty-girl

Scotty-girl New Member

Hi Shirl...How are you doing? Just a question. I live in Canada and am unable to buy ZMA or Melatonin here. I am unable to tolerate any meds including Gravol, over the counter sleeping pills and 5HTP without getting a hangover the next day. I note that you use Melatonin and ZMA for sleep. Just lately I have spent a lot of money on a naturopath and have got my diet under control etc but my absolute worst problem is sleep deprivation. I go to sleep easily and wake up at 3 or 4 for a couple hours. I drive myself nuts, however I do do my best thinking at that time. I was wondering do you think the ZMA alone is really worthwhile before I send away for it. If it works I would be so thankful but I am worried about side effects. I know there is a lot of information in the message boards but I would just like to get your input before I send away for it. Thanks a lot Shirl, have a wonderful holiday season.......Scotty-girl
  2. Scotty-girl

Scotty-girl New Member

Hi Shirl...How are you doing? Just a question. I live in Canada and am unable to buy ZMA or Melatonin here. I am unable to tolerate any meds including Gravol, over the counter sleeping pills and 5HTP without getting a hangover the next day. I note that you use Melatonin and ZMA for sleep. Just lately I have spent a lot of money on a naturopath and have got my diet under control etc but my absolute worst problem is sleep deprivation. I go to sleep easily and wake up at 3 or 4 for a couple hours. I drive myself nuts, however I do do my best thinking at that time. I was wondering do you think the ZMA alone is really worthwhile before I send away for it. If it works I would be so thankful but I am worried about side effects. I know there is a lot of information in the message boards but I would just like to get your input before I send away for it. Thanks a lot Shirl, have a wonderful holiday season.......Scotty-girl
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I have been taking the ZMA now since Feburary, I have no side effects at all. Its been the only thing in a lifetime of no deep sleep that has helped me. I hope it never ceases to stop working!

It is only 'Zinc, Magnesium and Vitamin B-6', there is nothing in it that should cause a problem that I know of. Its simply two minerals and a vitamin.

Just be sure you get the ZMA from Pro Health, or the SNAC brand (which is what Pro Health sells), I tried other brands and they did not work for me.

As for the Melatonin I have been taking it for about 10 years now, the same dosage, never had to up the amount.

I take the 3milligram of Melatonin.

Here is what I take, and when I take it;

At 6pm I take a low dose Xanax (0.25 milligrams), as I have what is called; 'Racing brain syndrome', it helps calm me down in the evening before bed.

At 10pm I take two capsules of ZMA

Right before bed (for me is about 12 midnight) I take the Melatonin.

Since adding the ZMA I now sleep at the least 7-8 hours a night, a really deep sleep. If I wake for a bathroom run, I go back to sleep. Before this, I would be up the rest of the night. I also just woke up ever hour or two all night long too.

I have no hangover the next day, I do have Fibro fog in the morning, and it has diminished about 50% since I started the ZMA. It seems the longer I take it, the better I am sleeping and I am having less pain too.

I also use a 'wireless mattress heating pad' on my bed, which helps with the morning stiffness and the pain. I don't know if you have Sear's, Penny's or Spiegel's in Canada (as you can see, I don't travel!), but all those stores carry these pads. Everyone of us that has got one loves them.

I wish you luck with the ZMA, and I hope it works for you like it did for me. It took about 10 days to see real results. Some people it works sooner, others later.

By the way, Pro Health has the best price that I have found for the SNAC brand. I don't know about shipping charges in Canada either.

I just checked the catalog, its $8.95 for shipping to Canada, one charge for an entire order. I usually order all my supplements at one time, saves me money!

Let me know how you are doing with it.

Shalom, Shirl