For those in the medical field, when to say enough is.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by demablue, Oct 30, 2006.

1. demablue

demablue New Member

For those in the medical field how did you know when to say enough is enough? I am in the medical field, a medical technologist and I am constantly afraid I may mess up something important in a patient's care. Constantly checking and rechecking the results I am turning out. However, no one seems to understand my husband, my family etc... I get a lot of "Oh, you will do fine." Well, I don't feel like I will do fine in fact I am very upset at having to return back to work in pain and in a depressive state. I sometimes am afraid to take my narcotics while on the job but I need them sometimes to just make it through the day.
  2. johnston

johnston New Member

enough is a enough! Start disability steps NOW! See if your company has std and ltd benefits. They are very, very hard to get. Still, apply for them if they are there. This syndrome is very hard on us. Even now, since I just posted a message on the board, I am tired. I have a md appt in a few minutes. Just know you are not alone! I don't kknow how much response you have had to your message, but if you would like for me to contact you again, I will. There is so much to say..........you won't get well. I don't think. The research says the sooner you seek help, the better your chances are. BUT if you find a good md (I can recommend one if you are in the Atlanta area), they will help you. Then you can at least know that not ALL your days are going to be bad ones. FYI The Federal Disability Benefits process takes forever. Start NOW. Your first is going to be denied anyway!!! Educate yourself on what and how your mds should be documenting; so you can educate them. Believe me, they probably don't know! Rhonda--User name johnston
  3. johnston

johnston New Member

There hafta be more medical folks out there than just me. In fact, I think lots of nurses have it. We just deny it for a very, very long time.
  4. georgie0826

georgie0826 New Member

I'm not in the medical field, but I was a bookkeeper. I found myself double checking every thing I did. Then I realized I was making mistakes. My memory just couldn't hold on to figures. I realized I was not doing my best work. I decided to quit before I made a major mistake.
    Once I quit my boss said she had noticed my work was not up to par, but she really didn't want me to leave. That was nice to hear, but it was to much and caused anxiety.
  5. JBailey44

JBailey44 New Member

How do I find out what my md needs to say?
  6. johnston

johnston New Member

find the source of some works I printed out. It defines in detail how your md should be documenting. It even has a sample letter as an example of the md documentation letter that is sent in addition to the medical records. Great stuff if you have a doctor who will take the time to read it and apply it!!!! We are taught to look at the WHOLE person and all his needs, but I think medical personnel rarely do that or do it really well. There are so many time constraints....Okay found my copies:
    one is from NFA my printout shows http://www.fmaware.org/patient/disability/potterphysicianhtm.html---hope that gets you there. This one is "Social Security: The Role of the Physician"

The next one came from "The CFIDS Chronicle Winter 2002" I'm sorry I don't see an online ad fro this one. "Acquiring and Keeping Social Security Benefits for CFIDS and FM Sufferers"

I have another one that I have no idea where I got it, but could fax or regular mail (I don't say snail mail since my father was a postman) the info. "Evaluating Cases Involving Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" This one has the SS Ruling ant then supplements them with information. It is Social Security Ruling, SSR 99-2p.; Titles II and XVI

Then I have something from http://www.nosscr.org National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives.

hope these will be current and help you. I have been in the process off and on---the forms you have to fill out are exhausting--for a very long time. I don't know when I printed these out, but I found them very, very helpful.

oh, I
  7. johnston

johnston New Member

I found this one that is really good. www.cfids.org. "Disability Evaluation in a Nutshell
    A Three-Minute Guide to Effective Medical Reports" By Douglas M. Smith, Attorney at Law

Rhonda
  8. caffey

caffey New Member

I was working doing community nursing. I have ra,fm. oa etc. I was struggling and on a low dose of narcotics. For me my employer who was really supportive told me I looked like death warmed over, I had to do modified duties. People were feeling sorry for me. One day I went to the doctor and he increased my narcotics. I was honest with my employer and they said they wanted to come out with me to see if it was affecting my judgemnet. Long Story short, that day I went to get out of the car and herniated the disc in my back so the decision was made for me. I guess what I am trying to say is that pain affects your thinking and judgment as well as narcotics. The scary thing is that you don't even realize how much it does. Just one mistake and your career will be over. It sounds like you are near the end of your rope. I would start looking into disability. It doesn't mean you have to do it but it takes a while to get it processed and you don't want to be stranded without any money. Also can you do modified duties or cut your hours? Can you sit insteard of stand? How supportive is your employer? Sorry for babbling. I just have so many things I would like to say to you. Please take care of yourself and do what is right for you. One more thing if you have a lot of contact with patients and they are making comments then I also pay attention to that. I wish you all the best.
    Cath
  9. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Nice to meet you! I am a med. tech too, and I know exactly how you feel because I was doing the same thing about 4 years ago! I had a bad bout with depression and started to have some OCD tendencies and was constantly rechecking my work especially in blood bank.

