Frickly: recommend a doctor in Houston?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dlebbole, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Hi Frickly, I'm interested to know if you have a doctor who has been helpful in the Houston area. Thanks for any help. Dlebbole
  2. frickly

frickly New Member

I see Patricia Salvato in Houston who specializes in fibro, CFS, GWI and aids. She is excellent and will do all the tests necessary and then, actually, treat the cause rather than just the symptoms. Her prices are very reasonable and she acccepts insurance. She currently has me on glutithione/ATP injections and antibiotics. I went to doctors for seven years before I found her and she got me out of my bed.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2009]
  3. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

She's my doctor as well. I wondered if you saw her. I couldn't tolerate the ATP (palpitations) and amino acids ended up helping me more than the glutathione injections (ouch). I take antibiotics too and I think they helped me a lot. I haven't seen her in a while, I need to make an appointment. Thanks!
  4. frickly

frickly New Member

Yes, the glutithione/ATP injections hurt. It took me six weeks to get up the nerve to let my husband do it. Now, even though I hate needles, I would eagerly take them the rest of my life if I had to because it is helping me alot. If I stop taking them even for a week I start going downhill again. I am taking alot of supplements right now in hopes that I can get my body back in balance and it will start producing it's own glutithione.
  5. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

How long have you been on the glutathione shots? I did twenty weeks and my NK count moved very slightly in a higher direction. I reasoned that perhaps taking amino acids (maybe I could make my own glutathione??) would help. They ended up helping me quite a bit.

I notice you are also trying the methylation supplements. I take them at greatly reduced amounts and am not sure yet if they are helping. Best of luck to you and your son (I saw you respond to Rich's post and mention him).
  6. Lillie17

Lillie17 New Member

I've been to Dr. Salvato also and couldn't take the glutathione because of heart palps.
    What amino acids do you take?

Also I have a lot of med, supplement and fragrance sensitivites.
    What has most helped you with your MCS symptoms? Have you seen Dr. Rea in Dallas?

7. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Hi Lillie17, I take Allergy Research Group's Free Aminos. Back when I first used them, I used the maximum of 6/day. I had a decrease in my symptoms of weakness and fatigue.

Early on, my worst symptoms were MCS. I was pretty much a prisoner in my home for a few years - I still have problems with this. Hmmmm. What helped the most? First and foremost was avoidance, and that continues to be very important. But I also used evening primrose oil, which made a difference. It's all a complicated puzzle; through the years I've found that some symptoms come and go, but chemical senstivity (and weakness/fatigue) has never really left me.

I did see Dr. Rea; not much help there. I was way too sensitive to everything and everything they tried made me worse.
  8. kat0465

kat0465 New Member

is my DR also, she is very kind & tries her best to get you feeling better, which is more than any other DR has done for me.

just wanted to let ya know, shes about to move her office again after this month. i think just a block down from where shes at now.

i couldnt do the shots either, after the 4th one i started getting numb spots on my thighs,so she stopped them

9. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Thanks for the heads up on the move. I actually will see her fairly soon and I had forgotten that she is moving (again!). I agree she is very kind; she prescribed fludrocortisone for my low BP and HORRIBLE thirst when my regular doctor said "nothing was wrong." It's helped me.
  10. frickly

frickly New Member

Sorry I did not see your reply until it was bumped. I have been on glutithione/ATP and antibiotics for about four months. I have been on the supplements for about two months. I have literally gone from sitting in my chair all day long to almost a normal life again. The CFS is still there but I can feel myself getting better each week. I still have a high count of M. pneumoniae and my glutithione is not where it should be. I don't want to ever go back to where I was. I beleive that the supplements are making a huge difference in my day to day life. I have run across many people on the web who see Dr. Salvato. I have never heard anything bad about her. Good luck to you as well. I hope we are both able to get control of this thing.

Take care,