For those of you who used to be into exercize before FM/CFS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mariac2000, Nov 14, 2002.

1. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Is there any way to get together and figure out some sort of exercize regimine that is gentle enough for those who suffer. Many people seem to ask about this. I know we are all at different stages of pain, but even some kind of sitting exercizes? I know nothing about exercize exept that I have never liked it, but I am still able to do some. Any suggestions for those who don't seem to be able to get any kind of regular exercize?
  2. mariac2000

mariac2000 New Member

Is there any way to get together and figure out some sort of exercize regimine that is gentle enough for those who suffer. Many people seem to ask about this. I know we are all at different stages of pain, but even some kind of sitting exercizes? I know nothing about exercize exept that I have never liked it, but I am still able to do some. Any suggestions for those who don't seem to be able to get any kind of regular exercize?
  3. HOUSEOFBLUES

HOUSEOFBLUES New Member

Probably just the basic Stretching exercises, or even doing some mild Yoga would probably be beneficial. Just something to strengthen our muscles and keep us limbered up sounds good. I'm also checking into this "Pilates" thing.....
    I for one, know I can never do anymore Jumping around
    or strenuous exercises anymore.

LOVE,
    HOUSEOFBLUES
  4. LisaMay

LisaMay New Member

There are some great books for gentle stretching. I use to work at a nursing home and we had video exercise for the residents to do whether they could walk or were seat-bound. Almost as important as exercise for the body, we must remember to exercise our minds. Keep it moving together.

As for myself, daily stretching before getting out of bed helps. After the Fog has lifted, I do some Yoga poses. It really helps. I was swimming daily but now that the weather has turned here in GA, we've had to close the pool.

Hope you find something that works for you too! Lisa
  5. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I used to do pretty good on my Nordic Tract, and a bicycle, and a tape by Margeret Richards, but I won't go near them now.

I do streach before I get out of the bed in the morning, and I walk, not fast or anything, just walk around my own grounds. It does limber up the muscles without any stress on them. I also walk up my stairs a few times a day too.

Some still can exercise normally, but I am not one of them.

I am sure there must be a tape for Fibro, but maybe someone else knows about it.

Shalom, Shirl
  6. kadywill

kadywill New Member

water therapy classes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. If the water is around 90 degrees, I love it, but it has been 86 degrees lately and I am cold the whole class and therefore I hurt worse. The buoyancy of the water is wonderful and I don't usually hurt as long as I'm in there! I love this form of exercise and I still love to walk outside when it isn't too hot and humid! I love to dance to aerobic video tapes when I feel good, but I really have to remember that if I overdo it, I'll pay for it. Plus, I get in a lot of walking at work. I know it isn't at a sustained pace, but it is still being active and, at this point, I'm thankful I can still do it....(most of the time).
    Love,
    Kady
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2002]
  7. teach6

teach6 New Member

My fatigue level from CFS is so high that I am limited to stretching for exercise. Even standing in line at a store wears me out, sometimes for an extra day. I know there those who will argue otherwise, but until they walk in my shoes I don't believe they are entitled to pass judgment on my limitations.

Barbara
  8. dlizard

dlizard New Member

zukes I couldn't agree more but * yes everyone is at a differnet place. Stretching is great and its a fabulous place to start! Then you gotta get more going... somehow, someway!! I thought my doc was a complete idiot ( which is still a valid point on most countsLOL) when he told me I have to exercise!! But after feeling so bad that walking to the mailbox made me exhausted, I kept trying,, even on BAD BAD days and nowI can't believe the difference! I'd of told you that you were all crazy too... now mind you I am not totally painfree or feeling 100% these days but lawdie its all on the better side now and I totally agree that you GOT to find a way to increase your activity to get better...Good luck ya'll!
  9. fibolady

fibolady New Member

this spring i started walking after realizing i couldn't even walk around one store without terrible pain and fatique the next day. plus at my age, knew my heart had to have some exercise. so, with the support and tips from the board here is what i learned and how i started.

slowly, slowly, just walking to the mailbox and back. then maybe day after that to the house next door and back. always resting afterwards, time to read a magazine or watch a show. then i would skip a day.

start out on flat surfaces if you can. i tried a hill at the beginning, big mistake.

GEL inserts for your tennis shoes, big help.

yes, i walked slow as a turtle at first!

posture, walking bent from the waist a little. not straight up with good posture. (read spedding's post of fms you will understand)

always wear hat to cover head and ears and gloves even when its just a little cold, stay warm. yes, others are jogging around in shorts and t's!

work on my breathing, but the best part is being outside enjoying nature and walking is relaxing to the mind. i think only of what i am doing.

i now walk 3 or 4 times a week from 20 to 40 minutes. can walk a few hills. even when the weather is bad for long stretches or i am in a flare where i can't walk, it is not hard to get back to walking now. mentally it has helped enormously.

you can also just do stretches when you sit in your tv chair. i pull my knees up and down. do arm stretches, neck stretches, rocking back and forth helps too.

warm regards, fibolady

p.s. a year ago i could barely make it around the flea market, this year i went, a few weeks, ago and did practically the whole round! of course a lot of stop and looks and rest. didn't carry anything.

10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I got my exercises from my physical therapist. They can even be done in bed. They are designed to stay flexible, toned and strong. The muscles remember how to be in shape and these help to not let them atrophy, which will happen without use. I used to be in bed for up to five days at a time and still, I was able to manage these exercises.

Something aerobic is wonderful if it can be tolerated. Start out with baby steps and work up. I walk and swim or do exercises in the pool. BTW, hanging on a foam noodle in the deep end of the pool is an excellent way to drain the lymph nodes. I use my noodle to support my chin so that even the nodes in my neck get drained from the slight pressure and movement of the water.

Love, Mikie
  11. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

Even walking can hurt my ankles and knees.

This is my routine, almost every day.

Recumbent bike 30 minutes.
    Strength conditioning(rotating abs and buns)1o minutes.
    Deep aerobic breathing("life lift")20 minutes prior to evening meal.

[ advertisement ]