For women only

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by celina, May 4, 2003.

1. celina

celina New Member

I have the most painful cramps, when I get my period. It is worse than contractions during labour. I actually lose the circulation in my legs and have been hospitalized, because I can't walk or breath I am in so much pain. My doctor says it could be part of my FM. Does anyone have these problems and what do you do about it.
    Celina
  2. Takesha

Takesha New Member

I'm a little older and don't really have these problems but the subject has been brought up alot in the last several days. If you do a search of periods, or bleeding, or maybe even cramps I'm sure you could find some of the posts.
    I read your other post also, and I am sorry about your family. Please know it may just take a little time, and if that doesn't help you always have "family" here.

Takesha
  3. celina

celina New Member

i will do the search and hopefully i will remember the sciantific name for it, so i can research more.
    celina
  4. Frackie11382

Frackie11382 New Member

Celina,

The scientific name is dysmenorrhea. I know b/c my gyno sends me for an ultrasound every year for it. I'm on Birth Control Pills. If you look under my profile for BCP, then you'll find the post I did about it a while back. I found that heating pads/hot water bottles relieve some of it. Then also take Advil...it's an anti-inflammatory that reduces the swelling in our uterus that sometimes causes cramping. Check out the other post though. I think I had more info on it, but brain fog's got me right now.

Friends in Fibro,

~~Tara~~
  5. fibrodoll

fibrodoll New Member

I don't get cramps as bad as you do, it sounds unbearable.

I just turned 43 and over the years my cramps are getting worse. My muscles feel like they are in a tight knot and I get shoting pains in my thighs. I feel hungry but if I eat my abdomin gets even tighter.

I find that heat and sleep are the only things that help.

Is your doc a gyn? Have you had an exam lately? Maybe there is an underlying problem.

I hope it gets better. Bye for now, Valerie
  6. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

Many here have or have had this. We suspect there is a connection to our illness and it does make either condition worse when your period comes around.

Lane
  7. kalina

kalina New Member

Endometriosis would be my guess, too. There seems to be an unusual number of cases in FM/CFS patients. I suffered with endometriosis for 14 years before it was diagnosed, and the cramps were HORRIBLE. The GP I was seeing at the time knew I had all the symptoms and misdiagnosed me. I hope you'll make an appointment to see a gynecologist if you have one so you can find out what it is and get treatment.

I hope you'll feel better soon.

Kalina
  8. herekitty

herekitty New Member

I have had horrible cramps since I started having periods. It got to the point that I was considering a hysterectomy - my periods were so long, heavy, and painful. My OB gave me Bextra to try. I had no great hopes, since I have tried everything that's come out for the last 20 years. It worked! Not only does it deal with the pain, it decreased the bleeding. Endometriosis is not the only thing that can cause clotting and pain. Hormonal imbalances and fibroids can do so as well. Anyway, if you haven't tried Bextra, you might consider it. My insurance company tried to tell me that it was just an arthritis drug, but it is also FDA approved for menstrual pain.
    Kitty =^..^=
  9. tandy

tandy New Member

Boy do I know about cramps!!! wholey cow! I do suffer from Endometriosis,my cramps were so bad that sometimes when i'd have to try to use the toilet(hopefully to relieve them)I'd have to tell my oldest son to check on me in 5-10 minutes if I don't come out!!My cramps are like you describe...Labor pains!sometimes i'll break out in a cold sweat with them and feel very faint like i'm gonna pass out!I have a couple times~ I can only say to get your Gyno to help figure out the problem....nobody should have to go thru this kind of mentrual pain!There probably is an underlying cause,fibroids,endo,ovarian cysts,etc.. I tried to ignore mine in the beginning for some time before I knew something was wrong and I went to my Gyno. The only thing that I've been told to take is advil or Motrin 600mgs. And I use a heating pad on my belly. I'd say its something along with the FM~not just FM alone.(my guess) Please let us know how you make out,OK?
    Take care....
    Tracey
  10. celina

celina New Member

Tandy those cold sweats ring a bell.
    I have had this problem for 11 years, but I need to find something that isn't aspirin based. I have been stuck "just dealing with it" for too long, I will take all of your guy's advice straight to my doc.
    thanx a bundle
    celina
  11. dolsgirl

dolsgirl New Member

Have you ruled out endometriosis? I had that and it's also one of many symptoms of fms. dolsgirl
  12. marecee58

marecee58 New Member

I was also diagnosed with endometriosis. There appears to be a strong link for women with endometriosis and fibromyalgia. Horrible cramps and heavy bleeding were the norm. A hysterectomy took care of the endo problem five years ago. Talk to your GYN; endoscopic exploration will reveal if you have endometriosis.
  13. FibroNan

