Frequent Urination

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Newswoman, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

About a month ago, I begin taking grapefruit seed extract to help deal with my candida problem. Yesterday, I begin taking a clove of garlic to also deal with the candida (I split the clove in half and swallow the halves).

As of Monday this week, I have had a huge problem with frequent urination. At first I thought it was a UTI because I had burning when I urinated. Now, I don't have the burning, but I have to go every 15 to 20 minutes.

Is it that the grapefruit seed extract that has finally gotten in my system and is flushing everything out, or is this possibly a UTI?
    [This Message was Edited on 01/09/2003]
  2. sheri

sheri New Member

Are you drinking lots and lots of water? Sounds like uti, even when the burning stops...definitely something is irritating to cause the burning. Cranberry juice is a good diuretic and cleansing for the urinary tract, but I think I would give the md a call, blessings, sheri
  3. joannie1

joannie1 New Member

UTI to me. No disrespect about the cranberry juice but I have read lately it can cause it to get worse. Don't know if it true or not. I have an irritable bladder. I go all the time non-stop it seems. I would have it checked out by your Doctor though because it could also be intersistial cystitis starting. This is very common with this DD. Good luck and i hope you find some relief soon.
    Joannie
  4. layinglow

layinglow New Member

I would be inclined to think that a bladder infection was a good possibility, as you had the burning at onset. Alot of physicians if you call ahead, will allow you to drop a urine sample off at their lab, for testing, thus avoiding a visit.
    The benefits of cranberry juice are that it changes the pH of the urine, making it harder for the bacteria to live. The down side is---unless you are drinking sugar free cranberry juice which is unpalatable to most--is that the sugar makes for a healthy environment for the bacteria, 95% of which are E. Coli, in urinary tract infections.
    Cranberry pills are an alternative to this--and are readily available--but would suggest them a prevention, not curative. Mannose is another good prevention for bladder infections.
    It is important to treat bladder infections in a timely manner as the bacteria can migrate upward to the kidneys. Kidney infections are much more debilitating. Although bladder infections usually do not due damage, reoccurant kidney infections can cause scarring.
    Please increase your water intake dramatically. Fresh lime can be added to the water to change the pH of your urine.
    Please be checked for an infection.
    LL
  5. Newswoman

Newswoman New Member

I usually drink 60 to 90 ounces of water a day, but I've been doing that for months. I never had any problems until this week. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten insurance approval, nor have I been provided a PCP. My last GP was a jerk (and I'm being EXTREMELY nice in just calling him that), however I just went through a UTI last year. Something is causing me to have frequent UTIs. I want to deal with WHY I keep getting UTIs, not just the infection itself.

By the way, I have candida so I can't drink cranberry juice or take antibiotics. I'll have to opt for CranActin, which I took years ago. Thanks everyone for your help.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/10/2003]
  6. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

as far as not being able to drink cranberry juice. I take cranberry capsules-just one a day. I don't know if these would have a bad effect on you like the juice does, but it's worth a try. I got mine through a vitamin company in the mail, but you can probably find them in a health food store.

Ellen