FOR THOSE WHO BURN CANDLES...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by BILLCAMO, Sep 30, 2006.

  1. BILLCAMO

    BILLCAMO New Member

    I haven't been here in awhile and I wanted to share some information about candles I've found out that may help some of us.

    Most of the candles on the market today are made of paraffin. Most paraffins, if not all , are made from petroleum products. Burning paraffin candles with natural or non-natural wicks will release toxins into our homes.

    With the DD's we are fighting , these toxins are more likely to have a negative effect on us than a healthy person. In fact , The American Lung Assoc. has acknowledged the risks of burning paraffin candles in the home for all people.

    There is an alternative candle type than can be used. A soy and vegetable oil blend with natural wicks can be burned in the home with out releasing the toxins that paraffin candles do.

    Should a person decide to burn natural candles instead of paraffin ones , you still must do some research. The candle industry has little regulation. A candle can be called a soy candle even if it only has a little soy blend in it. So , buyer beware!!!!!!

    Blessings ,
    b/c
  2. mollystwin

    mollystwin New Member

    We burn candles all the time! Thanks for the info!
  3. fieldmouse

    fieldmouse New Member

    I make my own and only use soy but thanks for the info. I didn't know tht either...Mick!!
  4. BILLCAMO

    BILLCAMO New Member

    Helps just one person , then it was worth the effort.

    I truely hope it helps many more than one.

    Blessings ,

    b/c
  5. ilovecats94

    ilovecats94 New Member

    Because of our cat, we don't burn candles anymore. At one time I was burning oil lamps, but I don't anymore.

    I do have two battery operated like candles that I'll turn on, but that is it.

    The safety of my cat is more important than some pretty and nice smelling candles. I figured the smoke was toxic anyway.

    Hugs,
    Faye
    I'm allergic to smoke.[This Message was Edited on 09/30/2006]
  6. BILLCAMO

    BILLCAMO New Member

    There is another option available for people who have pets and/or are allergic to smoke....

    Simmer pots...... The best one that I've found operates on a 40 watt light bulb. So , it is very safe.

    Just be sure to use a genuine soy / vegetable oil wax for no smoke or toxins.

    For those of those who have pet birds , I'd like to share info. about the dangers of burning paraffin candles with these friends in the home. But , I'll have to wait until my brain fog is not so bad.

    Blessings ,

    b/c
  7. Shirl

    Shirl New Member

    Long time 'no see', sure missed you a lot. Glad to see you back and with some very good information.

    There is another candle that is none toxic, its a pure bee's wax candle. A little costly, but you can't hurt you.

    You will find them on the web or at QVC too. No odor though.

    Again, glad to see you here, and hope you stay around now.


    Shalom, Shirl
  8. ilovecats94

    ilovecats94 New Member

    Bill,
    Thanks for your info. :)

    Hugs,
    Faye
    Really tired and going to bed now...
  9. victoria

    victoria New Member

    Nice to see you here!

    My vote is for beeswax... I used to do batik, was 'hooked' on the melted beeswax smell...

    got this from from a beeswax site:
    --------------

    It isn't just the paraffin that can be a problem. Pure paraffin is colourless, burns too quickly, and doesn't have much of a scent. Paraffin candle makers and the people who provide wax to them compensate for this with additives. They add stearic acid and other chemicals designed to extend the burning time, they add chemicals to color the wax, and they add chemicals to give them scents. Then people burn these candles and the partially combusted residues of these chemicals float about in the air and settle on their furniture, on their clothes, and on everything else.

    Pure beeswax makes excellent candles without any additives at all. Beeswax candles burn longer than paraffin (even with additives in the paraffin), burns cleanly, and smells great.
    Burning Time

    Beeswax candles cost more than paraffin candles ... or do they? This depends on how you measure it! A beeswax candle of a given size will cost more than a paraffin candle of the same size, but it will also burn for much longer - up to twice as long.
    -----------

    Personally I really do find the aroma of beeswax intoxicating, not sure why, but I absolutely love it.

