FREE DOG OFFERED/should we take the chance?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hope4today, Aug 28, 2006.

1. hope4today

hope4today New Member

I need some advice and although I generally only lurk I thought I'd see what you all think of the following opportunity.

My 23 yr old daughter has had CFS/FM since she was 12 -off school for two years but managed to graduate from high school and even universisty. She had a significant relapse and is only able to work a few hours 2 days a week, needs lots of rest and isn't able to go out much.

My friend who just got a chiuahua (sp?) brought the puppy over and my daughter was delighted and loved the dog to bits.She has always wanted a dog but because of her younger brothers allergies and asthma we always said no.
    I asked various questions -cost, care etc and found out this was beyond our means.

Yesterday my friend approached the breeder who is willing to give another puppy to us for free. My friend and other friend will pay for shots, buy the kennel etc.

So now we really do have to make a decision. I also have FMS so I'm wondering if this is a realistic option. Although neither of the kids tested allergic for dogs my daughter is always battling the sinus thing as part of her CFS profile. The breeder said she would be willing to take the dog back if things don't work out...but by then that little mutt will have probably won my daughter's heart and she doesn't need another dissappointment.

Open to any and all feedback,
    Hope
  2. connieaag

connieaag New Member

I don't know if the "demanding" nature of a dog would be beneficial to your daughter! We got our daughter 2 kittens that were 8 weeks old (she's 13 now) when she was in a really bad flare and depressed. They were a God-send! They were more than happy to lay in bed with her all day and nap! She could play with them and they would jump all over her bed. She fed them and kept the box cleaned and found out they really depended on her to keep going!

A dog is a bit more demanding -- going outside for walks, house breaking, etc. But I would def. reccomend a kitten.

Even today (18 months later) they are the best cats we have ever had. They think she is their mom, they wait for her to get home from school, nap with her in the afternoon, sit on her lap when she does school work, basically always there for her no matetr how she feels AND they even like it better when she doesn't feel well and can stay home with them :)
  3. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

...that's what I say! My opinion only...but could be just the thing she needs right now.

I don't think you will have any trouble at all with the sinus or asthma, the Mexican culture believes that a chiahuah (however you spell it) actually takes away the asthma and they buy them to sleep with the children who have it. Don't know, but could have something good.

If the breeder is willing to take him back if it doesn't work then go for it. Your daughter may just find that taking care of the little guy gives her something new and challenging to lift her spirits and feel better.
    Maia
  4. Suzan

Suzan New Member

I think it is one of the best things you can do for daily smiles! I have two dogs..well, WE have 2..one we have had for 15 years..and one for 9..and if it weren't for them..I think I would have gone crazy with this Fms ! Even on my worst of days..they keep me company...they make me get up, even when I don't want to...and although sometimes it is painful..I am grateful to have the reason to do something that is beyond myself and my needs. They are so cute..and have such personalities..they are an endless source of talk in our family. Yes, at times I have thought life would be easier if I didn't have dogs to look after..but I think my life would be less fun...less interesting..and too self centered with out them in our home. So, if you can manage the daily care of a pup in your home..and if it doesn't exacerbate existing issues for your daughter..I would add a the pet. I think that the pay back is huge..and the cost and energy output is minimal!
  5. shootingstar

shootingstar New Member

I lost my little dog a few months ago, and miss many things about him. He was a wonderful companion, brought a lot of joy to my life. However I also found it was very difficult for me to care for him. I did not feel up to walking him as much as I would have liked. Cleaning was more difficult with a dog. He had diabetes, so there was an added expense of vets and insulin. Grooming was difficult. I was not able to care for him as well as I wanted to.

I think the decision to have a pet is an individual one. If you are able to give him the kind of care he deserves it can be great.
  6. texasmaia

texasmaia New Member

here is a P.S.

I have small dogs too, Yorkie and Maltese,....they don't need to go outside. You can train them on puppy pads or even litter boxes. Little dogs need very little other than to be loved. They sleep ALOT, and will just want to lay in bed with her.

If you feed them a quality dog food, they eat very little (and their poop doesn't stink nearly as bad as cheap food.)

