For those who take Bextra

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by AnnetClo, Nov 15, 2002.

1. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I don't take this med, but this was in the "breaking news" section of the Charlotte Observor this afternoon so I thought I would share.

Posted on Fri, Nov. 15, 2002

FDA issues warning about painkiller
    Associated Press

WASHINGTON - People who develop a rash upon taking a new painkiller called Bextra should immediately stop the drug because it has been linked to some rare but life-threatening skin diseases, federal health officials warned Friday.

The Food and Drug Administration has about 20 reports of serious reactions - including the skin diseases Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis and exfoliative dermatitis, as well as allergic reactions - among Bextra users since sales began in March.

The FDA estimates about 800,000 to 1 million people had recently begun taking Bextra when the reactions were reported. The immune system-linked skin disorders are thought to be more likely during the first few weeks of a drug's use than after the body becomes accustomed to the medicine.

Still, because those skin conditions are so rare, the FDA was surprised to see even that small cluster reported during Bextra's first year of sales. The conditions can be lifethreatening, and a few of the patients required hospitalization.

Stopping Bextra at the first sign of a rash lowers the chance of suffering a severe reaction, said Dr. Lawrence Goldkind, FDA's deputy director for painkillers.

In addition, the FDA warned that Bextra should not be used by anyone allergic to sulfa-containing drugs.

Bextra maker Pharmacia Corp. wrote thousands of doctors this week alerting them to the warning.

Bextra, known chemically as valdecoxib, treats arthritis and menstrual pain by reducing inflammation. It is a type of painkiller known as a cox-2 inhibitor.

2. AnnetClo

AnnetClo New Member

I don't take this med, but this was in the "breaking news" section of the Charlotte Observor this afternoon so I thought I would share.

Posted on Fri, Nov. 15, 2002

FDA issues warning about painkiller
    Associated Press

WASHINGTON - People who develop a rash upon taking a new painkiller called Bextra should immediately stop the drug because it has been linked to some rare but life-threatening skin diseases, federal health officials warned Friday.

The Food and Drug Administration has about 20 reports of serious reactions - including the skin diseases Stevens-Johnson syndrome, toxic epidermal necrolysis and exfoliative dermatitis, as well as allergic reactions - among Bextra users since sales began in March.

The FDA estimates about 800,000 to 1 million people had recently begun taking Bextra when the reactions were reported. The immune system-linked skin disorders are thought to be more likely during the first few weeks of a drug's use than after the body becomes accustomed to the medicine.

Still, because those skin conditions are so rare, the FDA was surprised to see even that small cluster reported during Bextra's first year of sales. The conditions can be lifethreatening, and a few of the patients required hospitalization.

Stopping Bextra at the first sign of a rash lowers the chance of suffering a severe reaction, said Dr. Lawrence Goldkind, FDA's deputy director for painkillers.

In addition, the FDA warned that Bextra should not be used by anyone allergic to sulfa-containing drugs.

Bextra maker Pharmacia Corp. wrote thousands of doctors this week alerting them to the warning.

Bextra, known chemically as valdecoxib, treats arthritis and menstrual pain by reducing inflammation. It is a type of painkiller known as a cox-2 inhibitor.

3. karen55

karen55 New Member

In fact, 6 weeks ago my Dr. doubled the dosage, but after almost 4 weeks of the double dosage and no improvement I stopped taking it. Why take it if it's not working? Besides that, it's an expensive medication!
    I have an appointment this afternoon and I'm printing this out to bring with me. Thanks for posting this.
  4. depressedallthetime

depressedallthetime New Member

I have been on this medication since it came out in March,my rheumatologist prescribed them.I haven't paid any attention until now when I read ur post.I'll make sure I note this cause she may take me off of it.I hope not, but i'll talk to her about it,I had a small rash on my stomach when I had the liver biopsy done, that's when the dr.'s
    noticed the rash. I didn't pay no mind to it.So I just wanted to thank you for posting this info. Thank you and God Bless all.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/15/2002]
  5. JannyW

JannyW New Member

in today's Observer, so many thanks for posting. I started on Bextra about 2 weeks ago, and couldn't figure out where this rash was coming from ... thought maybe it was from the increased dosage of Lexapro. Will call the rheumy on Monday. Thanks again!

Jan ^v^
    [This Message was Edited on 11/15/2002]
  6. herekitty

herekitty New Member

One more thing to worry about! I have been taking Bextra, and other than the price, I have been thrilled. It gave me headaches at first, but not any more. It has kept me from having to consider a hysterectomy, as it deals with both the pain and excessive bleeding. (I thought the reduced bleeding was just a coincidence, until I read about others reporting the same effect). I was nervous about it at first, since there are other lovely reported side effects, now I guess I will be nervous again. I am also allergic to sulfa drugs.....
    *Sigh*
    Kitty =^..^=
  7. BonBons

BonBons New Member

I had to stop taking it because of my IBS, angels were with me, I guess, because my doctor apparently overlooked that I was allergic to sulfa. Sheesh. Thanks again, BonBons
  8. selma

selma New Member

My hubby has a rash for a long time since he started Bextra. Since it isn't all over his body we just thought it was contact dermatitis. I just copied the article.
    Thank you again.

Love Selma