Free program to clean adware off your computer and free up memory

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Krista47, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

Hi Everyone,

I just had a computer guy out working on our Dell and he gave me a great bit of info I wanted to pass along since many of us do a lot of research. He told me to download a FREE copy of Spybot and run it about every 2 weeks. It's the largest negative file cleaner in the world.

It gets rid of adware, trojins, tracking cookies and other stuff that is put on your computer that you aren't aware of. That's why you start getting emails for strange ads and pop-ups like crazy.

McAfee and other virus programs don't protect against these things. They will slow down your computer because they fight against each other and use up memory.

I hope I can list the web site as I'm not advertising and they don't get any revenue for this, it's completely free (like java and other software that is universal freeware). If not, I'll understand if this post gets deleted and sorry if I've abused the rules.

Go to:
    http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html

Then go to:
    the bottom of the page and it will say "download spybot - search and destroy 1.4". Click on that.

It's super easy to install. Once you insall you will need to run it. It only takes a couple of minutes.

* Open the program - click the icon
    * Then - click on 'search and destroy'
    * After the program is done running it will list all the negative files - click 'fix selected items'

That's it! I had 51 negative items on my computer. It was running pretty slow.

Good luck! Hope you're all having a great day.

Take care,
    Kris
  2. ibisgirldc

ibisgirldc New Member

You should also DL adaware. Run both...
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

All you have to do is go to www.Spybot.com and follow the directions. Spybot is endorsed by PC Magazine, so I trust it. Google has lots of free downloadable programs which are also safe.

Love, Mikie
  4. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

Aha!! I thought that's what happened!

I originally did a search on the web for Spybot and tried a different site than the one I mentioned above. At the end, it asked me to purchase their software. I'm not a computer genious, but I did realize I got the wrong stuff.

After running their program I noticed an increase in adware. I thought maybe I was nutty, but after reading your message I realize what happened.

I then ran the Spybot from the site I mention above and it cleared everything up.

Thanks for the great advice.

Be sure to get the right program or you end up with more adware. (That's why I put the web address in my post above, so it would take folks to an address that gives you the Spybot and downloads it correctly with no sneaky attachments.)

Thanks again Chessie 656, and thanks Mikie for confirming that this is an O.K. site to post and a legit free software.

Take care,
    Kris
  5. BethM

BethM New Member

will these programs work on a MacIntosh computer?

thanks, beth.
  6. matthewson

matthewson New Member

Run both ad-aware and spybot. They each will pick up something the other one missed.

Take care, Sally
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They are safer from this kind of thing. Some downloadable programs have a specific program for Macs. You can always check to see if they have Mac-specific downloads.

Love, Mikie
  8. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Kris,
    I had the same thing happen to me and I bought that one spyware program and it is nothing. I can go into Windows and manually delete all the temporary internet files and get rid of the same stuff this stupid program Spyware Slayer did. Just wasted $30 on nothing, because I don't know that much about Windows anymore. Hubby uses Win98 SE.

I use a Mac most all the time now.

Hubby uses the Windows, so I'll put that stuff on. Thanks again, Mikie and all!

BethM, you don't need to use those programs if you are on a Mac like I am. We don't get all that stuff on here.

Hugs,
    Faye
  9. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I had a young man here trying to help me with a problem. He downloaded Spybot and Ad-aware. Both do so much and have had no problems with them. My son also showed my how to use "accessories', then "systems" and defragmatize and clean disc. Couldn't believe how much junk was in them. Also supposed to download latest additions about once a week on the 2 spyfinders.

Good luck
  10. gnanny

gnanny New Member

So nice of you to think of others!

bless you
  11. lea

lea Member

Do you download the free 2 week trial?
    thank you
    best,
    lea
  12. JLH

JLH New Member

I don't know anything about computers--only know how to type on them!!!

Thanks for this helpful info!!

Janet
  13. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

SpywareBlaster is a free program that doesn't allow spyware into your computer. I also use Spybot but hardly have anything to delete since SpywareBlaster prevents all the junk from getting on the computer.

You can just type in "SpywareBlaster download" in the search bar and go from there. I downloaded mine from
    http://www.download.com/3001-8022_4-10305680.html
  14. Shadowsfire

Shadowsfire New Member

what Spy Bot misses Ad-Aware gets-I hope.
  15. Krista47

Krista47 New Member

Thank you everyone for the wonderful updates and new info. I love what I learn from this board and really appreciate everyone's comments.

Take care,
    Kris

Thanks gnanny:) bless you too!
  16. itzmeannie

itzmeannie New Member

I ran this and had a virus I didn't even know about. Those adware programs leave the doors open for viruses. This is a great program!
  17. lea

lea Member

It took me a while and finally was able to download it.
    What do I do to actually find out what problems my computer has once it is downloaded?

thanks a lot
    best,
    lea
  18. dunnlb

dunnlb New Member

I think that once you enable protection everything should be o.k. and spyware should be gone.

Another thing that I use is "pcpitstop". It does a complete checkup on your computer. It is safe and free. You go there and click on the gold key and test anonymously. At the end, you will be asked to try something they are selling, just check "no" and your results will be displayed. They will make recommendations and can auto-correct some things. When you do it once, it will be easy the next time.