Fracking and Earthquakes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We've all seen the people who can light their tap water on fire due to gasses in the water supply as a result of fracking. Now, it seems that in TX, areas next to where they are fracking are experiencing earthquakes where quakes don't normally happen.

When I lived in CO, Dow chemical was pumping their toxic waste deep into the ground. It caused a pretty powerful earthquake which traveled along the Rockie Mountain foothills. They stopped and there were no more earthquakes.

Did anyone learn anything from this? Evidently not. Now, it is being repeated where fracking is taking place. Yes, we have abundant stores of natural fuel but at what cost do we extract it? Shouldn't we be more invested in alternative energy? There is a cost to everything we do; we need to weight the benefits versus the risks and costs.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm afraid that would be getting into politics. Sorry. If we haven't had our fill of politics by now, we are in for a lot more before Nov. I am finding myself getting stressed out over it all. We don't need any more stress and that's why we are not supposed to get political on the boards.

Love, Mikie