For Those who still Drive

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Beadlady, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Beadlady

Beadlady Member

Do you have have a hard time trying to determine if your car wheels are low or flat?

2. paulac7

paulac7 Member

While the car is 'sitting' or while actually driving it?

If 'sitting', if you don't have a tire pressure gauge to check, the tires should be very firm when you poke at them (almost no give--if that makes any sense).

While going down the road, if you notice the car consistently 'pulling' to one side or the other, that could also indicate that air is needed in the tire.

Me, personally, I check my tire pressure about once a month, so I am pretty good about 'eyeballing' them to see if everything looks OK. Low tire pressure can cause some problems, the major one in my book is LESS gas mileage--which is a biggie with me, as I drive a truck that gets about 17 MPG on a *good* day!!!!

Hope this helps, and have a good morning!

Paula >^.^<
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

If you don't drive your car a lot, the tires can flatten out on the bottom where they sit. When you drive it, it will feel funny. This happens when tires aren't inflated fully. As the car is driven, the tires even out.

I have my own little battery-operated compressor with the air guage built in to the hose. It is more accurate than the little hand-held guages. If a tire is low, I just turn on the compressor and fill it up. I got mine at Sears.

I no longer drive much. My car is 8 years old and just broke 30,000 miles. I think it's gonna last me the rest of my life :)

Love, Mikie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is really nice. They have a new beautiful service area for trucks and SUV's and another for cars. Both have wi-fi; TV's; free coffee, tea, etc.; and free snacks. I pay more for my oil changes there but they go through about 20 different things in the car. I have never had to fill up any fluids and they check the air in the tires. Since I get synthetic oil, I only have to have it changed twice a year. In between, I have to check the tires myself. They would do it but I don't want to have to take it in and wait.

It's best to check the tires after the car has been sitting. When the car is driven and the tires heat up, it changes the pressure. The pressure inside the tires is always changing as the pressure and temperature in the ambient air outside changes. As long as they aren't really low, there usually isn't a problem. Still, you get the best wear and gas mileage when they are right on the money.

Love, Mikie