Fox 5 News Dr. Hatshaw/1 Question?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Reg1, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Reg1

Reg1 New Member

Hi again, relating back to my previous post, this doctor totally believes this disease is "Stress Related" How many of you think your's is stress or something else. Myself, I truly believe mine slowly progressed from a botched hysterectomy i had 6 yrs ago. Before that i was fine. (((HUGS))) Reg
    [This Message was Edited on 12/27/2002]
  2. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

I think that stress contributes to it. In 1991 on my B-day a month after our 1st son was born we were in a car accident. I injured my neck. I recovered with time but I was not put under any stress from Ins. Companies. In 2000 I had a work injury to my low back. Major stress due to work comp, however I have never recovered and am dealing with this DD now and pain again from the first accident.. So, given I have had nonstress and stress with injuries I would say that it does in my experience contribute to the DD. I am not saying that it is what caused it but i will say due to the stress I feel my body could not heal and i am with this due to it.
    Just my take on the situation.
    Joannie
  3. Kimba

Kimba New Member

From my research stress may bring FMS, but it is not the only thing that can trigger FMS. Stress or trauma can bring it on. Trauma can include operations, falls, car crashes etc.

My doctor and I have traces my FMS back to a trauma caused in boot camp 12 years ago. I have been in pain, in my ankles and legs and one shoulder for 12 years. In the last three years I have had three surgeries in my ankles and my pain shifted to my whole body. My podiatrist sent me to a rumey who diagnosed me with FMS I have 14 points. So there are a lot of things that can cause FMS it is not just a stress-related syndrome.
  4. Annette2

Annette2 New Member

I never had a car accident or botched operation, or any abuse. I think mine was brought on by mental stress. I was going through a lot at the time and it caused the FMS to surface. When I'm under a lot of stress I get flares. I think most of us must be programmed to have FMS and something brings it out. My son has ulcerative colitis and stress caused his illness to appear.

Annette2
  5. teach6

teach6 New Member

I believe stress was a great contributor to my developing both CFIDS and FM. I cannot pinpoint it to anything else, like a viral illness or an accident.

Barbara
  6. SCARLETT415

SCARLETT415 New Member

Mine have been so many things over the past 20 years. However, my first diagnosis was after I had my first bout with Mono and it never really seemed to go away. Have had several recurrent episodes. I have been in several car accidents where I was the victim. I have had 2 major neck operations in the past 3 years. My last one was in March of this year and I am not completely healed yet. I think it is a combination. I also am Hypothyroid. Here is a scary thought though. My 31 year old daughter, who is also Hypo, is showing some of the same symptoms I have had in the early stages. She is wondering if she may have Fibro.
    Anyone else have family members with this illness?
    Annette3
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And it can trigger our illnesses and it can make them worse. It is not "the cause" as far as anyone can say right now because no one know what causes our illnesses. I believe in a genetic predisposition, but all kinds of things, including stress, trigger our illnesses. Be skeptical of any doc who claims he knows "the cause."

Love, Mikie
  8. Reg1

Reg1 New Member

Just a thank you to those who posted. STRESS, what a MESS>
  9. Jenelle

Jenelle New Member

is believed to have caused my Fibro. I had a neck and upper
    back injury and had to have stitches in my head. I was under a chiropractor for treatments for six months then off
    for six more months thinking I could handle the stuff by myself. I year after the accident I was in a different chriropractor office who agreed it could have been brought on by the accident. Eventually a family doctor diagnosed the problem and I have been on various medications every since. I think I did have tendancies before the accident but that the accident brought the hurts to full force.