He will not be a lot of work, and he will just want to please her.
  7. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi Hope,

I say go for it! I have a miniature chihuahua and my sister has the sister of her.....LOL. Confusing I know but we wouldn't trade them for anything in the world.

Chihuahua's are very loyal and make a wonderful companion and become attached to their family around them. They are very playful but love to sleep.

They can also be very expensive because the chihuahua breed has been the most popular dog (breed) for several years.

All of us have had allergy testing and sure enough came back allergic to the dander of cats/dogs and every other weed outside...lol but there is a old tale that chihuahua's do not affect allergies because they have no dander.

Also they only need to be bathed every couple of months because they need to keep the oil on their skin.

Good Luck and I hope you will enjoy her/him as much as we do.

carolin
  8. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

When I was 6 years old, my pediatrician prescribed "dog" on a slip to my mom to help me back then (she first thought he gave her a prescription). It was the best thing that ever happened to me, and my parents agree.

A small dog is easy to excersise too (LOL!) unlike a big dog. training the dog will take care of some of it's bouncy nature. Read up on the breed. I would go for it.
  9. mjgkennedy

mjgkennedy New Member

Hi Hope I think it would be great for your Daughter to get the dog. I have a little Yorkie for the last 14 years and his company has been invaliable both to me and my Husband.

They are a great comfort and all they want is to be loved and they dont take a lot of looking after. The reward they give you is great.

Mary
  10. mosherpit

mosherpit New Member

I agree, dogs can make your days brighter. We used to have a dalmation and a beagle/terrier mix, now we just have the beagle/terrier. The dalmation was way too much for me to handle, too big and too strong for my FM.

The beagle/terier Bella, is amazing!! She has taken some work to get her not to pull when I walk her but she is an amazing companion. Always wants to snuggle and is awesome with our 10month old daughter.

My mother in law had a chiuahua and it brought her great joy and even got her up out of her chair with all her aches and pains to let it out into the yard.

Animals have unconditional love for humans!!!!
  11. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

I say go for it too - I have a little chihuahua mix and she is really sweet and they get plenty of excercise just chasing a squeeky toy and bringing it back to you which would be great fun for your daughter!

We have some serious allergies in our house (including pet dander)and she doesn't trigger anyone.She has also been extremely healthy - she is 13 and no major vet bills until this last year when we had to put her on medication for Cushings disease which costs us $30/month and they eat hardly anything.

The toy chihuahuas and any really inbred show line may have more problems however, you might want to talk to the breeder about what to expect from their particular line - it sounds like they are really decent people who would welcome any ques. on the best care for the dog.

Good luck!
    Gretchen
  12. TerryS

TerryS Member

I simply LOVE HIM to pieces. He is a delight!!! (Check out my profile for a pic).

HOWEVER, in retrospect, this was probably the wrong decision because he is high energy, obviously larger at 25 pounds, and requires a lot of attention - not to mention the daily walks that HE NEVER GETS because I'm too exhausted to do it.

If everyone in your family is willing to share the responsibility, it would probably work out fine. In my case, my husband was furious I brought my furry friend home and the only thing he does for me is to let my Satchimo out in the mornings to pee pee.

TERRY
  13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hello, Hope. I'm going to follow this thread with great interest because I'm trying to decide the same thing about a pet.

My two greatly loved old cats had to be euthanized, one in November 2005 and one in June of this year. I still miss them badly. A friend has suggested a small dog, another friend's daughter has a cat who needs a home, but as much as I loved my kitties, I remember the enormous amount of work and cost involved during the last years of their lives.

As for returning it, that's a nice gesture but you wisely know that once you get the dog, you've GOT the dog.... lol

If there are enough of you to help and if you can afford to make sure it gets good care if it gets sick, I say do it with joy.

Good luck!
    Marta

14. jakeg

jakeg New Member

My wife recently got me a mini pinscher for company. He's the greatest. Makes me laugh alot and helps me with exercise. He makes sure that I keep walking which has been very little until I got him.

