For Sssupermom: Symptoms of Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pearls, Feb 17, 2003.

1. pearls

pearls New Member

Dear Sssupermom,

You can have fibromyalgia without ALL the symptoms. You don't even have to respond to all the tender points. The usual diagnostic criteria consist of two items in combination:

1)widespread pain for at least 3 months (widespread=in all four limbs, one side usually having the same sort of pain as the other)

2)tenderness in at least 11 of 18 specific places considered by the American College of Rheumatology to be tender point sites

The above is how fibromyalgia is diagnosed, but there is a host of other fibromyalgia symptoms that may come and go. Some of them include cognitive problems (short-term memory, confusion, losing things, etc.), gastro-intestinal problems (irritable bowel syndrome, acid stomach), dropping things, sleep problems, chest pain, etc.

I don't think there is a ceiling for when it keeps becoming worse, as you put it, but fibromyalgia is not progressive, and you won't die from it. There are things you can do to help yourself - and you MUST help yourself, in my opinion, because doctors are only now becoming aware of the illness. They don't know a lot about it. Now, that absolutley does NOT mean that you should try to go it alone. You MUST have medical help. You need to be armed with information so you can HELP your doctor help you.

Two really fine books I have purchased and will recommend to you are Dr. Devin Starlanl's "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome: a Survival Manual," and "The Fibromyalgia Advocate." There are also many wonderful articles in the archives section of this website.

Dr. Starlanyl has had fibromyalgia herself for a long time, and specializes in fibromyalgia research and treatment.

-Pearl