For teawah

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by northwoodssue, Mar 16, 2003.

1. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi teawah:
    I read an answer to a post by you today, andyou mentioned that you were going to start yoga and tai chi.
    I also do yoga, and have just started tai chi for about 2 weeks now.
    I love yoga. I do a type that is only slow stretching, none of that "pretzel" type stuff for this old body. It helps so much with flexibility.
    I started tai chi and I love it. It gives you increased energy and also you feel so good when you are done. It can be done easily and you get the good benefits even if you can only do a few moves a day. I can't say enough good things about it. Are you going to an instructor or trying a tape??? I went to 3 classes, and I'm glad I got to see someone actually do these movements. We also got to practice the ones we needed help with. It's great if you can do that too. I also got a video tape of Justin Stone's tai chi to try at home. I'll let you know how that works out. He's sposed to be the best with tai chi.
    Massage also helps out too.
    Please let me know what you think of the yoga and the tai chi????? I'm going to check out the chitchat boards, as I thought the chat room was the chitchat board!!!!Boy, was I confused. Maybe we can chitchat there?
    hugs,
    sue
  2. teawah

teawah New Member

I was planning on getting videos as I don't get out very much and when I do I have to go 20 miles to get to town. Well I live in a town but the population is only 1791 people so as you can guess, we don't have much for classes and such. I was going to get some videos and a matt and see what I could come up with. I am glad that someone else can offer me some insight on these things as I am flying in the dark here if you know what I mean. I really prefer a more healthy and natural aproach to this illness. Often times I have heard mention that exposer to chemicals could possibly be a part of the fibro illness. I come from farm country and when I was growing up there was a lot of crop dusting going on overhead. I can remember many times playing in fields and water ways that had been sprayed by the chemicals. As such, I am extremely wary of taking a bunch of chemicals that we don't know the long term effect to. I hear of people taking very high doses of guafenesin. Do we really know what the long term effects are of doing this? I was a guinni pig (sp?) for the docs in the 90's when they were trying other stuff that now they say is dangerous. I guess I have gotten kind of distrusting of the docs. I think that since they figure we are already messed up and useless (according to society), it won't make any difference if they experiment on us. No thanx. Not any more. I want pain meds for extreme days but I don't want to be carrying around bottles of pills just to get through the day. Call me crazy and I am sure that this attitude would piss off some people here that really depend on their drugs to get by (to each his own) but I know what works for me andI would much rather try the naturals stuff. I will let you know how things go when I get my tapes. I really think I will enjoy them both as I know stretching really makes the (MY) muscles feel better. Thanx for the message. ((((((hugs)))))))
    teawah

PS. Where are you from? northwoods? Sue
    [This Message was Edited on 03/16/2003]
  3. BluEyes

BluEyes New Member

It has been highly recommended that I try yoga and/or tai chi. since the hearest WalMart, Mcdonalds, and any REAL stores are about 150 miles away we too, do not have things like classes here. LOL
  4. teawah

teawah New Member

I planned to get them from Walmart or KMart or Costco (where they are cheaper) but I know that you can get them online. Try Amazon.com or Overstock.com or even an Engine search. There should be plenty of places to order them so you don't have to go 150 miles:) Let us know how you like them!
    teawah
  5. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

Hi Teawah and others:
    I got my tai chai video tape from my instructor, but have seen others at Target, walmart, etc. I must confess I haven't tried it yet with this new tape, but will soon. My alone time is not much, as we are living with my daughter and 2 grandsons. My soninlaw was killed in an accident last fall and we have been living with them to help her with this awful time of her life. So, my "alone" time to spend on tapes, etc is pretty nonexistant at that this time. I enjoy the classes cause I can do them without interruption.

The Justin F. Stone video is called: Tai Chi Chih! Joy tru Movement. There is a toll free telephone# on the videoand is 1-888-540-7459, and the address is: Good Karma Publishing, Inc. PO Box 511, F.Yates, N. Dakota
    58538. Hope this helps you.

I live in Bemidji, Minnesota, about 110 miles south of theCanadian line. It is a college town, so we are lucky to have instructors in all kinds of exercise, etc, thru community ed.

I gotta close saying that I have been doing some tai chi each day for a couple of weeks, and my energy level is much better, and I feel so good about myself. I don't know what it is about this, but it's great. It does not help the pain that I've noticed though, but helps firmyou up a little.

Let me know, Teawah and others how the tai chai and the yoga is going. Wish we were close and could really talk! The chitchat room is great for this too. hope to see you there. I got there every day now, it's great!
    love and hugs,
    sue
    ps, where are you from???
  6. northwoodssue

northwoodssue New Member

bumpety bumpety bump!
  7. teawah

teawah New Member

I live in southern Idaho of all places. In a tiny farming town. I love it here. Not many people around. I am not much for people.
    Thanx for the info on the tape. I'll try to find it. :)
    I don't know how to get to the chit chat forum
    can you help?
    teawah
  8. teawah

teawah New Member

bumpity bump bump bump