Former beauty queen with fm is spokesperson

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Oct 22, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

This arrived in my email today.

Former beauty queen Jennifer Watkins finds meaning and a message to share in her FM.

Article Review from Fibromyalgia AWARE Magazine (Sept-Dec 2002)
    by Diana Karol Nagy

In this cover story, Elisabeth Deffner tells the story of Jennifer Watkins, Miss Pennsylvania USA 2002, who breaks stereotypes of beauty queens. Now 26, Watkins was diagnosed with FM at the age of 15, when she was a cheerleader, scholar and typical busy teenager.

Watkins says FM now "gives her opportunities she would not have had otherwise." She tries to use her celebrity to reach out to others with FM and let them know they're not alone. In addition to her charitable work, Watkins is director of media relations for a Pennsylvania company that produces several beauty pageants.

Watkins was shocked when first receiving her diagnosis and needed much care off and on until she was around 20 years old. When she was first diagnosed, she was just told to deal with the pain. But now, she gets multidisciplinary care and is off all pain medication. She takes vitamins and exercises as much as she is able to. She also believes that laughter is the best medicine.

Watkins started competing in pageants at age 18. At first she was afraid to tell people she had FM, because she was afraid people would think she couldn't work hard, but after she won Miss Pennsylvania USA 2001, she began to speak on behalf of FM. She says, "There's no reason to hide it. I'm not ashamed."

She goes on to say that having FM has changed her, but in many ways she is now a stronger person. She admits to having bad spells, but she deals with them and then moves on. Watkins wants people to know that with FM, "you can have a life, be active and reach out to others in need."

Next week: It's Not Imagined. "New brain-scan proves what people with fibromyalgia are experiencing is real pain."

For more information on Fibromyalgia AWARE Magazine or to subscribe, see the National Fibromyalgia Association's website.

This article review is not intended to be an endorsement for Fibromyalgia AWARE Magazine or the National Fibromyalgia Association. It only serves to provide information about fibromyalgia to health care consumers.

copied & posted by Jaci

(Edited by Moderator)
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

This arrived in my email today.

Former beauty queen Jennifer Watkins finds meaning and a message to share in her FM.

Article Review from Fibromyalgia AWARE Magazine (Sept-Dec 2002)
    by Diana Karol Nagy

In this cover story, Elisabeth Deffner tells the story of Jennifer Watkins, Miss Pennsylvania USA 2002, who breaks stereotypes of beauty queens. Now 26, Watkins was diagnosed with FM at the age of 15, when she was a cheerleader, scholar and typical busy teenager.

Watkins says FM now "gives her opportunities she would not have had otherwise." She tries to use her celebrity to reach out to others with FM and let them know they're not alone. In addition to her charitable work, Watkins is director of media relations for a Pennsylvania company that produces several beauty pageants.

Watkins was shocked when first receiving her diagnosis and needed much care off and on until she was around 20 years old. When she was first diagnosed, she was just told to deal with the pain. But now, she gets multidisciplinary care and is off all pain medication. She takes vitamins and exercises as much as she is able to. She also believes that laughter is the best medicine.

Watkins started competing in pageants at age 18. At first she was afraid to tell people she had FM, because she was afraid people would think she couldn't work hard, but after she won Miss Pennsylvania USA 2001, she began to speak on behalf of FM. She says, "There's no reason to hide it. I'm not ashamed."

She goes on to say that having FM has changed her, but in many ways she is now a stronger person. She admits to having bad spells, but she deals with them and then moves on. Watkins wants people to know that with FM, "you can have a life, be active and reach out to others in need."

Next week: It's Not Imagined. "New brain-scan proves what people with fibromyalgia are experiencing is real pain."

For more information on Fibromyalgia AWARE Magazine or to subscribe, see the National Fibromyalgia Association's website.

This article review is not intended to be an endorsement for Fibromyalgia AWARE Magazine or the National Fibromyalgia Association. It only serves to provide information about fibromyalgia to health care consumers.

copied & posted by Jaci

(Edited by Moderator)
  3. allhart

allhart New Member

maybe its because im cranky and in alot of pain tonight but is a pretty perky and energetic spokes person suppose to make us feel better well i guess aleast shes spreading the word but its one of those things where are friends and family say look at her she has it and she doing pretty grate!! yeah i guess im realy cranky and maybe just jelouse,
    i think i better go to bed before i get in trouble !

thanks for sharing the post
    kara
  4. Fairyeyes

Fairyeyes New Member

I am sure people look at me, and think, "hmm, she looks like she's in excellent shape. How can she really be sick.". I know for a fact some people think that.

But ya know, when we have a spokesperson who is a FORMER MODEL, for crying out loud, maybe people will think twice before they make assumptions based on how a person looks.

5. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

from my 'about health' email newsletter.

glad you posted it.

Also fibromyalgia was mentioned on (great! fibrofog hits me)the show w/ Ted Danson, he's a grumpy doctor UGH! can't remember the name! I think it's on Sunday's now
  6. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

BECKER!!!!!!!!!!!

Did anyone else see it?

and yes, she was a bit 'perky' weird
  7. blondieangel

blondieangel New Member

but then again I look great and model too. The article just didn't go into details, like how sick she is, her symptoms, severity, etc.

I have never heard of her though, so I don't know how well she's 'getting the word out' so to speak!
  8. sofy

sofy New Member

put me in the Huh bunch. I'd be chipper too if I had enough brain to hold a job and enough energy to bathe, dress & go all in the same day. If that was a representation of me I wouldn't need help because I'm real good at biting the bullet and pressing ahead. Probably an age thing. My engine is out of gas but the car still looks pretty good. I'm moaning. omg I hate moaners
  9. glendamarie22

glendamarie22 New Member

What did they say about Fibromyalgia on the show? I have nver heard this mentioned on anything like that, so I'm really curious about what they said, even though I'm sure it was just a passing comment. Please let me know!

~Glenda
    [This Message was Edited on 10/24/2002]
  10. crimsontide

crimsontide New Member

I couldn't believe that they mentioned fibromyalgia on "Becker"--I thought the female character said that she "had" it as a child, so that Becker (since he is a doctor)could correct her error. That is the first time I've ever heard it mentioned by name on television. I'm a fan of the show and have seriously considered writing to CBS to inform them of their error in suggesting it is something you recover from.

About Jennifer Watkins--I saw her speak a month ago at a conference in Wheeling. She does look amazing and maybe it is good to have someone who is young and perky and attractive to come out and say she has fibro, but even I couldn't help but wonder--how does she do all that she does? She can't possibly feel as bad as I do, or she couldn't. It could give normal people the false impression that all of us should be able to be like her.

Love,
    L.