When ever I sleep he sleeps, when he wants to play he just grabs one of many of the toys that he has and off he goes what a hoot to watch him, and he has got me to get down on the floor to play with him to, which I would never have done for any reason before he got here. I wouldn't have been able to get back up. When I first started doing it, it was nearly impossible but now I can with out using any of the furniture to do it.

He has changed my life drastically for the better and I'm sure a puppy would do the same for your daughter.

Give it a try and you'll see that it does help.

You can see my new puppy in my profile his name is Cyrus.

Take Care

JakeG
  15. ll1816

ll1816 Member

I'd say give it a try. We have a Lab that we got for our son who suffers with depression and he gets so much joy from her, and she from him.

I think it's great that the breeder is willing to take the little guy back if it doesn't work out, although I know what you mean about not disappointing your daughter.

It's a tough call and I wish you luck with your decision.

Hugs,
    Liz
  16. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I would do some research to see if a Chihuahua is right for your family, but if it works and if the breeder breeds in a manner that is for the well being of the dog then I too would say...go for it.

One thing you can do to make it easier for your daughter is to potty train the pup to the wee wee pads. I use them still for my Malt so she pees when I do. (no need to go outside in rain or snow, storms etc...)

I don't have to walk Dixie because as small as she is, she can get her exercise in the house, but she does great on a leash too.

Hugs and good luck,

Nancy B.
  17. dannybex

dannybex Member

...you and your daughter need to take care of your health, and bringing in an animal, no matter how cute it is, or how much affection it shows, also means possibly bringing in ticks, but especially parasites -- both are the last things you need.

Parasites are one of the most underlooked causes of both CFIDS and FM -- in fact, if you can afford it, the best medical advice I could give would be to have a test run by Meridian Valley Labs -- they find the nasty buggers when labs like Genova (used to be Great Smokies) sometimes miss them.

I LOVE both cats and dogs -- used to manage a huge pet-friendly building, and owned a cat myself. People think however that they're all so clean, but in reality they may not be.

Hate to get graphic, but think about where a dog sniffs (and/or WHO a dog sniffs), where a cat and/or dog licks -- and when it comes to cats -- the whole little box thing.

There's a reason doctors tell pregnant women to keep the cat and litter box away from a newborn baby -- because it doesn't have strong immunity. Just like us.

Dan
  18. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

If you get a dog that small, it does not have to go outside, unless you have a fenced in backyard. My neighbor has 2 of them and they go on pee pee pads when she cannot walk them. That is how she trained them and it works for her. She also has a mini daschund. So she has 3 dogs and birds and a husband and is doing quite fine.

I myself have 30 birds, 1 rabbit, and 1 dog, and a husband. They keep me going. My hubby helps with the feeding and watering, the dog and I go for small walks. It is great company and gives me a reason to get up everyday. I also work full time. If I had to sit home I do not think I would last long. However, that is just me. I am my mothers daughter. She was the same way when she was alive. She worked up until 4 months before she passed.

19. sues1

sues1 New Member

Anything that we really enjoy can help us get outside of ourselfs. Can make us move when we really do not feel like it, yet we do not mind that, as we do it from joy. That can help us.

We can not do everything that centers around our illness. When unable to take puppy out......have a chain near the door to fasten to the puppys collar so he can run and do his business.

My hubby never has a dog that goes in the house. He takes the puppy to bed with him. Dogs do not want to go potty where they sleep, so holds it as long as they can.

Everytime the puppy wakes up and had to go, it would start walking around on the bed and that would wake DH up and he would jump up and take the puppy outside right away.

It really does not take long to train this way. Tiring at first. But will get so it sleeps all night.

This puppy (the last one) is now 10 yrs. old, a Jack Russell, that has never pottied in the house. A very smart funny dog and yes, Hyper like they say. But perfect for my hubby.

Good Luck in your decision............Susan
  20. Loveyame

Loveyame New Member

We have one of those dogs. It has been a God send for me. When I feel like I can't take one more step the dog (WART) will look at me with those sad brown eyes and wag her tail "like come on you can do it" I find that I am able to get out of bed more often because the dog needs attention. It takes my mind off the pain and bs that goes with this dd. I say go for it!!!!!