I ended up on zoloft for depression and it totally took the feeling away that I had to recheck my work! I always did have my little checks and double checks in blood bank, but it was getting to the point where I was repeating my types and screens 2 and 3 times!

I don't know if this is your problem or if you just feel like you are in a fibro. fog, but honestly, the zoloft worked really well for the OCD tendencies and in general to bring down my anxiety level.

On occasion, I have to take narcotic meds at work, but I am so used to them now, that they don't affect my concentration. But, most of the time, I try to get by with just my tramadol. I take that consistently every day.

I have thought about disablility, but I really like my job, and I don't think I would qualify at this point anyway. It is in the back of my mind in case things get worse.

Take care, and write back to me if there is anything you want to talk about. Sally
  10. MamaDove

MamaDove New Member

Hi,

I am not in the medical field either but thought I would share something with you...

I had been suffering with different aspects of these dd's and finding no answers nor any help in the medical community, in fact I was only getting worse with PT and meds they were trying...

I cut everyone out of my life that was making me worse and just stuck with my rheumy for OA, gastro for Crohn's and ob/gyn for women issues...I then realized I could no longer work for anyone with all the restrictions that a therapist determined I had through a Functional Cacpacity Exam...But I was still determined and still had the willpower to go after my dream...

I went to grooming school, worked very PT for a few places, even a vet's office when I relocated to another state and opened my own shop next to my home...

I excelled immediately and I was good at running my own salon...After 3 years of again very PT work at home, I was noticing (admitting) that I couldn't remember the dogs names, if I bathed them allready, etc. etc...It came to an end when I left a dog on the table and was closing up for the day...That was unacceptable!!!If that dog would have been hurt on my watch I would never forgive myself...

I have always said that I have been strong enough to handle the pain of all these dd's, but the fog, memory issues and like someone else said the checking and rechecking of my books only to find mistakes later, that was enough...

After 2 years, I won my SSDI, I was notified on Saturday...And for me, I wished I would have stopped sooner. My only regret in life is that I would have put my health FIRST and the stigma of needing to have a job to be successful in life LAST...I have not regained what I have lost...

The old saying, if you have your health, you have everything is so true...

Listen to your BODY (and gut) and do what you need to do at this time...Please don't PUSH yourself harder like most of us have, it's just not worth it in the end...

Peaceful days ahead~Alicia
  11. Cinderbug

Cinderbug New Member

I was a nurse for 30 years full time. I thought I could work with the pain . Then I couldn't stand up straight from exhaustion every day and one day had to go to the ER during a shift with chest pain and shortness of breath. I also found it hard to concentrate on my work. My doctor of 30 years retired and the new doctor told me to stop working immediately and apply for disability.That is just what I did. That was just a couple months ago. I had been diagnosed with Fibro for years but this new doctor did an epstein barr test (positive, reactivated) and told me I also have severe CFS. I now find it hard to believe I lasted at work as long as I did.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/31/2006]
  12. twitcher

twitcher New Member

I don't take any meds at work and my brain is fine(I think). It's just so hard to stand on my feet all day. I'm weak and tired. I really have no choice but to work. I just keep going.
  13. wangotango

wangotango New Member

i worked in a very busy emergency room as a rn and i know what you mean. there were several times i was trauma team leader and had 5 other rooms going. but i also functioned at 110% then to. if we would slow down i made mistakes. i could only endure about 4 months of haveing chronic fatigue syndorme and the pace. i miss it bad.
    i will say this when i first got out of school i was hired into the er because of my paramedic background and i was scared to death. my supervisior and fellow nurses looked out for each other as well, so i was pampered. we seen about 180 patients every 12 hrs and always short staffed ! GOOD LUCK BILL IN KCMO
  14. misskoji

misskoji Member

Hun, I'm so sorry you are having a rough time of it. Please don't try to "buck it up" and continue on. The "others" that say you'll be fine and do great don't know how you feel and struggle in your body and mind!

I was a CNA, and on my first semester of MA, when I knew I couldn't do it anymore. I had to realize I was caring for people that depended on my sharpness, judgment, and knoweledge. You too should consider this hun. Also, it's not doing you any good in respects of your ailments! NO GOOD!

I know how hard it is to lose the thing that we tend to define ourselves by, our work. It's a grieving process. Overall though, you will be doing much better for yourself and everyone around you, especially your family. They don't want to see you suffer, and you and they both deserve to enjoy each other.

Financially, I hope you are in good standing or can sort something out. SSDI takes FOREVER!!!!!!!!! Start now hun. Not in a few months when you finally surrender, NOW. If you apply and decide later you don't need it, no harm done. However if you wait, you are losing months of financial coverage.

Please please remember to take care of you!!!!!!!!

Hugs
    Deanna
  15. tlayne

tlayne Member

I am tagging this for a time when I can respond to you! Hugs, Tam