For those w/out ins, what pain med?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaynesez, Aug 18, 2009.

1. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

For any of you who have no insurance what time-release pain medication do you take, and if I may ask, what does it cost? I'm taking Kadian right now, and have ins. while working, however I can't do it much longer (work) and the price on my prescription sheet is outragous! There is no way I would be able to afford it...and since medicare takes two years to get....
    Any answers or suggestions would be not only appreciated but extremely helpful. Also, if anyone can tell me what your dr. charges for cash patients? I'll ask mine next appt.
    Thanks again to anyone who can help!
  2. debilyn

debilyn New Member

My doctor perscribed Kadian, and I liked it, but my co-pay was $50, too high to pay every month. He switched me to generic MS Contin (morphine sulfate I think it's called) because he said that it costs way less than Kadian and it's the same thing.

My co-pay for MSContin is $5. I don't know what it would be without insurance, though. Also, I saw on the Kadian website that one can register for a coupon to use at time of purchase. I can't remember the exact details without going back and checking the website.

I did register for the coupon with my address, but I never received it in the mail. I didn't pursue it because as I said my doctor switched to the generic medication.

Don't know it that helps you much, though. Good luck.

3. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

you two; I have bookmarked for the future, (right now I do have insurance, but I've got to quit soon, I'm in so much agony, I can't take much more). I'm just trying to see what options are out there before I get blindsided (doing my homework). I'm also working in such a stressful enviroment, but can't find another job anywhere! Anyways, I did notice that on Kadian's website they will give you your meds for free if you're eligble, so perhaps that'll be an option. The MS contin will do as well, especially for that price!
    Thanks again for your replies and help!
  4. tut90

tut90 Member

and blessed with a very understanding doctor, I see him twice a year for my diabetes and he charges me $40.00 for those visits. I see him several times a year for the Fibro and he charges me $30.00. I take Neurotin and Darvocet to manage the pain and I also take Restoril to help me sleep. I get a discount on my meds through the Florida discount card program.

Good luck,
  5. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

I'm not on a time-released med because I can't afford the ones that work for me. The cheapest would be Methadone (but I have bad side effects from that one and can't use it), which for even a high dose would be $20 or less a month. Right now, I'm on 8-10 30mg Oxycodone pills/day (yeah, I have one of those crappy high tolerance levels) and 300 of them for a month, with the free drug cards that you find online, cost me $160/month. My pain mgt doctor charges $95/visit. When I was using the Fentanyl patches, they cost me approximately $400/month.
  6. DemonFairy

DemonFairy New Member

Oh yeah, and the drug discount card websites will let you put in the drug name and they'll give you an approximate price. Those prices are almost always cheaper than, except for meds that don't have a generic. No discount on those.
  7. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

are ridiculous, but I won't even go there! There was an article in the paper, the "tell Mel" column and a woman (they didn't give her dx) had been prescribed neurotin (sp?) and it had cost her $425.00 to fill; the newspaper called around and she could have gotten it at Costco pharmacy for $80.00. This is for those who don't have insurance and by law you don't have to be a member, FYI. thanks for the replies, I'm thinking my doc would charge the same as yours DemonFairy, around 95.00 - 100.00. Sigh... I also think I could cut down on some of these meds if I wasn't dragging myself through the torture of this job. Thanks again and here's wishing to a calm & peaceful day to you all. Oh, and to me as well :)