Forehead/Eye/Neck problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Roberta17, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Roberta17

Roberta17 New Member

Hello!
    I'm new to the message board arena, and am really encouraged to find people who are going through similar situations that I am! I had a question to ask, hoping SOMEONE has experienced a similar set of symptoms.
    For the last 3 months, I have had a sort of heavy/tingling/numbness in my forehead, along with some pain around my eyes (the latter part being occasionally), and also ALOT of muscle tension/pain in my neck. I was diagnosed last year with a herniated cervical disc, so at first I dismissed these symptoms as being associated with the disc problem, but the longer it goes on, the less I think it has to do with the disc! It is really freaky - if I am sitting at my desk, and look up at someone who is standing, I get these kind of muscle spasms around my eyes (not visible, but makes me have to squint, and is very uncomfortable!) This whole thing is very distracting, and I find it really hard to concentrate on anything else when it is occurring, which is most of the time! Don't know if it is Fibro or not - my doctor (who I am TRYING to replace!) just tells me its my nerves, and not to worry about it! (Which is VERY typical of my doctor!)
    Does ANYONE else experience any similar???
    Thanks so much for your help - this message board is a Godsend!!!
    Gail
  2. Roberta17

Roberta17 New Member

Hello!
    I'm new to the message board arena, and am really encouraged to find people who are going through similar situations that I am! I had a question to ask, hoping SOMEONE has experienced a similar set of symptoms.
    For the last 3 months, I have had a sort of heavy/tingling/numbness in my forehead, along with some pain around my eyes (the latter part being occasionally), and also ALOT of muscle tension/pain in my neck. I was diagnosed last year with a herniated cervical disc, so at first I dismissed these symptoms as being associated with the disc problem, but the longer it goes on, the less I think it has to do with the disc! It is really freaky - if I am sitting at my desk, and look up at someone who is standing, I get these kind of muscle spasms around my eyes (not visible, but makes me have to squint, and is very uncomfortable!) This whole thing is very distracting, and I find it really hard to concentrate on anything else when it is occurring, which is most of the time! Don't know if it is Fibro or not - my doctor (who I am TRYING to replace!) just tells me its my nerves, and not to worry about it! (Which is VERY typical of my doctor!)
    Does ANYONE else experience any similar???
    Thanks so much for your help - this message board is a Godsend!!!
    Gail
  3. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I have had these sort of symptoms just about every day for the past 17 yrs. I am dx'd with FMS and DDD at C6 &7 with left radiculopathy. Since my dx's are same as yours, I can't answer whether it is the discs or the FMS, but I vote for the FMS since it causes higher sensitivity to problems the degenerative discs may be causing. In otherwords, without the FMS, we might not notice the eye pressure, neck tightness, etc. I also have a nifty symptom tht sometimes goes along with all this where the walls or ceiling appear to be breathing in and out in waves. My Rheumy says it is ANS (autonomic nervous system) misfiring, in otherwords, FMS.
    Klutzo
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Hi Gail, welcome to the board. I have had sinilar symptoms, but mine seemed to be a combination of FM and severe sinus attacks.

Also if you are working under fluorescence lighting, it intensifies the problem, as we are so sensitive to lights, sounds, and smells.

Hope you find a solution, if you do let us know about it.

Again, welcome to the board.

Shalom, Shirl
  5. Roberta17

Roberta17 New Member

Sorry it took me MONTHS to answer you both; I JUST found this message board in my "favorites" this afternoon!! It's good to hear that others experience the same problems - well, not really GOOD; actually it's awful for you! - but it's nice to know that I'm not alone!
    Since my initial post, I have (FINALLY!) found a WONDERFUL doctor, who actually takes me seriously and understands Fibromyalgia! And his thinking was similar to your thinking, Klutzo, that the fibro is simply making my disc problems more noticeable. And Shirl, your point on the lighting was really interesting; the problem is generally much worse at the office than at home! (Which could very well be the lighting...or just the job!) And I never even realized, until I saw the new doctor, than the sensitivity thing was a common fibro complaint; when I complained of the sensitivity in my neck to my old doc, he basically said I was a wacko! ANYWAY, I'm finally under the care of someone KNOWLEDGEABLE in this area, and I know things are going to be fine!
    Thank you both for your responses, and for caring!
    God Bless!
    Gail
  6. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Glad to see you found us again, and that you have also found a good doctor, wonderful news!

Don't be a stranger, will be looking forward to hearing how you are doing.

Shalom, Shirl