For those of you who got SSA or SSI on the first try...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SweetT, Sep 14, 2006.

1. SweetT

SweetT New Member

What do you think contributed to it? A doctor who documented things well? Good symptom notes yourself? Luck?

Most of us are still waiting and waiting. But there are some of us who got it on the first try.

I've really been having it tough at work lately (distractions----my employer won't give me a private office and my coworkers get on my nerves with socializing all the time---I cannot concentrate to get anything done; smells--popcorn and human body odor and waste---I work in a public social services building; everything making me either have bouts of diarrhea or vomiting---probably IBS and allergies to just about everything; etc.)

I don't know how long I'll be able to work. However, I don't have a spouse or at least $50,000 in the bank to make it a few years, cutting back severely, before an award.
  2. Bren2135

Bren2135 New Member

I'm watching this thread too. Am thinking about filing for disability, since I've run out of options, work-wise.

Should we list other health probs too? I've got DDD, spondylolysis, 2 herniated disks inside the spinal canal, IBS, recurring pyloric stricture, and now, ovarian cysts.

I will see an oncologist next week.

Other health issues aggravate the FM, but do the "powers that be" see it that way?

Listening..
    Brenda
  3. SweetT

SweetT New Member

Chronic stress; (sp)chrondomalaysiapatella; degenerative disease of the c-4 spine arthritis; tendonites; Fibro & CFS

Lindyl39, I'm close to where you were----I lived in Euclid and I'm now in Willoughby.
  4. janferg

janferg New Member

Hi SweetT,

I am one of the new ones to join the Fibromyalgia chat,
    and have already learned so much about myself from all of you, when you don't talk about the illness and you think it may go away, I guess that was the wrong thing for me to do because I feel better just talking about it to you guys.
    Anyways I applied for SSI on June 22 of this year,I go to their doctors tomorrow and next week, I hope it turns out because I do not care for my doctor to much, I had to tell him about Fibromyalgia, he just tells me there is not to much he can do for me,so I am praying that their doctors are good, if not I do not know what I will do, I had to quit my job also, I was in so much pain and on Nov 4-2004 I do the same work on my computer everyday and that day I could not remember what to do next, so I left and went over to my doctors and never returned to work, but it has been so hard because I have no money, I work one day a week and that gives me $775.00 to live on for the month.
    I hope it works out for you, and thanks for listening...
    Take care,
    Jan
  5. SweetT

SweetT New Member

How much of your award did you have to pay to your attorney?

Thanks for your encouragement, janferg.
  6. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

By my dad's lawyer when you apply the first thing they do is look at the age and set aside those who are not in 50 or older,

then they go through those younger after they deal with the 50 up group.

then they look for the ones who are not working, then most health problems listed,

do to being 40 it took me 2 years, and a lawyer

hope this helps don't give up and you may get lucky and be less time their have been cases where you get through fast.
  7. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I read somewhere that it's 10% the diagnosis and 90% the daily problems you describe. In other words; a diary where you write down how it affects you on a daily basis, and what your sysmptoms are.