fox news and friends and fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by irishred, Mar 10, 2006.

1. irishred

irishred New Member

This morning while watching the news on fox and friends they had this Dr. Manny on there answering question on different medical topics and one was asked about treatment for fibromyalgia. His answer was absolutely asinine he said fibromyalgia efected mostly middle aged women and they need to exercise and lose weight. Here I was in bed feeling so bad and this was like a hard slap in the face. I felt totally disrespected. We all need to email,write call or whatever and let this so called doctor know he has totally disrespected all of us who suffer from fibromyalgia and because of his attitude he could cause more harm on all of us through his attitude. If he doesn't know the answer then he should admit it. As long as this attitude is out there it will only make it harder to get honest treatment and good research to help us. So I say give him hell.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dr. Weil told Deborah Norville that if we just fell in love we would feel better. Quack, quack, quack!

Love, Mikie
  3. kdeenak

kdeenak New Member

I was pretty stunned. I always liked Dr. Manny until today. He said that fibromyalgia was caused by an "inflammation" and affected certain areas of the body and you needed to exercise those areas and the inflammation would go away. Fibromyalgia affects my whole body!! It is a transient pain that affects all parts of the body, some parts more than others, but you just never know when you wake up sometimes what is going to be hurting you.

FM makes my back hurt the most and when I work out if I do exercises that really work those muscles, I am in a lot of pain for days. So my husband, who is a PT, told me to stay away from those exercises (duh!). So, Dr. Manny's great solution to FM would absolutely not work for me, and I have a sneaking suspicion would not for many others either.

Hugs,

Deena
  4. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

and be more physically active and lose some weight. Ha.
  5. jacampbell

jacampbell New Member

"our rheumatology clinic at the University of Arizona has refused to see patients with fibromyalgia because they find them so frustrating to deal with."

I can't believe he really said that. I had a doctor tell me it was all in my head. These doctors are unbelievable. Don't they read medical news!

Is that what they told cancer patients before they knew what it was?

Argh! Sorry I just had to vent alittle.
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

MS and anything else the medical practitioners cant suss out.

If they dont know the cause or cure then 'it;s in our heads' rather than admit their ignorance.

love
    Rosie
  7. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I weigh 118 pounds and this started when I was 18 when I would work out an hour every day - so what's wrong with me?!?

We have to let this roll off our back.

Sofi
  8. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

That is so terribly disappointing, especially because the general population sees this and believes it, having no idea what we are up against.

I used to love Dr Weil, have a couple of his books and now have no respect for him whatsoever!!

We need more advocates in the media.

Sue in Ontario
  9. SilverJ

SilverJ New Member

I also saw Fox and Friends this morning and was so angry about Dr. Manny's fibro advise that I turned off the TV.
    Whata joke !!!
  10. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

The CFIDS Association of America has a media CPR (CFIDS public relations)group. I copied this from there site:

'The CPR Team helps monitor the media and respond to particularly positive news reports or correct misinformation. Many members of the team also have worked with local reporters to gain additional coverage.'
  11. ma2alex

ma2alex New Member

Not that I would ever truely wish the pain I am in on ANYONE, but when I hear things like that, I think that it would be nice if for just one day, he could live in one of our bodies! I bet he would never say something so insensitive again! When I came down with fibro, I was in nursing school, working, planning a wedding, excersizing, and in great shape. Now I am not, but that's because I ma sick! DUH!!!
    Dawn
  12. code34me

code34me New Member

I am not over weight (well about 10 pounds) and I chase a 3 year old boy all day! I know its not true exercise but it is not being lazy! I keep house and all the other things that come along with a 3 year old and a 13 year old but can not do anymore than that! So he thinks just loosing weight and exercising will do the trick? NOT!!!!!
    Codey