forced to resign

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jasminesmema, Apr 8, 2006.

1. jasminesmema

jasminesmema New Member

I have been reading lots of messages from different ones who encountered the same job situation that I did so far as harassment, etc. VERY educational! Unfortunately, I did not know of this web site at that time or I may have handled things differently. I worked as office manager for a small company for 9 years. Before I finally left my boss was on me everyday! She made working conditions horrible. She even called in the company insurance rep to see if they could have me drug tested! We were a "not at will" company so they said they didn't need a reason to fire me, BUT this company wouldn't fire anyone, didn't want anyone filing unemployment. All of you know the emotional battle we struggle with. I was finally just worn down. She had been telling me everyday for nearly two weeks that I either needed to stop therapy and decrease my meds so I could work or I needed to quit that she couldn't work with me like this that she depended on me. I finally gave up and just gave my notice. Now I realize I was probably wrong. I have filed for SSDI but am still in the waiting stage. Any advice.
    I am new to posting on this site but I just want to tell all of you how encouraging your notes are, even when they are just venting. It reminds me I truly am not alone in this.
    Ps. 23 says in the valley He restores our souls! Our souls must be restored by now!
    Have a great day!
    jasminesmema
  2. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

get a hold an attorney...did she put anyting negative in writing...

send a copy to ssa on your case of where she is telling you to stop your meds/and therapy...

good luck
  3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

While you are waiting for your SSDI? It might be worth a try...I'm sorry you had to go through all the stress, but I'm glad you found us. I've been on here a year because I have a son with CFIDS. It has been a great support and source of info. He is 18 and is able to attend college, but he has trouble with brain fog and gets tired, as you can imagine. So I keep searching for the "magic bullet." I know there isn't one, but he does seem to get slowly better with supplements and avoiding MSG and aspartame.
    Anyway, welcome. Let us know how you are doing! Love, Terri
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Jasminesemama:
    One day out of the clear blue sky I quit my job. I just knew I was unable to do it anymore. I filed for SSD and got it. I swore I would never work again for the simple reason that I could not do it.

I never looked back. I knew it was the right thing to do for me. I believe everyone has their limits.

Keep faith.

NyroFan
  5. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I just did the same thing NyroFans did. I knew I couldn't do it anymore. I was able to get a decent retirement package from the company I worked for. I took it, walked away and will never question my decision.

We all have to decide when the time is right for us to throw in the towel with certains aspects of our lives. Someone on this board wrote that over the years they have slowly gotten better. Or (they stated) maybe its really that I now understand my limitations and don't expect as much. This is part of making us better as we aren't stressing out bodies as much. So, if you think the time was right to leave a job....it probably was.
  6. wildflowers2

wildflowers2 New Member

I walked this path....Now listen..You need toget your
    personal file ASAP. So, they cant pad anything in it.

Send it certified,return receipt requested to HR.

WHen you send your letter on the bottom under your name write..

ex:

Wildflowers2

cc: Lawyers file copy

I came to the point where I almost had to have my husband who has power of attorney over me go in and get the darn things.

What state do you live in???

workmans comp is a crap shoot so dont get false hopes on that.

and IF you didnt make a ton of money a lawyer wont want the case. and they can jerk you around for several years,
    send you to THEIR doctors and screw you up more.
    Just and F.Y.I.

You can file with the EEOC

companies are SCUM!!!! rats all of them!!!!

OH....I made the mistake of thinking....(silly me)
    that one person was MY friend and she called to she how I was and IF /how ect a law suit was going.

BIG mistake...she was a rat for the company!!!!!!!!

good luck

Wild

7. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I took a former supervisor to court. I did not win, but she lost her job. She was mean as heck too.

You know what goes around comes around I always think. Just make sure you never act like she did. This is what I have learned by being squashed a lot, to be a better person.

If it was recently, I would contact the EOC locally or even the union, even if you are not a member they can advise you. It is illegal for an employer or supervisory staff to aask your age, sexual preference, religious preference or what medication you are taking as far as am aware UNLESS it is a safety issue.

Love Anne C
  8. jasminesmema

jasminesmema New Member

Thank you all for the kind words!
    I haven't looked back. Just hated to be forced out. I wouldn't have left otherwise. I truly believe God orders our steps. The company was small and new when I started, and it was a nice family business. As business increased, ethics decreased. I wasn't happy there, but it paid very well for this area and being sole supporter felt like I had to stay. I should've left a long time ago!! I feel God has me walking this path for a purpose. I look forward to sharing with each of you in days to come.
    Enjoy the blessings of the day!! and may tomorrow be a pain free one!!
    jasminesmema
  9. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

I tried to keep working after I had been told that I had Myastenia, when it turned out to be FM.

