For Those That Get Flu Shots

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dreamharp, Jan 8, 2006.

1. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

I ended up getting a terrible flu this winter. I did not get
    a flu shot. For those that get the flu shot every year do you
    feel it has boost your immunity system in a postive way or
    has the repeated flu shot over time done damage to your
    immune system? I hear some people claim the flu shot has
    been positive for them, yet others claim the flu shot over
    time has made them more ill. I would love to hear opinions
    on the flu shot.

Thanks

Dreamharp
  2. Kat_in_Texas

Kat_in_Texas New Member

I did not get a flu shot last year, it was the first year in 3-4 years that I didn't get one. I had the flu so bad in February I thought I was going to die! I hurt from head to toe and didn't have an ounce of energy for about 10 days. My congestion, coughing and wheezing was awful. I was completely bedridden for about 6 days, even after seeing a doctor and getting medicine.

I was one of the first in line to get a flu shot this year, I'm not taking any chances!!!!

Kat
  3. MsE

MsE New Member

Virginia Mason of Seattle tried to legally mandate their nurses have flu shots. Evidently only about half of the nurses would take the shots. The judge ruled that Virginia Mason could not make this obligatory.

I am wondering why, if the shots are as benign as some folks say, half of the Virginia Mason nursing staff refused them last year?
    It's stuff like this, and the fact that the recipient must sign a waiver, that makes me wonder about these shots. I also wonder about the reaction on CFIDS people.

The one time I got a shot, years ago, I became quite ill. When I went to the doctor, I asked the nurse if the flu shot could cause this illness. I said I know that the literature said it wasn't a "live" virus and couldn't. She whispered, "Yes it can." This was shortly before I came down with this DD. So, no--I don't get the flu shot.

I did have flu last year, but it wasn't much of a deal--ceretainly not as bad as it had been after the shot. I have a suspicious nature.
  4. lana33

lana33 New Member

I was a nurse for 16 years. I used to never get the flu shot. I also never got the flu. I always thought if it ain't broke don't fix it,LOL.

Then when I was diagnosed with asthma, sjogrens syndrome and RA, my doc said I needed to take a flu shot cause I had just been lucky and if I were to get the flu, I would probably be very sick.

I didn't take one last year after all the bad press of not enough and then some bad batches. I still was blessed and didn't get the flu.

This year, I decided to go ahead and take the shot. I was late getting it but either way, I haven't gotten it so far. So I guess it (the shot) doesn't cause me to get sick either. So long as things are okay with the shot, as far as what they tell us, I will continue to get them once a year.

Hugs,
    Lana
  5. FibroJo

FibroJo New Member

Get one every year and never have a problem. (I am also diabetic and have been told by my doctor that I must get one).
  6. Bambi

Bambi New Member

the shots contain Mercury and Formeldehyde and was that true. They wrote back that yes they do. They said that the Mercury they use has been tested extensively. They didn't say anything about the other or testing on it.

So I figure it has a definitely cancer causing agent in and Mercury, well?? BUT I have asthma and alot of the other things associated with FM so I got the shot anyway. So did my husband who has Diabetes2. we have been getting them for about 5 or so
    years and have never had the flu. My husband used to get it every year and would be deathly ill. I was always afraid I'd catch it but never did. So I guess we just have to weigh the risks and decide. I know one good lung "anything" would do me in.
  7. tejanya

tejanya New Member

every year. last year was late getting it. i don't get sick afterwards. my arm hurts, but whose wouldn't after being poked like that? when i did not get the shot, i got very sick with a normal cold that eventually went bad. no voice, coughing all the time and of course, fever. i am around older folks and young kids that do not need me spreading that, someone else will do it. i am now pro flu shots for those that are recommended to get it. messing with the lungs is not good.
  8. PVLady

PVLady New Member

I would never risk not getting the shot. I hate to have one, but one "go round" with the flu is enough to make me a believer.

I also have asthma, as does my husband. We do not need to ask for trouble. We also had the pneumonia shot - the doctor said we only have to have that once in your lifetime.

9. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I just posted about this before reading it. I'm in my 4th week of the flu from HELL!! First time I've had something like this ever and I KNOW I caught it when in the Dr.'s office!!

I haven't taken the flu shot for years, as I have a mild egg allergy, but next year I'll deal with an upset stomach if it prevents what I've been through this last month.

Gotta weigh those pros & cons.

LIGHT***********carole
  10. skierchik

skierchik New Member

I've been getting flu shots every year because I've been so desparate in trying to find something that will help with the influenza. I WILL NEVER, EVER GET IT AGAIN!!

The homeopathic remedy called Influenza 9C also made me deathly ill. I have two autoimmune disorders and I am sure that's the reason why I react so badly and why they don't help me at all.

I have a pretty good protocol to combat the influenza and I will post it soon. Instead of having it for 3 weeks, I get rid of it in 2 days or even less if I catch it early.

I have to clean my house now, while I have some energy, but I will do it soon.

skierchik
  11. dreamharp

dreamharp New Member

Looking forward to your flu protocol.

Thanks!

Dreamharp
  12. roseylisa

roseylisa New Member

I had a flu shot a couple of years ago and had never been so sick in my life for over two weeks. Swear I'll never get another one!
  13. rmc20021

rmc20021 New Member

I got a flu shot 20+ years ago and thought I'd die, so never got another one until the doc promised me that the old ones were a live virus and the new ones are synthetic and would not cause you to become ill. So, I began getting one every year....no problem. But for the past 3 years I haven't had any. Then on Thursday last week, decided I'd better get it done this year, and guess what? IT WORKED!!!! I got the flu and have now been in bed for 4 days with it. I'm thinking my resistence was low and that was what caused me to get sick this time....oh, and then I broke my hand. So, I've had just a wonderful week.
  14. brie

brie New Member

I have taken it the last 3 years and this is the first year I have been sick.I have the flu now and I can honestly say taking the flu shot this year did not help me. The flu has been very intense and hung on now for 2 weeks and that is with antibiotics. I really don't think it matters. Good luck
  15. ibisgirldc

ibisgirldc New Member

There are zillions of flu strains. The shot only protects you against the strains that the medical community guesses are the most likely to show up in a particular season. You can still get the flu if you've had the shot... it just might not be of the most common strain going around or might not be as bad if it is.

For people with FM, I can't see why we wouldn't take it given that a bout with the flu could bring on a major flare-up. The shot's not 100% preventative, but nothing is. And a little of something is better than nothing. Why create excess risk when you have a 5-second method to eliminate some?
  16. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I've been getting the flu shot for the past 5 years. It usually makes me flare for a week but then I'm fine.

I've had the flu before and I don't want to contract it again. They say that even if a different strain is going around, it still offers you a bit of protection in the severity if you get it.

Regards

Eileen