For The Girls

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rivergal, Aug 29, 2003.

1. rivergal

rivergal New Member

Does anyone know, is Bladder Infections part of this Fibro? This is my 2nd. one this yr. YUK....I drink water & cranberry juice, & got a Doc. app. next week....Just wondered if it was part of this??
  2. Lau

Lau New Member

I too have had more frequent bladder infections with the FMS. It seems that if I am in a bad flare and still try to push myself, I get bladder infection symptoms. It has gottem to the point that if I am going to be away from home, vacation,etc. I carry the temporary over-the-counter remedies just in case. Sometimes the symptoms go away after 1 or 2 doses of this. I think sometimes, for me, it may be more of an inflamation, or mysterious fibro-like thing happening to my bladder like it effects everything else. Sometimes a full-blown infection though.

Wish I had a real medical answer for you, but through my fibro-fog I do seem to remeber reading something about this being a common problem.

Good Luck,
    Laurie
  3. tnnanatx

tnnanatx New Member

I get them often. But sometimes I feel like I have one and the test comes back negative. I'll have all the pain and discomford that goes along with it.
  4. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I just saw this somewhere but of course I can't find it now. Anyway, it is listed as a common symptom and probably linked to either mycoplasms or candida.

Maybe someone else will remember the article.

By the way, men can get urinary tract infections too. . .

JoAnn
  5. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

I just saw this somewhere but of course I can't find it now. Anyway, it is listed as a common symptom and probably linked to either mycoplasms or candida.

Maybe someone else will remember the article.

By the way, men can get urinary tract infections too. . .

JoAnn
  6. Dara

Dara New Member

infection, but it seems to stop on it's own so I think it must have something to do with the muscle/nerves or something around the bladder. In fact, I spent most of the day today in a lot of pain just as if I had a bladder infection. But tonight I'm feeling better, still a little discomfort but not as bad.

Does anyone know what the OTC remedies are for bladder infections? I think it was Lau/Lua?? that posted about them.

Dara
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We are walking petri dishes and it is not uncommon for us to have chronic infections of all kinds.

Love, Mikie
  8. Hippen

Hippen New Member

When I was younger.....not all the time just around the age of 19/20. Yes, with this diagnosis we are more prone to many infections...including bladder infections. Please be sure to urinate right after sexual intercourse as this will clear any bacteria from the urethra that has been introduced from the activity. Also, wearing nylon underwear will also contribute to frequent bladder infections. Wear white cotton underwear when possible. The nylon underwear...especially the kind without a cotton crotch area is not "urethra friendly"....*smile*. Use gentle soap in the private areas and becareful when changing soaps suddenly. Drinking "real" lemon water is another way to help prevent bladder infections. Helps to change the acidic levels in the bladder therefore helping to prevent bacteria from thriving. Also, if you do have a bladder that reoccurs often...make sure a urine culture is done to see exactly what bacteria is causing the infection.
    Sometimes the doctors will give a broad spectrum antibiotic that does not kill the bacteria infecting your bladder. Sometimes the infection will become chronic if you do not have the specific antibiotic needed to kill the bacteria. Women do not douche unless specifically directed by your doctor. Douching is not needed and regular washing with soap and water is the only thing we need unless specifically required for a certain situation. One more thing...*smile* do not wear deodorant pads, tampons, or use feminine deodorant sprays in the private areas. Sometimes, a sagging uterus will irritate the bladder causing infections. Make sure you have pelvic exams often to ensure this is not the source of your infections...this is a rare condition but does happen in some women especially those that have given birth. Love, Hippen
  9. SPR30

SPR30 New Member

I have frequent urinary discomfort as well as several kidneys stones. The most trouble I have had has been since my hysterectomy. Low estrogen can trigger UTIs and Yeast infections or bacteria free symptoms too. I know FMS causes and triggers alot of things, but there can be an estrogen connection to consider as well. Hope I have given a bit more insight. Take care, give yourself a (gentle) hug today!!!
  10. monicacat

monicacat Member

Are supposed to be very good for bladder infections.
    Safeway and Trader Joe's have the best frozen organic
    blueberries.

Try eating some everyday.

Monicacat
  11. shipsing

shipsing New Member

Hi,
    I used to have UTI's all the time, and yes about hald the time I was tested, the bacteria count was not high enough for them to call it bladder infection.
    I went to the health food store and bought a product called Cranactin, it's a very concentrated form of Cranberry's, the part that helps with UTI's. When a UTI started to come on I would start taking "the stuff", 2 or 3 capsule's 3 or 4 time's a day.
    After a while I noticed a pattern, when i would start to get stressed is when I would begin to feel the pain, so I started watching that as we all have stress and our body's tense up from stress. The ureathra is a muscle and I found that when I was stressed I was unconsiously clenching it, now I make sure that I keep that muscle relaxed and guess what? I don't have near as many UTI's.
    Hope this helps someone else.
    shipsing
  12. jacqui_k

jacqui_k New Member

That probiotics can help to decrease the number of bladder infections etc.....Don't know if this true, I've just started with the probiotics so am unable to give my opinion as yet, maybe someone else knows more.

Jacqui