Freezing cold and shaking??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by kjade, Oct 5, 2009.

1. kjade

kjade New Member

I am not sure if I am in a terrible FM flare or what. But all weekend and now today, I feel almost like I have the flu (I don't) - I am freezing. My hands and legs are hurting and aching very badly. I thought our office was just very cold, but everyone else here says they feel fine.

I spent most of the weekend outside at my sons' football games. (3 hours Sat and Sun). It was VERY cold there and it had been raining all week, so it was also very wet. I felt HORRIBLE after we left both games. I am wondering if my body is still in that chilled, painful state a day later??

Also, I am shaking very badly, and I don't know why. The last time I mentioned this symptom to my Rheumatologist, he told me it was just my "anxiety". Please....I have had panic/anxiety disorder most of my life. I know when my symptoms are from anxiety, and this shaking is definitely not related to that. (btw, I am searching for a new Dr...)

I am anxiously awaiting the results of a hip x-ray I had last week. I have had a sharp pain in my hip for about 7 months. It started when I was about 5-6 months pregnant, so at first I thought it was the pregnancy. But it just keeps getting worse. My chiro wants me to have a MRI, but my Rheum said that wasn't necessary, so he just sent me for an x-ray. I am very worried about what the x-ray may show.

From everything I have described, does it sound like it is just Fibro related?? I don't recall ever feeling this bad, unless I was sick with the flu or something. My fingers can't even type right today. It's like they just stopped working. This is so frustrating. My body just doesn't cooperate with me anymore. :( I am currently on Lyrica (again) so I don't know if that could be causing any of this either.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to vent. Any advice or suggestions please?
  2. TeaBisqit

TeaBisqit Member

Some drugs actually cause the cold and chills. You need to look up the side effects of everything you are taking and see if one of the symptoms is chills. It happened to me just with Prilosec. I froze to death for months on it. When I stopped it, the cold and chills went away.
  3. jole

jole Member

For the first two years I was sick, this was my life...all year 'round. I wore a heavy jacket to work in the summer...and got laughed at constantly, but I was just so cold and couldn't get warmed up. The only time I was warm was in the sunshine above 80 degrees. I too would be so shaky, and hurt terribly.

However, it then began to be somewhat better after I quit my job, and the past year has been even better yet. I still chill easily...can't stand any fan or air conditioner, etc. But the constant, 24/7 freezing/pain cycle is much better.

No doctor was able to tell me what caused it, and all labs came back okay. I can say since being on my liquid mag/cal supplement it's even less noticable. So I'm wondering if it wasn't a lack of something that just wasn't showing up?

Hope you can figure it out...I know how miserable that is! (And brother, do I HATE winter!!!)...............Jole
    [This Message was Edited on 10/05/2009]
  4. tamsyn

tamsyn Member

Feeling cold to the core of my bones happens every time I go into a flare, regardless of the external tempteratures. I've had thyroid testing done but the blood work was okay.
  5. SwatWife525

SwatWife525 New Member

I shake constantly, sometimes worse than others. Like yesterday when I went home for lunch I was shaking so bad that the ice in my glass was hitting the glass enough to make noise.

Its very aggravating!!!

Best of luck,

Brandy
  6. ulala

ulala New Member

when you get really cold? It could be hypo-thyroid, candida or something else, but something causes it so don't stop searching. I used to have the chills really bad, but now it seems to come and go. Could be mold, thyroid, viruses.... I hope you find the cause! Good luck!
    [This Message was Edited on 10/06/2009]
  7. justlooking

justlooking New Member

I am not sure if this was mentioned in any other reply, I am too tired to read everything, but a couple of months after I had my 3rd child, I had the same problem. I just couldn't get warm to save my life. I would put on 2 pairs of socks, layers of clothing, had the heat on high (I am in California and it was March or April so it wasn't very cold out) and nothing worked.
    I went to my Dr and found out I was anemic. I guess after having a baby the lack of nutrients, change in homonal levels and stress/exhaustion can cause it.

Have it checked into, it may be a possibility!
    Sincerely
    JL
  8. kjade

kjade New Member

I appreciate all of your replies. Thank you. A lot of what you all have said makes a lot of sense. It is so strange how these "chills" seem to come and go. I really think I either had some kind of virus or I was just chilled to the bones from being in the cold damp air for 2 days.
    While I was pregnant, I was very anemic, so that could be a possibility now too. That makes sense. And I know my house does have mold in the basement, so I have always wondered if that had any effect on me since I am allergic to mold.
    I have been taking allery medicine as well, and sometimes, that makes me feel chilled.

Honestly, I believe the shaking is caused by the Lyrica. I take it in the morning before I leave for work, and I am very shaky until mid-day. So I think I may just stop this Lyrica (AGAIN!) because it really isn't helping anyway.

It's so frustrating to have so many symptoms of so many things, and not know what is causing it. Anyway, thank you all again. I feel better knowing others have this same problem and that is comes and goes. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will be nicer this weekend, as I will be going to another football game.
  9. Empower

Empower New Member

I have been like this the last week too!!

I get this way every now and then

CANNOT get warm and just shake
  10. flossyfudleFran

flossyfudleFran New Member

hi all,

kjade,i had what you are going through,,,freezing cold and shaking.

it turned out to be a virus thats going around,as people who work in our local supermarket have it too.

my husband and grown up kids got it,as well as myself.

it lasted three days.the difference between my family and myself was that i got a migraine type headache for the three days,and my family didnt have the headache.

however a few folks that i spoke to downtown,got the three day headache too.

just drink plenty of fluids,and get some bed rest.

i was lucky that my illness started on a friday and seemed to ease by monday,so it didnt affect my job thank goodness.

get well soon.

love fran
  11. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I live in the NE where hot can be horrendous, and also winter cold, plus damp. Rgulating my body temp has been a problem forever. If I get overheated my face will stay bright red for hours. Cold is equally as bad.

I am constantly fiddling with either heat or AC .

Have you tried a hot bath to warm your body?

You may want to add layers.

When I was working I sometimes had small blue ice that I could hold or hide under some clothing. I made myself those microwave pads , some filled with cracked corn and others filled with rice for help getting warm. I made some that were only the size of a pack of cigarettes so people wouldn't notice.

You are not alone, and the flu like business is classic description for us.
  12. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late reply; I just happened to stumble upon this post.

I hope you are feeling a bit warmer by now. Absolutely, being out in the cold, chilly rain can take days to truly warm up again. Mention it to the doctor, and stay out of that bad weather! When my kids used to have games and outside stuff like that, I would go back to my car every once in awhile and warm up. Thankfully, they only eventually all played basketball--an indoor sport.

Kjade also, as soon as you possibly can, address the mold problem in your basement. Mold can have a very negative impact on your health. Someone in our family suffered dire consequences because of it. As soon as you reasonably can, make it a priority. It will be good for all of you.

I hope your beautiful baby is making you, hubby and kids smile each and every day! Feel better.

Peace--Laura