For the Juicing Experts

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Apr 24, 2006.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i've just been turned on to the juicing lifestyle big time. my baby is a breville and i love her. my question is about wheatgrass. is it absolutely essential to juice wheatgrass with a separate wheatgrass juicer? i've thrown some wheatgrass into the breville but a whole handful might only produce one drop of juice! i've read that certain fruit/vegetable juicers will not juice wheatgrass while others will??

eddie
  2. UnicornK

UnicornK New Member

3. Aeronsmom

Aeronsmom New Member

we're bumping this up for you.
    How do you like your juicing so far?? I'm thinking about getting a juice machine but don't know what brand yet.
    Good luck with your question.
    Ann
  4. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Mine is the one by Jack Lanamme (I know I spelled that wrong).

It says you can juice wheatgrass too but mine only produces a little bit too. The one I have is really good about getting all the juice it can out of stuff too. My pulp is usually really dry where my juiceman jr.'s pulp was really moist.

I think and don't quote me but I think this is just par for course with the wheatgrass.

Hopefully someone else will be able to shed some more light on it but in my juicing experience this is how wheatgrass is.

The good thing though is that wheatgrass is easy to grow and it grows back fast after cutting so if you do have to use a ton of it isn't that bad.

Okay hope this helps!

kate
  5. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

ann, i would totally recommend getting a juicer. i've been really surprised at how good fresh vegetable juice tastes. apples and carrots are the great equalizers. add either or both to any veggie mix and it tastes just right. they help to keep the green veggies from overpowering the juice. i had a revelation not too long ago that i'm taking all these vitamins ...why?! most of them are available in food, and with the absorption problems we face, you're more likely to absorb vitamins from juice than a capsule. so i'm slowly but surely trying to get to a place where 50% of my diet is raw whether it be juices, nuts, whatever. a raw diet seemed like a far-fetched dream to me until i started juicing.

eddie
  6. Suzyque45

Suzyque45 New Member

Just wanted to say about the wheatgrass...when you juice it wrap the wheatgrass up in any other veggie you maybe juicing at that time, that way it will juice down better instead of zip around the machine. like if you are having spinage or beet tops...things like that, put the wheatgrass inside the big leafy veggie...also remember you don't need alot of juice to get big time goodness from it. so if it says only that much then thats all you need, when it is done fresh, you get alot of goodness from it. It's when it sits around for any length of time is when they lose it's goodness.
  7. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Eddie~

You really just gave me an "aw-ha" moment!....
    A few months ago i started taking sooo many supplements, and i think i am having a hard time absorbing them.... my stomach is in a knot all the time. It quit literally feels like a washing machine in there!!

Is breville the brand name of the juicer you use??

TM~
  8. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

gigi/TM, i use the Breville JE900 Juice Fountain Professional Juice Extractor. breville makes a number of higher-priced models (the je900 costs $120), but i honestly can't figure out how they could improve on the je900. the more expensive ones are simply a little more modern looking and/or have different speed controls, but the je900 is all you really need.

i'm up to about three glasses a day (1 fruit, 2 veggie) and i almost don't want to eat solid food anymore. last night i had some corned beef and cabbage and i was in a stupor afterwards! i had to lay down and take a nap. the juice energizes me, never drags me down.

have fun and let me know how it goes!

eddie
  9. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

Eddie~

Thanks for the reply!!

Can i find this at Bed Bath & Beyond??
    or where do you suggest?

TM~
  10. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

11. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

One warning about the powerful breville juicers. (You might remember I have just started juicing, not yet one week - old.)

This was not quite a spontaneous decision to buy a juicer...had bought the book a year ago....but HAPPENED to walk by a display of kitchen appliances and the juicer jumped out at me. This happened in Newport. Spontaneously, I thought "it's about time you got off the fence, here is one right in front of you, just do i.t"

(I am making a short story long here) BUT wanted to make the point that I was prepared in that I had some some reading....and felt I was being "guided" to buy a juicer THAT day.

So, now to my point, I read the instructions, plugged the thing in, turned it on.....it is very powerful (please see the other thread about this, search by my name).......

Once I got over the FEAR, I juiced EVERYTHING in the refrig.

