For those who take magnesium, what form, how much?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JewelRA, Jan 11, 2007.

1. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I have been taking 500mg of magnesium oxide for a few months now, and sometimes I think it's helping and sometimes not. My pain has been much lower than last year, praise God. My doctor at the mitral valve prolapse center and my rheumatologist both approve of the dosage and the form. I've read some sources that say the oxide form is not really very effective. But others say it is.

Just would love to hear from others what works (or doesn't). Thank you!
    Julie
  2. HurtsToMove

HurtsToMove New Member

I take 600mg 2x a day, with calcium, zinc and vitamin D. Not sure what form offhand, though. I find that it's more effective if I take it with meals. I've heard that you can take up to 2000mg, and to take less if diarrhea develops.
  3. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

250 mag oxide, don't know if it helps or not either.
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I take a combined Magnesium/Calcium/Zinc twice a day. It has 999mg Calcium/399mg Mag/15mg Zinc.

Magnesium should be taken in a balance form. There's a book called "The Miracle of Magnesium" that has so much good information in it.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  5. elliespad

elliespad Member

I use Magnesium Glycinate, but would also use Magnesium Taurate. I try to take 400 mg twice or three times a day.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/11/2007]
  6. marilynb

marilynb New Member

I really want to take Magnesium, but have so much trouble swallowing bigger pills.

Is anyone taking a liquid or chewable kind?

My husband & I have both been looking for a different form.

Marilynb
  7. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The absolute best form of a supplement of magnesium that has helped me is ZMA (zinc, magnesium asparate, and vitamin B-6) all in one capsule. I have been taking this now for 5 years, it helps with the FM pain, deep stage four sleep, and it actually cure my RLS, plus I do not have a problem with constipation anymore.

It is put out by SNAC company, but Pro Health now sells the SNAC brand for us, which cost half the price and is the same product. I think they also have it in liquid form if you have problems with capsules.

I take two capsules at night, men take three. I could not say enought about this wonderful supplement.

I have been under tremendous stress for the last year and a half, and only had about three Flares of FM, which is a miracle in itself.

Give it a try, you can read more about it at the 'Store' link at the top of this page. Just put 'ZMA' in the search area.

Our bodies are depleted of magnesium because of what they are doing to our foods, so we are deficient in this most important mineral, and its so badly needed for everything from our brain to our muscles.

I do suggest if you are taking a calcum supplement, separate them about two hours apart. There are two schools of through about calcium and magnesium, some think it should be taken together, others separate.

I tried it together and it had no affect on me, but by taking them separate it worked.

Shalom, Shirl

8. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Good to see you! I also second the ZMA. I am not a big supplement taker, but this supplement is the most helpful for me for sleeping. I have trouble falling asleep and ZMA makes you feel sleepy. Because of that, I would take it only at night, but it is definately a product worth a try!

When I first came on this site, I learned about the product from Shirl and have been forever grateful since, that she posted about this.

Take care, Sally
  9. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I always want to thank you for recommending magnesium to me when I joined about 2 years ago.

It's worked so well for me and I've repeatedly recommended it to others as well.

I just made a huge Pro Health order trying to get all my supps lined up and at one place so I just got some ZMA too. I'll be trying it soon.

Again, many painless days due to you.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  10. virtuoso

virtuoso New Member

My doctor has me taking Mag-Tab SR (magnesium L-lactate dihydrate). Supposedly, it has the best absorption.

It says on the bottle that it is the only 12 hour sustained release magnesium supplement.

There are 84 mg. of magnesium in each caplet and I take 4 caplets a day.

11. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I purchase a magnesium supplement called Natural Calm. It is in powder form and water soluble. I comes in a plain flavor (that tastes horrible to me!) and flavored varieties. It is also available with calcium.

It has helped me a lot. My muscles seem to be more relaxed, my digestion is better, my constipation issues are resolving and my tremors are lessened.

I buy mine at the chiropractors office but it can most likely be found at health food stores as well.

It is also available on the internet. I've noticed the price fluctuates quite a bit on the websites I've looked at. I pay $22 for the size I buy, I think it's 8 oz. That lastes me 3-4 weeks.

Here is a link

http://www.zhealthinfo.com/calm2.htm

This product is more easily absorbed. I've tried other magnesium products and most caused stomach upset.

I did have to build up to my dosage. If you do too much too soon, you may have bloating and gas.

The product is Peter Gilham's Natural Vitality, Natural Calm. I use the lemon-raspberry flavor and take a dose in the morning and in the evening--about 2 teaspoons each tine mixed with hot water. You can mix it with juice if you prefer. It does dissolve better in warm liquids.

I also use the Life vitamin and mineral supplement that you will see on that website.

I am in no way affiliated with these products. I just have used them and found them helpful.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/12/2007]
  12. JewelRA

JewelRA New Member

I looked the product up under the Store section, and it looks very interesting! I really want to give it a try.

For those of you who take it, do you also take other sleep meds? I am taking klonopin and Ambien at night, and would love to switch to something more natural. But I know I can't just quit them cold turkey, so, would it be "too much" to take the ZMA with them?

Thanks again,
    Julie
  13. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

I had to stop because it hurt my stomach terribly. I would recommend starting slowly and working your way up because of the potential stomach upset.
  14. forfink

forfink New Member

I have one sensitive stomach and this Magnesium is just the best!!! So glad I found this one........
  15. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I use magnesium glycinate, 500 mg per day.

I had a doctor tell me once that if magnesium is taken at the same time as calcium, it is mostly used for calcium absorption rather than for other purposes.

I thus take half my magnesium in the morning without calcium, and half my magnesium in the evening with calcium.

I'm not sure of the validity of this theory, but I figure it couldn't hurt.