for the polls... who's had it since childhood??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dlizard, Sep 6, 2002.

1. dlizard

dlizard New Member

I understand what ya'll are trying to do with the polls... but I'm gonna ask the question... who here besides myself had these symptoms BEFORE* any physical/emotional stress happened>???? I for one have had symptoms since I was 10... perhaps even before that. I had bad bad leg cramps back then and when I was 18, got a folate defiency anemia and almost died with a hemoglobin of 2... My childhood was pretty dang normal. Noone died , no accidents, my parents are perfectionists but I am too so that never bothered me LOL>>> but realistically ya'll... I know I had this as a child. I was the one branded by the doc with "growing pains" and frequently had allergies and colds... its become perfectly obvious to me that I was most likely "born" with it. which leads me to this... I think there may be two kinds... I think perhaps one day a gene will be discovered that carries this disease as a dominant or recessive trait. I also think it is most likely a neuro disease kinda like MS or something. But back to the point of two separate types of illness.. the one who are born with <?> vs teh accquired.... it would make sense to me as a nurse to say that stress ( mostly physical and I mean like surgery or accidents but even emotional types of abuse) is the underlying predominant factor... Perhaps some of us are so stressed at birth that this activates a chain reaction that others get later from exposure to viruses or enviromental toxins etc... I think if we are gonna do research... this is a valid point! I know I've had this since I was very very young. It's sad that noone recognized it to treat and study. I've been told so many times its all in my head! but its in my body LOL>>>> and I know that in my heart..... ok so anyone else have this as a child???????
  2. dlizard

dlizard New Member

I understand what ya'll are trying to do with the polls... but I'm gonna ask the question... who here besides myself had these symptoms BEFORE* any physical/emotional stress happened>???? I for one have had symptoms since I was 10... perhaps even before that. I had bad bad leg cramps back then and when I was 18, got a folate defiency anemia and almost died with a hemoglobin of 2... My childhood was pretty dang normal. Noone died , no accidents, my parents are perfectionists but I am too so that never bothered me LOL>>> but realistically ya'll... I know I had this as a child. I was the one branded by the doc with "growing pains" and frequently had allergies and colds... its become perfectly obvious to me that I was most likely "born" with it. which leads me to this... I think there may be two kinds... I think perhaps one day a gene will be discovered that carries this disease as a dominant or recessive trait. I also think it is most likely a neuro disease kinda like MS or something. But back to the point of two separate types of illness.. the one who are born with <?> vs teh accquired.... it would make sense to me as a nurse to say that stress ( mostly physical and I mean like surgery or accidents but even emotional types of abuse) is the underlying predominant factor... Perhaps some of us are so stressed at birth that this activates a chain reaction that others get later from exposure to viruses or enviromental toxins etc... I think if we are gonna do research... this is a valid point! I know I've had this since I was very very young. It's sad that noone recognized it to treat and study. I've been told so many times its all in my head! but its in my body LOL>>>> and I know that in my heart..... ok so anyone else have this as a child???????
  3. SharonR

SharonR New Member

I did not, but my sister had leg cramps growing up and that's what our family doctor told my parents.
    You may have a piece of the puzzle there, I guess we are living longer, we are out of the fright and flight pattern in a sense. (We are not being chased by Carnivores) so maybe there is a gene that is activated, like Herpes? Doesn't it lie dormant till something kicks it in?
    Read my next post and see if this is something you would like to see added to this questionnaire.
    Also read Jillian and Shoobie's last several post.
    We all need to buckle down and do this thing, Looking forward to working with you.
    Smiles
    SharonR
  4. Cheka

Cheka New Member

I've ALWAYS been hypersensitive to light, sounds, smells, etc. as far back as I can remember. When I was 10 I started getting MAJOR chest wall pain. Always "knew" there was "something" wrong... but no one could figure it out.
    Love,
    Debbie
  5. Shoobie

Shoobie New Member

As far back as I can remember...

Not sure if this part is relevant, but my mother had a really hard time with my delivery. She was in labor (hard) for almost 48 hours. Her normal doctor was on vacation and he didn't tell the doctor filling in that if she went into labor just to take the baby C-section. I was stuck in the birth canal and didn't want to come out. I was too far down for a C-section at that point. They finally had to get the
    foreceps to get me out.

* After birth - chronic ear infections until age 2
    * From age 5 and on - "growing pains" that were sometimes disabling and lasted into my early 20's
    * Colds & the flu - if it was going around, I got it
    * Strep throat at least 4 times per year - finally had tonsillectomy at age 20
    * Late menstruating (was almost 17 when I got my first period)
    * Kidney stones at age 17

-Shoobie
  6. caring

caring New Member

that's me.

pat
  7. allie2

allie2 New Member

My symptoms began at the age of 14 and i am now 21. I have IBS, CFS, peptic acid disease, Skin problems, Fibromyalgia, a high pulse, and rheumatoid arthritis. Have had emotional abuse/trauma, mono/EBV twice, pneumonia 5 times, Bronchitis a bunch. Have also been in a few car accidents.
  8. MarilynK

MarilynK New Member

Since childhood,

Growing pains , oversensetive to ligth,sound, smell.
    Alot of pain after fysical exersice, back problems with muscle problems,all during teens.Allways consentration problems during shcool and fatige.
    My mother and 2 sister have FMS .