Food shopping day was not for another two days.

There sat the Breville on the kitchen counter, somewhat near my dear refrigerator.

I swear, the next morning when I came downstairs, the Breville was closer to the refrig with a somewhat lustful look at the refrig............and the refrig was looking a little pale.

Then again the following morning, well, the Breville was closer yet, looking more bold and hungry rather than lustful, and the refrig was trembling.

MY POINT: Make sure you have enough veggies and fruit BEFORE you start juicing..... I do think my Breville could devour the refrig.

Fondly, June

PS: Also, maybe it is my imagination, but since I started juicing, I have felt more nourished. For some time now, after eating, the feeling would be, I have eaten but do not feel nourished.

[This Message was Edited on 04/29/2006]
  12. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Eddie, I have found one thing I don't like about the Breville and since I did not do any comparison shopping the day I "bumped" into it, I am not sure if other juicers are the same.

The container for the juice should be glass. No? It is hard to see inside, to be sure it is clean when washing.

I have a LARGE, fat and tall glass measuring cup I am using now. While juicing, watching the color of the juice develop adds yet another sensory pleasure to the process.

Is there a reason the container is grey? The frother attachment is handy, but wish the container were clear.

Do you use something different?
  13. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

~Gigi~ I really appreciate the tip about the juicer!!! That's a gr8 price!!! ;-)
    I think we are on the same page here.... may i ask what kind of "protein" dinners you have planned?

And Eddie, thanks again for the post!... i too would have never learned about this juicer without it! I am so excited to get started!

June~ You are a trip girl! So funny,......
    I really liked that site you listed on your other post!!!.... I'm going to order that juicing book soon!! Looks good!... i know what you mean about not feeling "nourished" after eating.... in fact i worry more about how many poisons may have just entered my body!!

Thanks again everyone for the gr8 info!!

TM~
  14. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hi june, i agree that the opaque juice catcher isn't the best for cleaning. on the other hand, i've already dropped it twice so i'm glad it's plastic. clear would be nice though. i guess ideally it goes in the dishwasher after every use but if you use it a couple times a day, that's not really practical.

$94 is a great price! i got mine for $104 and thought i was getting the best deal out there.

my love affair with my juicer deepens everyday. i haven't been napping as much and i'm even noticing my constantly tight hamstrings starting to relax a little. the only downside i've noticed is that large meals become even harder to eat. my stomach just doesn't like them since i started treating it to juice. i think i could just live on juice with an occasional handful of nuts, some oatmeal for fiber and bean dishes or tuna for protein. that's where i'd like to get to.

cheers,
    eddie
    [This Message was Edited on 05/01/2006]
  15. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

You DROPPED the juice catcher TWICE!!

Was there juice in it??????????????????

We have noticed you falling more deeply in love with your juicer from your affectionate posts.

We hope this won't develop into Juicers Anonymous depths.

Here's to your health also.

June

16. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

ha! there was no juice in it. that would be a real mess considering how many beets i'm juicing. the kitchen would look like a crime scene!

yes, my love affair does deepen everyday. unfortunately, there are laws against marrying a kitchen appliance and consummating the relationship could be hazardous to my health ;)

certifiable juiceaholic,
    eddie
  17. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Remember now, I am new to juicing....

but I find that beets have a very strong flavor, and I have begun to cut back a little on the recepies adding not quite of the beet as the recepie calls for.

Is the beet juice an acquired taste. I like beets "cooked" or have I not hit the RIGHT recepie for the beet.

Fondly June
  18. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

most recipes i've seen call for a half a beet with the greens, but never a whole beet. beet juice is powerful stuff. one book i have says that too much pure beet juice can paralyze your vocal cords and cause racing heart! so always make sure to dilute it with green and/or carrots.

e.
  19. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

Thanks!

I also have not come across a receipe for a whole beet, but the 1/2 beet was too strong I thought, so if it says 1/2 beet, I am trying 1/4 instead.

Thanks for the heads up on vocal cord paralysis though, who would have thought that!!!!

Considering all the hard work Breville has been doing, have you taken her out on a date yet?????

June
    [This Message was Edited on 05/03/2006]