Forgetfulness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Aberlaine, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I suffer from fibro fog most days, but lately, it's turned into downright forgetfulness. Twice this week, I've forgotten appointments - one for my monthly massage and one with my psychiatrist. I have a calendar hung behind my monitor where I write everything. I also have a "to-do" list on my computer which I consult several times a day.

But forgetting appointments has never happened to me. I'm worried that the fibro fog (and FM) is getting worse because of something I did or didn't do. And it's making me even more depressed than I already am. It's a "lack of control" feeling which is scaring me.

I stopped taking my Premarin (had hysterectomy in 1995) because I read the symptoms of estrogen dominance somewhere and they were very similar to the symptoms of FM. I've also stopped my Elavil since it's been known to cause weight gain and I'm struggling to lose weight.

I'd love to hear from you if your forgetfulness has gotten worse, or if you think stopping either the Premarin or Elavil was the wrong thing to do.

Thanks so much.
    Nancy
  2. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

Hi Sidney,
    Thanks for answering me. I, too, have a day planner in my purse. I try to make sure that my calendar and day planner have the same events. That way, when I'm out and have to make an appointment, I can see what days are available. I just need to be looking at both of them a lot more than I do, I guess.

Like you, it's so unlike me to forget appointments. I was so embarrassed about missing them, but called back and immediately rescheduled. One was with my psychiatrist and now I have to wait 'til the end of the month to see her. The other was for a massage, which I'll reschedule tomorrow.

Guess we'll all survive our forgetfulness with whatever gimmicks we come up with. I just might have to start putting sticky notes on my computer screen!

Nancy
  3. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I forget where I put the day planner or calendar ... but that is a great idea. I still can't find some important paperwork that I have been searching for (for weeks). I remember putting it someplace safe ...

I am currently sorting through stuff and trying to organize it.
  4. cheilluminata

cheilluminata New Member

The body goes and the mind follows...seems to be what has happened to me.
  5. monamea

monamea New Member

My forgetting is a pain in the butt! I've learned to keep two calenders and also I write down notes on a pad near me when I think of something that has to be done or that I have to do, I still miss something but not appts. It's also nice that all my doctors call a day ahead to remind me of an appt. There is also on the market lately a recording device that is small and easy to carry, it's like a reminder thing and I've seen ads in the paper and on tv, it doesn't cost much. Also, you can get a small tape player at any staples or walmart I believe and carry it with you and when a thought comes record it to play back later or all through the day.

I like all of you get scared when I forget stuff and I fear that I am losing my mind. Sometimes I can be talking and forget what I was thinking and than I feel dumb. If I am speaking to someone I tell them I'm sorry but I have lost my train of thought, that usually works. My friends understand and help me to get back on track.
  6. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I have 2 day planners too. One for appts - Dr., time (their time and my time!) and which one of us. i also add other things - company, haircuts, those kind of things.

What i forget is what i had planned to do next, what did i go into pantry for?, things to add toi grocery list, not really inmportant things but only to me.

I call it Sr. Moment so others do not realize it's just anotheri FMS thing!!!

Hang in there.

Oh yes, i keep the old ones near by - it is good to refer to as to what happened when and why.

Onh yes, I forgot!!! The second one i use a kind of a journal or diary. How handy that is too.