for Torontonians - ME Ontario at City Hall Sat. Jun 21!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jen F, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Jen F

Jen F New Member

I received an email today, with the following info:
    THE MYALGIC ENCEPHALOMYELTIS ASSOCIATION OF ONTARIO IS HOSTING A
    M.E./CFS MEDICAL INFORMATION SESSION:

DATE: SATURDAY, JUNE 21, 2003
    - IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER
    Take East Elevators to '3C ' (set of 6 elevators)

TIME: REGISTRATION BEGINS AT 12 NOON

SPEAKERS: 1 PM - 4 PM
    DR. ALISON BESTED F.R.C.P.(C)
    Dr.Bested has a wealth of knowledge of M.E./CFS
    DR. PETER POWLES
    Sleep Disorder Consultant
    Chief of Medicine, St.Joseph's Health Centre, Toronto
    Professor, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto

- BREAK - Juices will be availabe in the Members Lounge

DR.ALAN C. LOGAN, DOCOTOR OF NATUROPATHIC MEDICINE
    Dr. Logan has co-authored M.E./CFS research papers with
    Dr. Bested and is an Alumnus of Harvard Medicine School's
    Clincial Training in Mind-Body Medicine

SHORT QUESTION AND ANSWER PERIOD
    (A card will be given to you when you register to
    write your question on, and will be collected during the
    break)

FREE ADMISSION - UNDERGROUND PARKING $6.00
    CLOSEST SUBWAY STATIONS: Yonge and Queen or University and Queen
    WHEELCHAIR ASSESSIBLE
    PLEASE REFRAIN FROM WEARING SCENTED PRODUCTS
    ** PLEASE NOTE: THAT DUE TO THE TECHNICAL WIRING, WE'RE SORRY, BUT NO FOOD
    OR BEVERAGES ARE PERMITTED IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBER.

To find the East Elevators, after you walk in the front door of the City
    Hall, veer to your right after the Information desk to the set of 6
    elevators.
    Volunteers and Notices will be available in the Rotunda of City Hall to
    direct you.

The Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Association of Ontario
    P.O. Box 84522
    2336 Bloor Street West
    416-222-8820
    1-877-632-6682
    www.meao-cfs.on.ca

2. givebliss

givebliss New Member

I wonder if we'll learn anything new? You planning on going? I noticed they were kind enough not to start before noon!

bliss out
  3. lucky

lucky New Member

and thanks for your info. But, I have the feeling that in my case I am not learning anything new, otherwise I would attend.
    The people this should be addressed to and who should attend are our government health departments. They should be informed more than anybody else why we are ill and what they have to do to help us. When I feel up to it later, I will e-mail your message to my local member of parliament here in Mississauga South who I have been in touch with before many years ago and who did refer me to the Environmental Health Clinic at the time.
    Have a good day, if one can call this cold June 4th, a sunny and nice day. Lucky
  4. Jen F

Jen F New Member

"The people this should be addressed to and who should attend are our government health departments. "

Exactly, Lucky...

I was excited at first when I received the email, cause I thought it meant that council members would be present. Then I realized later may mostly be CFS people.

I will try to find out if many gov't people or docs will be there and if it's important for me to attend. Otherwise I may not, as I have seen Bested and Logan speak at Women's College Hosp in the last 2 yrs and I have plenty of other things to do with my limited energy.

As an aside...I went to Naturopathic Clinic today and tried an injection of Bcomplex and Cal/Mag to help with my sore back and with the fatigue. The needle is given in the butt, both sides. The needle wasn't bad but man, did the stuff in it hurt me! Pain all down my leg. And I'm not good with needles in the first place. My legs are still a little sore and it's been 3 hours. Don't think I'll be doing THAT again.... Other people seem to get little or no pain with the shots, I'm told. But not me. Sometimes I get really fed up with all of my body's little "reactions"! I feel like a hypochondriac and I know some people see me that way, most especially when I am reacting to a strong chemical smell. That happened last week at the physio clinic. I walked in and the smell of paint thinner or something similar hit me like a ton of bricks. I couldn't beleive the recep didn't know what I was talking about when I asked about the smell and if there was painting being done. turns out the xray person had just opened a bottle of developing chemicals in the next room. I may have to go to another physio clinic because of the smell - it still bothered me when I returned 5 days later. Seems they open a bottle about 1ce a week and I guess the chemicals sit in a tray, so the chemicals are in the air all the time, just sometimes would be stronger.

Do you guys have any MCS? or sensitivity to strong perfumes, etc?

I'm a bit of a canary.

Agencies should use me to check for environmental contamination, or presence of certain chemicals. I could use the money. :)
  5. lucky

lucky New Member

you should let the ME Association know that they should involve the health professionals at our provincial governments and inform them to attend. I have the feeling that they are doing very little, because when I was addressing an e-mail to another organization in Ottawa, I got the reply that it hardly occurred to them to put some pressure on the government. That's why I am not joining any of these groups for one thing.
    Well, we have to organize and put the pressure on ourselves I guess as much as we can.
    Bye for now, Lucky