? FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH HIGH CHOLESTEROL/LIPIDS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jole, Jun 24, 2006.

1. jole

jole Member

What are you able to take for it? My doc had me on Lipitor and later Evista, and both of these increased my pain SOO much I had to stop them. I would really like to know if there is anything that works.

Thanks in advance.

Friends -
    Jole
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2006]
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

I have been taking Policosanol Cholesterol Formula, a supplement that I get from my naturopath. My cholesterol has gone down considerably since I started taking it.

Good luck.
    Pepper
  3. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I have a combo of high cholesteral and high triglycerides. I take a drug called Lipidil Supra here in Canada but I believe the American version is called Tricor. It's not a statin and seems to not have the severe side effects. It works more on the triglycerides.

I've recently started doing a half hour walk every day and am also trying to watch what I eat. My last test was the first time that both levels were down.

I don't find I get any pain with the Lipidil and I take it with dinner every night.

Good Luck..

Eileen
  4. jole

jole Member

Thanks for your replies. I will write those down and ask my doc about them. Just afraid of more pain. So right now I think I will try diet for a month and see what happens. Meat, fruit and veggies shouldn't hurt anything, and maybe it will even help. I'm such a sugar addict, that giving up my sweets has got to help.

Will give your suggestions to my doc though, and she does agree with most natural ideas, so we'll see.

Thanks again - Jole
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

My doctor started me taking 1,000 mg of no-flush niacin twice a day, along with a B-50 complex twice a day. My cholesterol did go down 15 or 20 points in a few months but it hasn't been tested since.

Also, ground flaxseed meal is supposed to help lower cholesterol as well. This is something I've been meaning to try but havent' yet.

Mary
  6. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

I am like you, and also had bad experience with med's for cholesterol.

My triglicerydes are 800. the Endo. freaked on me. told me I was a walking heart attack waiting to happen.

The Endo put me on Tricor. I hated it. The leg cramps were soooooooo bad. and I also had bad body aches like i was hit by a truck, as well as signs of a head cold, to the point my left ear got infected and clogged. I couldn't hear out of it for 3 wks!

So the Dr. put me on Crestor, it does give me leg cramps, but not as bad as the Tricor so I am sticking it out in hopes it will go away. Some time i get body aches, but don't know if that is from FM.

The Dr. also put me on Omacor that is 900 mg omega 3 acid ethyl esters. <<<<have no clue what that means. And I am doing fine with them.

Jole, try this website, www.AskApatient.com
    you type in the medicine you are taking and it shows respones from othe patients that have taken the same medicine and thier experience's with it, good,bad or in diffrent. Its a great little website to see how other react to medicine. And you can also post your experience's

Let us know how your making out.

Good Luck
    God Bles,
    Cindy
  7. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Jole,

I just posted this week that mine went down 71 points!

Check out my post to see what I did.

It's still high, but I'm trying to avoid going on MORE medicine!

I take fish oil supplements too

C-MOM
  8. kjfms

kjfms Member

elevated and I have been taking Fish Oil capsules and it is helping some and have also cut back on salt intake.

Good luck,

Karen
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Yes! The new eating plan you're undertaking!

;>)

Marta
  10. findmind

findmind New Member

Well, I love B-Vits, Niacin and oatmeal daily for lowering cholesterol.

However, because viruses and mycoplasma loves the cholesterol surrounding our red blood cells, so they can replicate, I don't worry if mine are 232 chol./139 triglicerides.

Even though the bad bugs can get more cholesterol, the chol. also keeps the red blood cells more protected and able to change shape in order to get into the smaller veins and capillaries, which of course helps with circulation.

My dr. won't give me statins...says not with FM, it would be dangerous, as one might get rhabdomyolitis and think it was an FM flare and it is a very serious illness!!!!

Hope you find a combo that works for you!

findmind
  11. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

Salmon oil, virgin olive oil, niacin, oats and lots of leafy greens and beans the lentil kind all lower cholesterol. Oh, and so does exercise.

The most important thing to avoid are hydrogenated fats. I wish this was more common knowlegde though. Because everyone is told to avoid saturates, and some saturates can even lower it, like coconut oil, but this is still contraversial to the mainstream. But hydrogenates are worse than animal fat even, because the body can't digest them so they deposit, they are so processed they are close to synthetic. And hydrogenates are in everything.

People will switch to margarine thinking they will lower cholesterol, but most margarines use hydrogenated oil. There are a few that don't like Becel which was my favourite for years. I only stopped it because I developed an allergy to canola oil (also in everything in Canada, since we are so proud of ourselves for discovering it.) I switched to butter and Imperial, it has a non-hydrogenated soy marg., which doens't taste near as good as Becel though. Lactancia has a new one similar to Becel too.

I actually have low LDL cholesterol, which I attribute to salmon & olive oil and starting every day w/ raw veggies and light exercise.

jeanne
  12. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I was at 350 now Im at 200 something but it only started droping when I started the omega 3