For Shirl

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by daylilyfan, Sep 2, 2003.

1. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

Shirl,
    I posted yesterday about "sleeping tight" and you responded....

"I take ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B-6), at 9pm"

I am unemployed right now. I have worked 2nd shift for 20 years...mainly because I am so stiff in the morning it takes me a while to get going. Well, I have 3 interviews this week - and they are all for dayshift! This has me nervous about my taking 20mg of Flexeril at night... so your ZMA suggestion really peaked my interest.

Is ZMA a brand name, or a common combination that I can find a Wal-mart type places? Or, can you tell me how much zinc, mag, and b-6 it is that I could substitute with individual bottles of each? I have never heard of ZMA before your post. Since I may have to start getting up to an alarm clock (UGH!) this may be a good thing for me to try!

Thanks so much!
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I wouldn't buy it anywhere but here. What you get at retail stores isn't always the same thing that is sold here even when it claims to be. The price here is as good as I've seen anywhere.

Shirl should be along later.

Love, Mikie
  3. daylilyfan

daylilyfan New Member

I've been reading this board for months.... and I never clicked on the "store" tab until now! I looked at the ZMA and read what it said there.

Seems so strange that something like magnesium could keep a person loosened up so they could sleep normally... but it would be worth a try!

Thanks for the reply!
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I can help in one area of your question, if you do a search on the net for Magnesium you will see why it helps 'loosening up the muscles'! Magnesium is a natural tranqulizer, plus it heals sore muscles while you sleep.

The combination in ZMA is a mystery as to why it helps with deep sleep, they originally sold it for weightlifters to heal their pulled muscles, and someone found out it actually helps with deep sleep as well as the muscle healing. This is the reason that Pro Health now sells it for us.

RLS is also to me, jerking muscles, so is that 'tight' feeling we get. So this whole combination, as simple as it sounds works for most anything that is connected to muscles.

There is a new book out now on magnesium; The Miracle of Magnesium' by Carolyn Dean M.D., N. D. It costs $13.95, and it is just wonderful on explaining all the things that magnesium does for the human body. It even helps the brain function properly.

I know you are between jobs, but when you can pick up a copy of this book, or if you are near a bookstore go give it a 'free read' (I have done this many times :), or maybe the library will have it.

Most people with FM/CFS are deficient in magnesium, and its so vital for just anyone.

Zinc is also vital for many things too, one of them is 'healing', so this may play a role in the healing the muscles too.

B-6 is also good for its tranqualizing effect, helps the brain function normal, and a host of other things!

So this combination is just great for us...

HOpe the ZMA helps you as much as it did for me!

Shalom, Shirl