Found cause of my back pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ontariogirl, Oct 18, 2005.

1. ontariogirl

ontariogirl New Member

For years I've had recurring lower back pain. Would come and go. This last couple months it's decided to come and stay.

Kept telling Dr. and being the pain is right in the area of fibro trigger points that's what I was told it was--fm pain

But after being on this site and hearing what god-awful pain you guys are enduring this didn't sit well with me. Yes I had pain but not nearly to the extent I've heard you all talk about.

So I basically nagged my Dr into doing xrays.

They found I have an extra vertabra which has fused to the one below it in kind of a strange way--causing the pain.

Nothing they can do about it but goes to show we do know our bodies a little better than given credit for.

Wishing you all a pain free day
    Marlene
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

Ow! Nothing can be done, so you will always have this pain? I hope they give you something to help with pain.

Glad you were right, however...just sorry it's not something that can be fixed.

Thanks for sharing!

Sue
  3. ontariogirl

ontariogirl New Member

So far I've been managing the pain with ice packs , Ibuprofen and avoidance of any movement that will irritate it more.

I can get heavier drugs for the pain anytime, my Drs really good about that but until it becomes really unbearable I want to stay away from the powerful stuff.

I come from a family of very addictive personalities--so am scared to jump into that arena till I absolutely have to.

My heart goes out to all sufferers of pain!!
    Marlene
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Ontariogirl .. I think I was told I have an extra vertabra as well when they were doing a dye test yo see how damaged my sciatic nerve was from a herniated disc .. had surgery over 10 years ago .. helped .. but I still have pain and have to be careful.
    What I wanted to say .. and not sound cliche` about it .. was that gentle stretching really helps .. I was always very stiff even while in my teens .. but I tried yoga .. and NOT the "wrap your legs around your head" silly version .. it really helped with the pain and tension in my lower back .. may be if you give a try, it would help your pain issues a bit ? .. I put on meditation CD .. sound of water .. forrest .. what ever makes you relax .. and do the stretching ..
    Good Luck !
    Fudge : )
  5. ontariogirl

ontariogirl New Member

Thanks for your suggestion about the stretching--will definitely give it a try.

You gave me the best laugh of the day with the "not the wrapping your legs around your head kind". Visualized this stiff, overweight body of mine just trying to get close to my knees let alone my ankles...

Still chuckling
    Marlene
  6. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I totally agree that we know our bodies better than anyone. There have been many times I pretty much told my doctor what was wrong with me and she use to surprised when I was right. She isn't as surprised any more.

I was having horrible back pain where I had to roll on the floor to get out of bed and stand up. I knew it wasn't just fibro pain and had been saying it for a long time. I had x-rays done and lo and behold I have osteoarthritis of the tailbone as well as in my knees.

I find a lot of times it's like bringing your car into the garage when you hear a funny noise and you get there the mechanic can't hear it.

Tigger
  7. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Ontariogirl .. hey I'm in Kingston remember so we are provincial cousins? haha ... I'm NO skinny mini .. 5'9" .. and far from thin .. if anyone tried to picture me doing yoga they would wet their pants most likely ! haha
    BUT ... it works slowly but surely .. even while I'm laying on my bed ( early in the evening .. I have no life .. haha .. thank god my hubby understands ) .. I stretch my legs up after hugging them .. and this helps amazingly enough .. I don't roll out of bed and get pains in the back first thing in the morning any more ..
    I really hope you give it a try ! .. a good hint is to warm your back muscles with a heating pad first .. it relaxes them .. a little more flexability too !
    Let me know how you do !
    Fudge ... the yogi comic ? haha
  8. ontariogirl

ontariogirl New Member

about the heating pad 1st.

Will have to remember to lock the bedroom door too cause hubbys way to handy with the digital camera--and that's one picture no one needs to see!!!!!!!!!!

Nothing in the world like an Ontario moon--:)

Marlene
  9. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

You may have the best Dr in the world who you trust but you never know. I would take my Xrays and get a second opinion. Just a thought! Lynn