    Someone near here perfected a technique for making 'honey pots' (not sure if that's their name for it) - but it's like a bowl made out of beeswax, and hand decorated with pressed flowers/leaves. On a warm day, the warmth is enough alone to release the armoa ... & absolutely wonderful when I burn a (beeswax!) votive candle in it!

    thanks!
    Victoria

  10. 1975jet

    1975jet New Member

    Yes, I have had both-and read about the parafin candles(I still burn them though) I met a lady awhile back who makes her own soy candles and sells them- she had breast cancer and it doing great- Nice little business she has- The candles and melters really have a nice smell- I found one of the worse candles are Lang-

    Anyways good post.
    Janet
  11. BILLCAMO

    BILLCAMO New Member

    Both beeswax and soy candles are superior to paraffin. But you must do your homework to make sure you're getting the "real thing".

    On the surface , they both seem to be more expensive..BUT ....both have a longer burning time without nasty additives to extend the burning time.

    I've wondered about the hot paraffin wax machines too. But , I just don't know if heating the paraffin releases the same amount of toxins as burning it does. In fact I've made a suggestion to the candle co. I use that they investigate the possibility of providing soy wax for hot wax machines. I think the beeswax option already exists , but , it is a bit more expensive than soy wax would be.

    Thanks for the welcome backs! Some kind of "glitch" kept me from accessing this site. I've missed all of you.

    Blessings ,

    b/c


    [This Message was Edited on 10/02/2006]
  12. BILLCAMO

    BILLCAMO New Member

    Info. & food for thought for those who have pet birds.

    In the past (& in some places now) , miners would bring birds into the mines with them as toxin indicators. Since they are more sensitive than humans , they would get sick and/or die from toxins in the mine before the miners did.

    This often gave the miners enough warning time to escape the mine before they had serious effects from the toxins.

    There are people who believe that paraffin candles have made their pet birds sick and/or have contributed to their pet's demise. But , who could/would pay for an autopsy for their pet bird ?

    Blessings ,

    b/c
    [This Message was Edited on 10/02/2006]
  13. victoria

    victoria New Member

    I remember when I was a kid up north, we had an icestorm that knocked out the power for a couple of days... we had the room nice & warm with the fireplace, put our canary's cage by, but not too close, to the fire.

    During the second day suddenly the logs collapsed down, releasing sparks, no obvious smoke, but the bird keeled over dead... still think it was fumes as it seemed happy before that, still chirping, not acting ill...

    But you're right, who's gonna autopsy a canary.

    And I DO think we are the 'canaries in the cage', as that one author (Ali?) entitled his CFIDS/FM book a while back ... unusually genetically susceptible to the introduced pollutions in air, water, and food plus the stealth bacteria and virii...

    all the best,
    Victoria

  14. BILLCAMO

    BILLCAMO New Member

    for those who may have missed this...

    Blessings ,

    b/c
  15. Joybear

    Joybear Member

    Thank you Bill for the info about candles. Something I'd not thought about.

    Regarding the canary. When I fell ill in the 80's and CFS/ME was still being largely treated as "All in the head", there was one brave doctor who said that those with CFS/ME were the canaries reacting sooner to the toxins in the atmosphere, food etc than everyone else. That it was time to take note and do something now before everyone else got sick. There do seem to be a LOT more sufferers now than there used to be. Kind of scarey.

    Warmest Wishes to you all,
    Karen
  16. jake123

    jake123 New Member

    to be sure there was oxygen. If the canaries came back out, there was oxygen.
    I have a candle warmer. I find I tolerate candles much better this way. Since it is not burning and it is the smoke I am allergic to, ~voila~, nice smelling kitchen.
  17. webintrig

    webintrig New Member

    Wow! I didn't know that and we have mega candles here. My hubby use to be a candle maker. I will have to tell him this!

    Welcome back from a newbie..lol
  18. Greenbean7

    Greenbean7 New Member

    You should also be aware that some candles that are made overseas may have lead in the wicks. You can read the info on it on the urban legends page at Snopes.

    We don't burn candles but I do have several around the house and when it is warm you can smell them. I burn a vanilla one in my office, but it makes me want sugar cookies!! With frosting!!

    Hugzz
    Greenbean

    Stop and smell the puppies!