FibroNan New Member

I can also tell you that Bextra helps my menstrual cramps. It didn't do a thing for my FM pain but it's great for the cramps.
    Nancy
  14. Heidi

Heidi New Member

I think my cramps (which also have sent me to the hospital and I have had the Ultrasound that ruled out endrometriosis) ...anyways it's like my cramps were amplified by various triggerpoints in my pelvis. When I had treatments with saline needles to break up the triggerpoints in my left hip the pelvic ones settled down.
    Now my periods aren't nearly as painful. Constipation can still trigger some of those pelvic triggerpoints into cramp like symptoms so I know they're not quite gone.
    Take care!
  15. celina

celina New Member

I have been writing down even printing all of what you guys have said. Thanx again. I have 2 kids and am concerned that a histerectamy(sp) at age 23 will not go over well with my doctor. How old were some of you who have had it done, and how many of you had to take hormones?
    Celina
  16. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Hi Hon. I am sorry to hear that you have had such terrible pelvic pain. I am 25 and have suffered from Dysmennoreah since I was 12. I also suffer from randon pelvic pain througout the month, painful ovulation, and sexual pain. How long have you had this problem? Had it gotten any better or worse after having your kids? I had Laproscopic Surgery when I was 22 to look for Endometriosis. From what I have heard, an Ultrasound would not necessarily be able to find the Endo. Mabye I'm wrong. Because I have had many of them too. All they found was that I had very large painful ruptured cysts. That may also be your problem. During the surgery, they only found a little bit of damage to one of my fallopian tubes and no endo. But my doc said that I probably had microscopic traces. Whatever that means. I was misdiagnosed 3 times with Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, which is an STD. Believe me, that REALLY ticked me off. My suggestion is that you address this with an OB/GYN ASAP. And if you do not get good results, keep trying different docs. I have been to at least 20 different docs and many trips to the ER since I was 18. Eventually, they will find something and be able to help you. A supplement that you may want to try in Evening Primrose Oil. You can get it from any health food store or pharmacy. It helps VERY much with cramps. At least it might take the edge off. Also avoid caffeine if all possible, that will make things tons worse for you. Good luck, and let us know how you make out!

Love and Hugs,
    Kathryn
  17. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I had endometriosis surgery in 1989 & have not had cramps since. I had a horrible history of menstrual pains since adolescence, had passed out 3 times, serious bleeding, simultaneous vomitting & diarrehea, etc.

My former gyn found the endometriosis. She said she sould see it & touched it. I went thru the roof! Said she couldn't understand why former GYNs hadn't seen it, too. I never had an ultrasound before the laparoscopy.

Hoping you get relief soon!
  18. DragonBall

DragonBall New Member

i also suffer this same illness, my doctor says it is linked to my fm,also im on tabs to clot my blood.if these stop working they want me to have hysterectomy.my doctor also thinks im going into the meno pause im 35.one point since ive been on my clotting tabs my pain has halved!.they are called cyklokapron,[tranexamic acid. good luck,lol deb
  19. celina

celina New Member

I can't read calender's my appt. isn't till the 16th. But to Kathryn I alo use PMS Tea, and it's a Godsend for everything, but the pain. My Doc had found cysts, but hasn't for about 5 years. Ralph, I will talk to my Doc about the hormone thing, but I already know I have elevated hormones, My estrogen level is so high you can see it. I remember some tests my Doc did when I was 14-15 they said I don't have a problem with clotting in my blood, but I do have a very low red blood cell count, which to this day sounds like an contradiction. But I am taking all this info to my doc. Thanx