"forgot" I was ill

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by crazydaisy0578, Jul 29, 2006.

1. crazydaisy0578

crazydaisy0578 New Member

Wow, I look back to two years ago when I was bed ridden and had a terrible doctor who thought I was nuts. Then amazingly I found a Rheumy who wasn't afraid to listen, try different treatments, etc. I am so busy now, work full time, will be graduating with a 4.0 with my bachelors in the fall...my life is great and I do have a great quality of life. My pain has been so minimal thanks to my medications that I am taking. I know I have an illness because occasional annoying pain rears it's ugly head but not like when I was bed ridden and had no medication.

Well today has been so very horrible. For the first time in over a year and a half I have no pain meds. It's my own fault, I forgot to call my Dr. before the weekend to get my refill. I feel like someone ran me over with a 4 wheeler. My body is stiff and pounding with pain and my cognitive function is basically shot. "forgetting" that I was ill for the longest time was good denial, but today I cannot deny that I have this darn disease and just how bad it is. I just want to crawl into bed and lay there until Monday when I can get my refill. I hate to have to be dependant on drugs, but they work and give me a quality of life in regard to being able to function. Anyone else ever forget they had this darn disease then get smacked in the face with it all of a sudden?
  2. KMD90603

KMD90603 New Member

I have CFIDS and often find myself doing the same thing. For a few months things seemed to be looking up. I still had some symptoms, but not as severe or as frequent. I'm in nursing school and also hold a 4.0 GPA to date, with two semesters left. Things came crashing down again after coming down with another BAD virus. Not sure what the virus was, but whatever it was sent me into a major relapse. I'm still struggling with it almost 5 months later. But, in the time that I was feeling a little better, it was easy for me to "forget" that I have this disease. I was able to go about my normal, daily routine. It would still wear me out if I overdid it, however, it was nothing even remotely close to what I go through now.

I think it's normal with CFIDS and fibro to go through periods where things are looking brighter. You'll have remissions and relapses/flares. It's all par for the course. And it's the relapses and flares that remind you that you are still sick and do still have to take care of yourself.

Gentle hugs,
    Kim
  3. crazydaisy0578

crazydaisy0578 New Member

I know. It's like BAM, it's back and I feel like crying and wonder how the pain can be so bad. I know I have been running on empty the past few months, working long hours, doing school projects. I try to be a perfectionist and I should realize that with this darn illness I can't. Advil is not helping a bit either, I need my Tramadol. What a miracle drug it's been for me. Even though I take it every 4 hours, it's takes most of my pain away. I have to realize that I can't pretend this disease is gone and go about life, I need to take care of myself. Sorry for rambling, but I need to vent.

Thanks for listening!
  4. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Daisy, I just realized that you posted this last Friday and I'm seeing it for the first time today. Wow that is good news that you have been able to accomplish so much without being weighed down by the terrible symptoms of DD morning, noon and night. So sorry to hear that you are suffering now because you "forgot" you were ill and ran out of meds. I hope that by now you have gotten meds to get you back on track.

Yes, it would be great not to have to take meds. Some people are able to get along without them. Some of us need meds to have a better quality of life. The reality is that you do have an illness and if you must take meds to function, then, I guess, you can be thankful that you have a doctor who will prescribe what you need.

I hope you are feeling much better today.

Lolalee
  5. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

but my third major relapse reminded me oh so well! It's been a month, and I still feel feverish and flulike. When will this go away?!!!

CherylSue