free at last

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by poodlemommy, Nov 11, 2005.

1. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

As mentioned in some of my other posts I had won my law suit against my LTD insurance. I got a buy out. WEll I got the money and this week paid off my house. The cheque was cashed yesterday . So its official I no longer have a mortgage. The house is all mine. What a relief. I get so little everymonth on disability from the governement that had I had to keep paying a mortgage I would have had to sell my house. As it stands now I will just get by but thats good enough for me. Who knows in time maybe I can get a little part time job. For now Im just so gratefull all the legal battles are over and my home is mine. For those of you doing battle, Hang in there. Dont give up.
    hugs poodlemum
  2. gnanny

gnanny New Member

what a relief!
  3. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

That is the best news I've heard in a long time. My biggest fear is that I will lose my house some day. I love my house. It's tiny and just right for me and my dogs and cats.

I am so excited for you.

Tigger
  4. HppeandMe

HppeandMe New Member

I am so happy for you!! My biggest fear is also losing my house. How did you pay it off did you keep working and put more down on the principal until you paid it off?? Please tell us.

Thanks and congratulations!
  5. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

poodlemommy .. could I ask what company gave you the hard time about the LTD .. my husband is having a hard time .. I'm just curious if it is the same one .. this is one long battle ..
    I'm very glad it worked out for you .. it gives me some hope that it will for us as well.
    Thanks for any information at all.
    Fudge : )
  6. kgangel

kgangel New Member

Good for you, what a relief that must be, I don't know if we will ever get there. I was just married about 1 1/2 ago, we both lost our old homes and have a new one together, I think we will die before it is paid though, lol!!

I am very happy for you

kgangel
  7. JLH

JLH New Member

I am sooooo happy for you!

I am sure it is a big relief to have your house paid for.

Security is so comforting.

Hugs,
    Janet
  8. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

Sounds great.Dopn't know about the lawsuit but glad you won.What does it feel like to not have a mortgage payment.Just mailed ours off today.ALways a depressing day.
  9. shalimac

shalimac New Member

Other than having good health for all, that is the best news to hear. Not worrying about having shelter each month is a huge stress reliever...everything else will follow. We all know how to cut back on electricity, heating gas, food, etc. just to squeak by monthly, but without shelter life would be altered in a way that is unimaginable. Thanks for sharing your good news and kudos to you and your's.
  10. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

thanks for the good wishes. I am so releived. I just wanted to answer the questions asked. Fudge it was Sunlife that was my LTD insurance. AS for how I paid my house off. I worked for 27 years before going off on disability. I was married then too. We alwasy paid weekly mortgage and amortised over 15 years rather than 25 so we really plugged away at the mortgage. So it was only at $45,000 when I just paid it off . Im now seperated and thank God for another law suit that I won for my car accident back in Feb. It enabled me to buy a new car and buy me now ex husband out of the house. So its funny how things happen. The car accident 4 years ago changed my whole life for the better in many ways.Its going to be tight financially for me as my job paid very well and I liked working. Now I am having to be very careful with money and live off a very small disablility cheque. Im still very very grateful though. I love my home. WE bought it brand new 7 years ago in cottage country. We picked everything in it. Its a really nice home. 3 bedroom raised bungalow. Now its just me and my 2 cats and 2 toy poodles.If I get really desperate I could always rent out a room. Or sell the house down the road if need be. For now Im staying put. I take my granchildren over night alot.(they are sleeping here right now) and this is home to them . They love coming here so I also like having it for them. Its also my childrens future inheritance. I worked hard and sacrificed alot for many years to get it paid off so it wasnt handed on a silver platter. This law suit just helped me to keep the roof over my head and Im very grateful.
    hugs poodlemum
  11. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

Hello poddlemommy ... thank you so much for your information! ... our problem is Sun Life as well .. but it is VERY complicated .. my husband is ex-military and you wouldn't believe how many ex-military, who are permanently disabeld, who PAID for LTD and a variety of other insurances/benefits, for all of their career, are being denied that benefit.

I'm so angry .. it would be too stressful for these guys to get into a public fight with the company .. many have PTSD .. a class action suit would bring it to the public attention and I'm sure it would be resolved quickly ..

Ironically if it were a private business it would NOT even be a question .. but the military makes a mess and then doesn't clean it up for their people.

I'm sorry to rant on here .. it is just so frustrating .. but to hear you were successful gives us hope .. our ombudsman is still fighting it for all of us ..

Thank you again for your story and information .. I'm so glad it worked out for you !
    PS .. one day we might be able to pay our house off too !
    [This Message was Edited on 11/12/2005]
  12. lease79

lease79 New Member

What wonderful news hun, ~*CONGRATULATIONS*~ :D
  13. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I am happy for you. We got ours paid off not to long ago and it was such a relief. Go out and do something to celebrate.
  14. elastigirl

elastigirl New Member

I love hearing about mortgages getting paid off. Now your home is really yours :)! Congratulations!
  15. poodlemommy

poodlemommy New Member

Paying off the house has helped in a emotional sense also. I split with my husband almost a year ago. I still love him but couldnt take the stress of his repeated drug relapses. Due to one of my law suits I was able to buy him out of his portion of the house. It still didnt feel like mine though. This week paying it off finally made the house feel like mine rather than ours. Its helped bring some closure. Its been difficult as I still care for him and he calls almost every day. He moved across the country and met a woman 2 months after we split and moved in with her and her two boys right away. He has been with her for 7 months now. He isnt happy either but he doesnt want to be alone. When he moved in with her it broke my heart. I knew we were over but to have someone replace me that quick was like a knife. Funny thing is I know he still loves me but it just wont work. NOw this thing with another woman was the final straw. WE never in the 14 years together were unfaithful to each other so this felt like a huge betrayal.He would never feel like my man again. So I guess in a way he did me a favour. Its been a long struggle trying to keep the marriage together. Drug addiction is a powerful thing and it destroys everyone in its path. It sure made my fibro escalate. Its actually improved alot since we split. Sorry for rambling. Paying off the house just made me think about everything that happened. It was kinda sad too as it was big goal of mine and Tims and we didnt get to share it together. Oh well thats life. Im just very grateful for how my life is today and the wonderful family and friends in it.
    hugs poodlemum
  16. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

poodlemommy ... I was moved by what you said .. it is almost like a death to deal with .. the goals you had planned to share with your ex ... all of it really.
    As much as it hurt you, it gave you a type of closure to that relationship and that part of your life.
    You are a smart cookie to see and deal with it on that level. Give yourself time to mourn the loss .. and then you can move on with a clear head on your shoulders.

I too have gone through somethiing like that .. when my husband became ill with the PTSD it was like a loss to me .. he was so different .. not in a bad way .. more easy going .. subdued .. but that razor sharp mind and problem solving capability was lost .. I miss that so much .. I feel like I have to THINK for the both of us a lot and that makes me worry whether I make the right choices etc ... it exhausts me because I'm a worrier.

In any case .. I wanted to say .. it isn't easy to let go and it will hurt for a while .. BUT ..let yourself deal with it, on it's own terms .. it will get easier and better.
    You have your home now ... enjoy it !
    Good Luck
    [This Message was Edited on 11/13/2005]

[ advertisement ]