Found something to stop pain in my legs - you won't believe what!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kar1953, May 14, 2003.

1. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

Yesterday I was driving the bus & my legs hurt soooo bad - that needley tingling nasty pain. I can't take any rx pain meds while driving, so I had some ibuprofen with me so I took three of those about 7:45. By 8:15 the pain was gone! And it hasn't come back as of yet. It's so weird that all the stronger rx's don't touch this pain but ibuprofen does. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I'll take the pain free legs as long as I can.

Just thought I'd let you all know what happened for me.

Take care......Kathi
  2. MemoryLane

MemoryLane Member

I was told, by a medical professional, that you can take up to 800 mg of Ibuprofen in a single dose. This is the equivalent of the prescription strength of this drug.

Glad to know you found some relief,

Lane
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Ibuprophen is a great drug. It's an NSAID for inflammation but it must have something in it that works well for our pain.

Yes, you can take up to 800 mgs every six hours, not to exceed 2400 mgs in any 24 hour period. Often, much less will do the trick. Ibuprophen can be hard on the stomach and rarely cause internal bleeding, so it's best not to use it unless you need it. On the other hand, taking it regularly for chronic pain works better than taking it sporadically.

Love, Mikie
  4. kerrymygirl

kerrymygirl New Member

I can not do ibuprofin anymore. It tore up my stomach when doc was giving it to me for spine. My dad had 1 days worth in hosp., he never took meds. Almost bled to death. So just becareful if you start having tummy problems. It used to help me some. Take Care!
  5. mrmadd

mrmadd New Member

Iam sure you already know this, but what has cured the same pain in my legs, the growing pains, has been magnesium taken with some calcium. I take anywere from 500ml to 1 gram a day and it has stopped the pain.
  6. sofy

sofy New Member

hi doses can lead to stomach problems and raise your blood pressure. Years ago when I had polymyalgia rheumatica I was treated with very high doses of this and prednisone. It caused a drug merry go round. Had to take scripts to protect my stomach and bp meds to keep that in check from the drugs. Consult your md if using it on a regular basis. Oh yes never take this on an empty stomach or if you drink alcohol
  7. tinaeve

tinaeve New Member

not to take ibuprophen along with meds such as calebrex,bextra,etc...These are the same as and you don't want too much in your system.This is what my doc told me.
  8. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

who responded to this post. It is sure great to be able to get input from so many. I just love this place:)

I know many are concerned about too much ibuprofen & I am well aware of the problems that can occur if you take it too often. I very rarely take anything like that. I'm not on any other arthritus meds that I'm aware of. I am still pain free in the legs & I took the ibuprofen 15 hrs. ago!

I used to take it for headaches, but since I got a supplement from my doc to prevent migraines I have only had a few regular headaches & didn't take anything for them. I used to wake up every morning w/a headache, but not since the supplement. For me it seems to prevent migraines & regular headaches.

Anyhoo, thanks for your comments & advise. I do appreciate each of you.

Take care........Kathi
  9. nancyb16

nancyb16 New Member

I have been taking Ibuprofen for years for my muscle pain, sore shoulders back spasms. I take 600mg am and pm and sometimes I may wake up with pain that the Ibu isn't helping and a quick hot shower usually will relax the spasms and I can get back to sleep. I too take it regularly so as to keep it in my system.When I had my back surgery several years ago I started taking Ibu when I stopped tylenol #3, and I even tried tylenol but did not get the same relaxing relief. It is best to take it with a little food or something to help with the tummy stuff. It is a wonderfull otc drug and I love it, good luck. Nancy
    Oops almost forgot to tell you that I Heard from a Pharmacist reporting on new meds for Alzheimers prevention that they have data that suggests that Ibuprofen is showing to somehow prevent this disease from developing along with vitamin E. I work with alzheimers patients daily and beleive me there is a disease I hope I never have to deal with personally, but many of us will so why not use a drug that helps us in more than one way. Hi Hi[This Message was Edited on 05/14/2003]
  10. selma

selma New Member

800mgs 3x a day for a long time with no relief.
    I'm soo happy that it's working for you.
    Onward and UPward. Love, Selma
  11. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I also take Advil Gel caps (Ibuprofen), the gel caps are less hard on the stomach, and work more quickly than a tablet.

Do try to take the lowerst dose and see if it helps (it also recommends this on the bottle), if not than increase it slowly.

I can't take pain meds period! So I have to rely on something that does not upset my IBS. The Advil gel caps do not bother me, but I am very careful when I taking them and how much.

Also be sure to eat before you take it. That always helps.

Glad you found something that works for you...

Shalom, Shirl
  12. kar1953

kar1953 New Member

I don't know what growing pains are like but mine is this:

I get a burning, tingling, pins & needles deep in my leg nasty pain. Don't know how else to describe it. My doc says its RLS.

Is this like yours?

Take care.......Kathi