My youngest has had FMS symptons since he was 6 years he is know 12 .

Keep up the good work

Marilyn
  9. BonnieQ

BonnieQ Member

As a child I always had a runny nose, allergies , colds, sore throats and ugly cold sores all the time on my mouth! UGH! I was diagnosed with fibro in my mid twenties but I think I had it since birth!?
    Bonnie
  10. PMangels

PMangels New Member

As a child I had terrible leg pain, ear aches and emotional abuse.
    I have also suffered:
    physical stress
    allergies
    hypersensitive to light, sound and smell
    yeast infections
    horrific menstrual pain
    FM
    IBS
    RLS

Arlene
  11. SharonR

SharonR New Member

I don't know, but I think my brother and my mother had it, so is it hereditary, I don't know!! These are questions I would like to have answered. If so it is a genetic thing that kicks in for whatever reason.
    Smiles
    SharonR
  12. PMangels

PMangels New Member

I don't know but I have read articles where researchers are beginning to think that is a possible answer. There is so much that research does not know yet but at least they are working on it more since there seem to be so many people with FM and all the other diseases connected to that. My brother has Lupus and of course that is related to FM. It does make one wonder if it is genetic. Especially when you see mothers and daughter with the same illness. Guess we'll have to wait and see what they find out.

(((HUGS)))
    Arlene
  13. Wildcat

Wildcat New Member

I was also a forcep baby, stuck in the birth canal, didn't want to come into the world, maybe it was a sign of what was to come!!

Started with migraines at age 2, didn't know what was wrong with me for a long time, migraines was diagnosed.

Had a tumor on my right thigh, and was removed somewhere between age 2 and 3.

Hypersensative to light and sound early in childhood, always got sent home from school in grade school when it snowed and was really sunny, extra sensitive!!!

Wildcat
  14. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

have some symtoms. Kim and Gary
  15. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

when I ended up w/cfids. Both sides of my family are extremely healthy - no illnesses at all......guess I was the lucky one!
  16. BlueMoon

BlueMoon New Member

I was always sick from a baby on. My oldest girl has had it since a very young age too. She was born 6 1/2 weeks early. We had our hands full with her. Hey, come to think of it, I had a hard time conciving & keeping it. So she was probaly born with it. Hmmm wonder if it was passed down from Me & my mom had it too.

Ok to much thinking for me

Robin
  17. Dara

Dara New Member

I always thought it was normal to feel the way I did. I remember being taken to the doctor for "growing pains" in my legs. I've always had trouble going to sleep at night and was definitely worse in the mornings. When I was 14 I was diagnosed with a "spastic colon", which I believe was the same as Irritible Bowel Syndrome. I had a very serious case of staph infection when I was 16, other than that the symptoms would come and go but as I have gotten older, 56 now, they've came and chosen to stay.

Dara
  18. Karrot

Karrot New Member

I thought those were real until someone looked at me really strangely a couple of years ago and said "uh...there's no such thing". Anyway, I was always the really moody one, too. I don't remember much about physical pain - except the "growing pains." I would have to concur on the theory of a stress activating a reaction in our bodies. I never dealt with stress well when I was little. I always just accredit all this to mono because that is when things got noticeable worse. Hmmm...

19. roro

roro New Member

I was never the healthiest kid, but I was functional. I got sick once or twice a year with strep throat, ear infections, the normal kid stuff. As a teen I was very healthy, but had emotional/social problems. I got really sick in my early 20's.
  20. MsJoey

MsJoey New Member

thought I'd traced it back to around age 17, but after thinking some more (boy did that hurt, LOL) I realize it may have begun much sooner. Age 6 I had tonsils removed. The doctor admitted to my folks that he had clipped them back (off) too close! OUCH! After that, I had seemingly never-ending ear infections and sore throats. They didn't ease up until in my 40's really. Age 17 I had mono, pneumonia twice. Had lots of pain in arms, a stupid doctor diagnosed me with GOUT. Gave me meds for it that made me sicker than hell. That was a really fun Senior year in High school! Into my 20's I began to notice more body-wide symptoms. Doctors told me I was "just depressed," and "you're probably getting arthritis" and my all-time personal favorite, "You have HOUSEWIVES syndrome." GRRRRRR! I wish I'd been more outgoing but back in those days you didn't argue with "Dr. GOD," the all-knowing, all-seeing higher power. I had another doc in my 20's YELL at me, "GET THAT WEIGHT OFF! THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU!" That was after one of the kids was born and I had put on some weight. He was MEAN. Now that I'm older, (48) I would have yelled back. Keep in mind, THEY work for US. Oops, getting long-winded and off-topic here. But I really believe now it stemmed from that really young age and the botched tonsillectomy. I must have had at least 3 ear infections a year after that surgery at age 6 until well into my 40's. Ok, enough outta me!!! I'm still so glad I found this board about 6 mo. ago or so.