I have to admit that I was running low. Additionally, I FELT WORSE THAN MOST OF MY PATIENTS I WAS ANESTHETIZING.

I had been a star performer with the energy of three people and it was a struggle. I was bone tired.

Then, I fell, injured my neck, as in four vertebrae, my pelvis, and my lumbar spine, as well as my right shoulder.

I thought, oh a little PT and I'll be fine. NO WAY.

Trying to get over that kind of injury, I was finally told would be impossible for someone normal, but with Myastenia, impossible.

Before that, I had admitted or informed the Anesthesia Group for whom I worked that I had not only the injury, but a prominent Neurologist felt I had Myastenia.

The Chief of Anesthesia called me in on the weekend to talk to me - I TOOK A RECORDER IN MY POCKET. DID HE THINK I WAS A FOOL?

Told me that my performance wasn't up to par, AND I TOLD HIM THAT HIS WASN'T EITHER, SINCE HE WAS A DRUG ADDICT. I HAD CAUGHT HIM TAKING MY NARCOTICS, WHICH WERE FOR PATIENTS, before the accident and we had an argument of HUGE PROPORTIONS. I was documenting all the stuff about his little drug escapades, intending to take it to the hospital and the state board when I was injured. HE WENT BALLISTICS.

Anyway, told me I HAD TO SWEAR AND SIGN A RELEASE SAYING I WOULD NOT MISS A DAY OF WORK IF HE PERMITTED ME TO RETURN, BECAUSE OF ILLNESS. I TOLD HIM THAT WAS BLATANTLY ILLEGAL AND HE COULD STUFF IT.

This guy was up, up, up like a manic depressant, and suddenly would crate and have to go to bed in the middle of a case and they let it go on. He had wrecked his new Mercedes, by rolling it at 3 a.m. in the morning, with this bimbo with him, WHEN HE WAS SCHEDULED TO DO AN OPEN HEART SURGERY AT 7:30 a.m.

We went round and round and I told him that he COULDN'T LEGALLY REQUIRE ME TO SIGN ANYTHING AND I WOULDN'T AND THAT HE WOULD BE VERY, VERY SORRY FOR STEPPING ON ME. He backed down.

However, just days later the PT and the Doc sat me down and told me THAT NEVER, EVER WOULD MY NECK AND BACK AND PELVIS BE FIT TO WORK. I CRIED AND CRIED AND CRIED.

Then, the doctor finally decided I had FM, not Myastenia.

To make a long story short, I was preparing this report to the State Board about this doctor, when he got in trouble. He was on call, was called to come out for an emergency, NEVER, EVER SHOWED UP AND THEY COULDN'T GET HIM ON HIS HOME PHONE, HIS CELL, HIS BEEPER, NOTHING.

He finally called in the next morning and said he had been having GI trouble and passed out from the dehydration. THEY TOLD HIM TO COME IN TO BE CHECKED AND TO HAVE A DRUG SCREEN. HE WOULDN'T COME, THEY SUSPENDED HIM, AND THREE WEEKS LATER, HE WAS ARRESTED BY THE FEDS AND HAD COCAINE, HEROIN, AND GOD ONLY KNOWS WHAT ON HIM, IN HIS CAR, AND IN HIS HOME.

I WAS RIGHT.

At any rate, fight these people.

Go to the EEOC, and any agency for the Disabled and make trouble. IF THEY SAY YOU CAN'T WORK, THEN THEY HAVE MADE YOUR CASE FOR DISABILITY.

As for SSDI, get the hormone tests, get the EMG's for nerve problems, DOCUMENT THOSE TRIGGERS. THEY ARE NOT SUBJECTIVE.

THE DOCS AND THE PT'S CAN FEEL THE THINGS.

If your spine is a problem, get an MRI.

GET THE SLEEP LAB.

Then, there is a two day test, administered by Physical Therapists, where they ask you to do things, physical mental, etc. The first day is bad enough, but the second day, most FM people just crate. If we somehow get through the first day by forcing ourselves, our body rebells and just dumps us for the second day.

These people are trained to tell a fake.

I forget what the test name is, but I read one of the doctors on this post or on something someone gave a posting to and HE SAID THE SAME THING.

FM patients can force themselves, sometimes to work for a day or two and then they crate, because we have exhausted everything, and that the PT test can clearly demonstrate it for disability, along with the other things.
  10. Jen102

Jen102 New Member

i recommend seeing an attorney asap to learn your rights. if someone forces you to quit, it is the equivalent of firing you in some instances, so you may be entitled to unemployment comp. Or maybe you will be entitled to disability paymetns thru the company. in any event, it is too complicated for most to understand esp when you are really sick and time is critical. get some help! blessings to you. Jen102