Found A Support Group In SW Florida

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just attended the monthly meeting of a CFS/FMS Support Group in Cape Coral at the Lee Hospital there. This appears to be a pretty good group with strong mediators who keep people from getting too negative and keep them on focus.

Our speaker today is a Yoga instructor who is going to offer Yoga classes for people with our illnesses. Next month, a doctor is going to speak on the Guai treatment. I met Meg, who was the one here asking about a support group in our area. Meg, if you're here, I really enjoyed meeting you.

Y'all know I swore I would never join a support group because I have no patience for whiners, not people who need to vent, but people who constantly complain without trying to help themselves. I didn't see much of that going on today, so I am going back next month with some of ProHealth's brochures.

Anyone from Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, Naples, or other nearby areas would probably enjoy this group. I'll let y'all know what we discuss about the Guai after next month's meeting.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I just attended the monthly meeting of a CFS/FMS Support Group in Cape Coral at the Lee Hospital there. This appears to be a pretty good group with strong mediators who keep people from getting too negative and keep them on focus.

Our speaker today is a Yoga instructor who is going to offer Yoga classes for people with our illnesses. Next month, a doctor is going to speak on the Guai treatment. I met Meg, who was the one here asking about a support group in our area. Meg, if you're here, I really enjoyed meeting you.

Y'all know I swore I would never join a support group because I have no patience for whiners, not people who need to vent, but people who constantly complain without trying to help themselves. I didn't see much of that going on today, so I am going back next month with some of ProHealth's brochures.

Anyone from Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte, Naples, or other nearby areas would probably enjoy this group. I'll let y'all know what we discuss about the Guai after next month's meeting.

Love, Mikie
  3. dd

dd New Member

Hi Mikie - I've never been on a support board that had anyone in my town. This is great! Can you give me more information on the support group in Cape Coral? I would love to go next time. I didn't even know that there was such a group here locally.

May I ask what Dr. you see for your FM or CFS. I have had a hard time finding a Dr. that I like or that believes in CFS/FM. I was seeing Dr. Jodi Grossflam (highly recommended) but did not like her bed-side manner.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi. I was born and raised right here in good ol' Ft. Myers. I am a true Florida cracker.

Take Care,

Debbie
  4. TiredbutWired

TiredbutWired New Member

I contacted the cfids association and got the info and called.I have missed the last 2 meetings due to being ill.I now have mono and was afraid to get someone sick,I am not sure if it is a cold or the mono but did not want to take any chances since our immune systems are always on the lookout for a new infection.But now that I have heard good things about the meeting from 2 people.I can not wait to go.Debbie,Where do you live in n.Ft.Myers?We have property off of slater road but live off of daniels.There is also a group called Women helping Women CFS/Fms group:Ms.Kay Ferguson #239-432-1559 she was going to get back to me with details but never did.I am so excited that there are people in Ft.Myers.Would love to visit and look forward to meeting you at the meeting.I go to Biodoron in Hollywood Fl,it is Dr. Kellers place {he use to work with Nancy Klimas}they have been very aggressive with me and have found many things wrong,they do many test and are in immunology.Have not met Dr.Keller yet not intil Nov.21,02.I can not beleive how nice everyone is they said 7 days a week 24 hours a day you can contact them and they would prefer you have a appointment but will except walk ins.I have had to call and the Doctor called right back and got me in the next day.It is nice to have that security.I also go to Dr.Lapp in NC and he referred me to Biodoron and they work together.Sorry I am rambling!Tracey
  5. dd

dd New Member

I live off of Nalle Rd. in N. Ft. Myers, by Lawhon's Grocery. We should get together one of these days. I don't work because of this DD and have been on SSD for almost 2 years now. It would be nice to meet you. I used to have a lot of friends and socialize a lot but not anymore. So, it would be nice to meet someone that knows what I am going thru. Feel free to email me if you like at ddelvecchio@comcast.net.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Debbie
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We had a member down at the beach, but she hasn't posted in a long time.

I live off Summerlin near Lakes Park in South FTM. The meetings are the third Sat. of every month at 10:30 at the Cape Coral Hospital.

I see Dr. Cossu who admits he knows nothing about our illnesses. What makes him great is that he's willing to learn and go along with treatments which I research and which are not harmful. He has been great!

I could not get into Dr. Grosflam, so I see Dr. Baldinger at IMA. He only treats my FMS and osteoarthritis symptoms, but he is willing to write my Rx for Klonopin. Dr. Cossu does not write controlled types of meds due to a clause in his malpractice insurance. That's they only way he can afford it. Dr. Baldinger does not believe in chronic Mycoplasma infection and will not discuss any of my CFS symptoms. I see him every three months basically to get my Klonopin.

Geez, I hope everyone can make it to the next meeting. I look forward to meeting y'all.

Love, Mikie
  7. TiredbutWired

TiredbutWired New Member

I am so excited that we are all so close.Finally we can have a family reunion when we feel up to it.Ha!Ha!I love to cook and use to ALWAYS look for a excuse to have a party.Have not cooked in long time but I am looking forward to getting back into it.Love,tracey
  8. Imnoangle

Imnoangle New Member

Mikie, Thank you for letting me know that it is ok not to be able to get up sometimes, do the support groups really work.
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm not sure because I'm not sure what you expect to get from a group. Small intimate groups where people meet in homes are much more supportive emotionally. This only works if everyone gets along and no one is using these sessions to wallow in self-pity on an ongoing basis, looking for enablers so he or she does not have to take responsibility for his or her own healing.

The group I found is really an organization with strong moderators who keep things moving and focused. There were probably twenty people at that meeting. They have monthly speakers and mail out a newsletter. This is more my cup of tea, but I think there will be some friendships formed, especially if those of us from this board meet there. We might even spin off our own group. Who knows?

It is hard for us to socialize sometimes and it would be nice to find kindred souls to take in a movie, lunch, or dinner with sometime. I am getting into scrapbooking and that might be a fun getogether for anyone who is interested. I'm not working right now and I have no family here, so my time is less restricted than some of us.

Y'all have heard me swear I would never join a support group, but I guess it's true that we should never say never.

Love, Mikie