For those 40 and under who work fulltime with children

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SweetT, Jul 13, 2006.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Hi, I replied to the "working full-time and getting healthier?" topic. I'm new. I need to hear from those who are still working full-time with children to take care of also. How do you manage to have time to do more than work and snap at your kids for asking you to take them or go anywhere, because you have no energy? How do you handle Open Houses and Parent-Teacher conferences during the school year? I almost cry when I have to go somewhere after work (unless I'm leaving work early). I am also a single parent mom so that doesn't help. I do have a boyfriend, but he's not a live-in, so I cannot expect him to run two households, though he helps as much as he can. My ex-husband does not help me with reasing my daughters at all-----------he only financially supports them by paying his court-ordered child support faithfully. I'm a former battered wife. {I may have develped FMS/CFS from all of the beatings that I took, and/or a bad car accident that I had in 1999}.

A great weekend for me is being able to go out to dinner with my kids and/or boyfriend, or go to a wedding or special event on Saturday or Sunday, instead of resting up for the workweek. My job is very stressful and I hate it but I need the money and health benefits. I am trying for a promotion to get into a different position. I have ADA accommodations in place (currently not adequate) and I use Intermittent FMLA. I really wish I could quit, as my fatigue is horrible. Or, either switch to a 3-1/2 day week (even if I have to cram my 40 hours into those 3-1/2 days).

Can anyone suggest Personal Care services to use, as I like to keep my apartment clean (and I do--------along with my daughters), but once school starts, I cannot take too much time away from their studies by having them clean?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
  2. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

Hi there!

Our situations are similar.. I'm a single Mom of 2 girls ages 9 and 5- I work full time and am dreading the start of the school year. My little one starts Kindergarten and I just don't know how I'm going to pull all of it off..

My b/f started his own business last year and is often not around til after the kids go to bed...

I'm also utilitzing the Intermitten FMLA- and that has helped, except that I'm out of paid time and money is always tight.. so I try to push to get to work as much as I can otherwise... no paycheck.

I do what I can do..When it comes to after work activities, I keep them to a minimum.. I'm beat after working all day and just getting thru dinner, homework, baths, school clothes set out, packing lunches... It's like another full time job.

Don't you wonder how you do it some days?? Okay, EVERYday.

I'm lucky that my ex-husband is a very involved Dad- and his new wife helps out a lot too.

I WISH I could have someone in to clean for me as that is the one thing that has totally gone to pot, I can't keep up.

Wish I could tell you something to help.. but I'm too exhausted to think!!!

Sharon
  3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i do not....and i can not work yet...i'm on ssdi..live in califnornia...and rent for two bed. 1 bath is 1200 a month plus utlities.etc...

but you could always call molly maids...ask co-workers and friends for referrals...you want someone who is bonded...

jodie