For Tedebear re: milk thistle

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pam_d, Oct 31, 2002.

1. pam_d

pam_d New Member

You asked about milk thistle---it's an seed that contains silymarin, which is effective in protecting the liver from toxins. Supposedly it can actually regenerate damaged liver tissue. It's recommended for people who drink alcohol, among other things; I imagine it would be useful for those taking many meds because it promotes good liver function (however I'd check to make sure there are no negative interactions with your specific drugs). I'm trying it because my liver enzyme bloodwork always comes out a little high; usually further testing (like for hepatitis, etc.) reveals nothing, but others have told me that regular doses of milk thistle can bring those liver enzymes back to normal levels. So we'll see---I have more tests in 3 weeks.
    I would think it WOULD be beneficial for those on many meds, again as long as there are are no interactions with your specific meds. Others here may shed more light on that issue...

Take care,
    Pam
  2. pam_d

pam_d New Member

You asked about milk thistle---it's an seed that contains silymarin, which is effective in protecting the liver from toxins. Supposedly it can actually regenerate damaged liver tissue. It's recommended for people who drink alcohol, among other things; I imagine it would be useful for those taking many meds because it promotes good liver function (however I'd check to make sure there are no negative interactions with your specific drugs). I'm trying it because my liver enzyme bloodwork always comes out a little high; usually further testing (like for hepatitis, etc.) reveals nothing, but others have told me that regular doses of milk thistle can bring those liver enzymes back to normal levels. So we'll see---I have more tests in 3 weeks.
    I would think it WOULD be beneficial for those on many meds, again as long as there are are no interactions with your specific meds. Others here may shed more light on that issue...

Take care,
    Pam
  3. tedebear

tedebear New Member

Thanks for responding. Is it a script? Food health store?
    Thanks again. Soft hugs.
  4. teach6

teach6 New Member

It's available on the store at this site. I buy most of my supplements here. If you join the discount shopper program you can't beat the prices and the service is also great. Just click on store and go from there.

Barbara
  5. sofy

sofy New Member

You can buy whole milk thistle in the health food store but you need to grind it in the coffee grinder to eat it. I did that because I prefer the whole food to the processed pill or tincture form.