For those with SI Joint Problems, what are your ages?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Manaleon, Aug 22, 2008.

  1. Manaleon

    Manaleon New Member

    I'm curious to know what ages people on the site with SI joint problems are. And which side does it bother? or is it both? What helps relieve it for you?

    I'm 21, but the pain in my hips started almost as far back as I can remember(4?). It just started going out of place a year ago and since then it's gotten to the point where I need the dreaded cane. The big problem is my right side, though occasionally my left side will slide around a bit too. I go to physical therapy three times a week, twice in the pool and once on land. The water loosens me up so I feel like I can move a bit. On land I get stim treatment, ultra sound, and infrared. The therapist realign it for me and it helps a great deal, but too much land exercise aggrivates it.

  2. sweetbeatlvr

    sweetbeatlvr New Member

    even though i've had joint problems as far back as 13 that i can remember, my hips and back did not start on me until a week after my hysterectomy, last year. when the FM kicked into high gear.

    i feel mine is worse on the right side, but this morning it's my left.

    it feels like all the muscles, even the large muscle masses ball up, and push everything up into my spine until everything is out of place.

    my neurologist said it was originating from my SI joint. called it Sacroiliac disease, although i think he may have meant dysfunction, i'm not sure.

    i was supposed to go for warm water therapy, but my insurance wouldn't cover it. so i've been going to a friend's pool a couple times a week, to relieve some of the pressure on my body.

    not sure if it's helping, but it does feel better well i'm in there, so i continue.

    Jam recently made a thread w/ a link to some stretches for the SI joint. i'll find it and bump it for you.

    i bookmarked and have started doing the stretches. although at this point can't tell if they are helping or hurting, because i've been hurting for so long.

    i thought i was young for all of this, but you are so so young, you poor thing.=(

    i hope you find reief soon.<3
  3. Manaleon

    Manaleon New Member

    Thanks for the reply. Is there a way you could soak in a hot bath without the getting in and out of the tub making it worse? My husband and I figured out a way for him to pull me out of the tub without a lot of pain. The therapy I go to has a nice warm pool. The insurance covers it but it's still $30 a session, so $90 a week. We still owe them a lot of money, but I need to have some mobility. Unfortunately my nerves are too sensitive for me to go in a pool less than 90 degrees, but my heart is sensitive to high temperatures too some the physical therapy pool and the tub are my options for now.

    Speaking of stretching, the one I find most helpful with the SI Joint is the Peraforma(not sure of the spelling) stretch. You lie on your back with your knees bent(knee caps pointing at the ceiling). Then you take one leg and rest the ankle on the knee that's still bent. Grab behind the bent knee(like doing a simple knee to chest exercise) and gently pull it towards you. You should feel a stretch in the SI Joint area of the ankle on knee leg. It gives some temporary relief anyways.

    Good luck with everything.

  4. dixiet

    dixiet New Member

    I am 38. Mine started at about 17. It effects both sides and has progressed up my spine into the neck and left shoulder. Rheumy is leaning toward some sort of spondylitis, hasn't narrowed down which one yet.

  5. msnova74

    msnova74 New Member

    I am 33 mine started when I was 18.

  6. DelightsDomain

    DelightsDomain New Member

    I'm 33 and mine started when I turned 31 after the birth of my 2nd child. I thought it was because of the pregnancy and how that puts your body out of whack and how much pressure it puts on the hips but now i'm beginning to think otherwise.

    I was recently diagnosed w/ fibro and I'm not sure if one has to do w/ the other. Since the day after my 31st birthday I've been seeing a Chiropractor and he is great. Depending on how bad I've been hurting I would see him once a week to correct the problem and then go twice a month for regular maintaince care. It is essential that if you go to a chiropractor or if you have problems that you go for maintaince. You cant just go a few times and let time go by before you go again... My insurance covers the visits, which is a plus but I also have a great chiro who would work payments out w/ me should I need it.

    When mine starts hurting the pain is so severe it brings me to tears. The pain will radiate down my legs and into my knees, I cant move. I will lay in my bed w/ a heating pad, since the heat seems to help and take some pain killers to dull the pain and cry myself to sleep.

    Exercise is good. My Chiro tells me that i need to strengthen my abs, low back quads and hamstrings to keep the body aligned. It's amazing how muscles, if not strong will pull your body this way and that w/o you even noticing. I went to the gym for a period of time for strength training and I didnt have as many problems w/ my hips when i was going but then the fibro flare came on and the fatigue and pain from that kept me from going for a period of time. I need to get back into it, that's for sure... I hope this helps
    [This Message was Edited on 08/26/2008]
  7. MtnDews

    MtnDews New Member

    June, I would advise you to go to a geneticist. Many with FM also have Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and dislocations are one of the prime symptoms. A sports medicine/rehabilitation Dr. (physiatrist) can instruct YOU how to put the SI joint back in place. I'm 54 and get cortizone injections a couple of times a year. That and the strength training really helps with the pain. You are right, hydrotherapy is the best.
  8. Manaleon

    Manaleon New Member

    Thank you everyone for your replies.

    And Mtndew, I'll ask my doctor about that. My fingers and toes have been dislocating as well so I've been a little worried.

  9. buttercakes

    buttercakes New Member

    Im 43 and I have had back problems all my life, I had an MRI about a year ago and found out there is intravertebral disk space narrowing at L-4,L5-S1. The only thing that really helps me is my Chiropractor, but it is only temporary relief.

    What is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome? Thanks, Sandie
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2008]
  10. tansy

    tansy New Member

    since childhood but it became worse after I became ill with ME due the classic muscle weakness and generalised debility. After Tx had some effect I started to use a pilates machine and that worked better than any of the chiro or PT Tx I had before.

    The pilates machine helps to correct posture too and that can help with S1 instability.

    I can easily injure my joints, connective tissues, and S1 joint if I try to do things when my generalised weakness etc is worse.

    There's a high incidence of hypermobility syndrome in my family; issues with the S1 joint are very common in inherited hypermobile syndromes and become worse during pregnancy.

    tc, Tansy
    [This Message was Edited on 08/28/2008]

[ advertisement ]