For those with IBS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Nov 24, 2002.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Do you get spasm of the intestinal muscles or aches in the abdomen when your IBS is in a flare0? I get these annoying pinches in the waist area and lower abdomen especially the days of loose movements or diarreah. Just curious how FM plays a factor in the feelings of abdominal pain?
    Tania
  2. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Do you get spasm of the intestinal muscles or aches in the abdomen when your IBS is in a flare0? I get these annoying pinches in the waist area and lower abdomen especially the days of loose movements or diarreah. Just curious how FM plays a factor in the feelings of abdominal pain?
    Tania
  3. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

one thing I have found truly helps me is to stay away from too much white flour, gluten in other words and I take asidophilis(not sur eof spelling sorry) after every meal. it can be bought at any health food store--just make sure it is refrigerated or it is not as useful

I also use a heating pad when the pain is too bad and am on something called nulev for cramping as needed. It stinks, IBS----try working on really paying attention to what you eat and what sets it off and it will help a lot

cathy
  4. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I know we have some IBS sufferers among us. Just curious what you use (meds or supplements) that help you with the discomfort. I sometimes use Bentyl for the spasms. Any others with pain?
    Tania
  5. Roxi

Roxi New Member

When I feel it coming on I take an over the counter Imodium. Works to slow the gut contractions down! I don't know why we get this lovely symptom...must be because the intestines are muscles too. I just make sure the bathrooms are close by!
  6. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

I've had IBS for years--or at least that's what a gastroenterologist I trust told me years ago. Unfortunately, having MS kind of complicates the diagnosis. I get myoclonic jerks in association with my MS, and several doctors have said the myoclonus might be affecting my bowel. So my bowel problems could be MS instead of IBS. I suspect a little of both. I went through a lot of trial and error trying to figure out what tended to trigger the diarrhea part of it, which I found more difficult to deal with for social and professional reasons. Although I definitely feel discomfort in my lower abdomen from the IBS, I don't always feel that the symptoms coming on. (And that's when I have the biggest disasters.) Combining IBS with MS bowel and bladder urgency, not to mention myoclonic contractions, is very confusing, not to mention stressful.

My situation may be atypical; so I'm not sure how much help this reply is. But that's the way it is for me.

--Laura R.M.

P.S. I use Imodium to help with the symptoms, but I have to be careful. If I'm too quick to use the Imodium, it can make the constipation phase of the IBS worse. On the other hand, if I eat too much fiber or lactose at the wrong time, it can make the diarrhea phase worse. It's a constant balancing act.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/25/2002]
  7. lease79

lease79 New Member

I've been IBS free for a couple of months, but last time I had a really bad flare up I posted here too.
    Unfortunately I haven't found much that works for me, nothing for the 'gut spasms'.
    The spasms get so bad around 23 or so weeks pregnant, that I have honestly thought that I was in labour during my 2nd pregnancy :(
    It was hiddeous.
    I am thinking about imodium or something of the like next time it 'strikes', but I seem to have more trouble with constipation :( It fluctuates between the two, but the constipation is worse.
    Hope that you find something that works for you soon!

Lease